Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

Steering wheel play AND bouncy bouncy

Hi peeps,

I think i got some steering wheel play in my C. I can turn it about an inch or so both ways and essentially nothing happens. Conversely, there is sometimes some strange feedback from the steering/wheels as if they are not hooked up a1 - the play working in reverse presumably? Is there anything that can be done about this?

BJs and all front and rear bushes are new, as are shocks and springs (and a load of other things too!).

ALSO, when i am driving to work down the A23 there are a number of dips etc and when i go through them i feel like the front of the car is bouncing. I put a boge turbo gas suspension kit on it about 6 months ago. I think the shocks are okay, put i think the springs are pants, hence the bouncing - they came in the box with the shocks. I think the top mounts got done too. I dont really want to spend any more money, particularly when i dont know what the problem is and how to fix it, and i have spent a shedload on getting my alignment done twice now. Anybody got any ideas as to the cause and possible cures?

When i go through the dips going round corners its bouncing and with the play it aint that fun!

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

DF.

Yeah mine feels like that too occasionally, despite replacing *everything* under there.

I do know that my top mounts are dying for sure and I suspect my front two Konis have had it aswell. Plus I know my camber is set to -0.75 instead of -1.2. When I can be arsed to rectify all these, I'm sure it will be a beut to drive again :)

Your bouncing might be down to duff shockers too..... sh1tty roads like mine kill them off pretty quickly unfortunately..... which is why I went with Koni because they come with a lifetime guarantee.

The car shouldn't bounce more than a few times after going over a bump. If you feel like your on a boat after you've gone over a bump the shocks are knackered.

Most likely you're seeing play in the steering rack. Are you sure nothing happens though? No wheel movement at all? Not cheap... But it'll stop the car from scaring the pants off you while you drive down country lanes, so gotta be worth it, IMHO.

The bounce might be normal. I've got one thousand miles on my VR's Sachs Advantage gas shocks and they do bounce in dips. (These are identical to the Boge turbogas.) I'm running standard VW springs.

So how can i reduce the play in the rack? What is the play down to? Is there something i can tighten? I heard there was some screw or whatever in a Mk2 for tightening the rack - is there a similar thing in my C?

I dont think my shocks are knackered - when you go in a proper dip/hole you can feel them working, just more general up and downy dips that makes me feel like im on a rollercoaster - I aint going slow btw!

You can't reduce the play in the rack, you have to replace the rack... There may be an adjuster for some of the older non-PAS racks, but I don't think any Corrados have adjustable racks.

The play is probably wear in the pinion bearings, or wear to the rack or pinion themselves.

The steering rack does in fact have an off-center adjustment bolt. Unless the rack is brand new, you should never touch this. Definitely sounds like your rack seals are going b/c with slight increases in p/s system pressure the rack is not responding. As you increase your turning effort, the rack responds. Check your rack boots for fluid as that is normally where the seals go first.

R