Sign in to follow this  
20valver

Camper Vans

Friend of mine is about to start looking for a camper van. He wants one as a bit of a project and try and forefil that dream we've all had at some time!

Anyone got any advice on where to pick up one? and source spare etc.....

Know of any good web sites and forum to help him on his way?

Cheers lads! :wink:

blimey, strange world. Coincidentally just picked up my 'new' 34 year old camper today! Am new to the air cooled game myself but would be happy to pass on any tips as I discover them....

Found mine in Autotrader locally beleive it or not, hidden in the Commercial / Van section. Ebay seems to turn quite a few up, but I would advise NEVER buy a Camper sight unseen off Ebay, no matter how tempting the photos seem. If you can get to see one before you bid then fair enough, but sight unseen is madness as campers love to rot!

I Had one up untill recently! Had to sell it to pay for a new roof on the house :cry: :cry: :cry:

Here is a pic:

...by the way, for spares 'Just Kampers' are renowned. Their website is http://www.justkampers.com. Phone them on 0845 1266266 and they will send a free catalogue.

For insurance i can't recommend Norton Insurance highly enough ( 0121 246 5050 ) they have been excellent so far. Most mainstream insurance companies won't touch old campers, or take the p#ss with some outrageous figure but Norton recognise them and gave me a great quote.

For breakdown cover I would get individual cover with the AA. Phoned them today to check and they will still cover recovery of a 34 year old camper, as 'the individual is covered not the vehicle', so any vehicle I drive including the Corrado and the camper are covered all for one cost!

P.S. I can heartily recommend getting an early tax exempt one. Such a nice feeling going to Post Office today and getting a years tax for nothing 8) . Makes a change from the usual daylight robbery of the motorist.

P.S. I can heartily recommend getting an early tax exempt one. Such a nice feeling going to Post Office today and getting a years tax for nothing 8) . Makes a change from the usual daylight robbery of the motorist.

recieved an e-mail the other day with the governments new plans structure for taxing, on pre 73cars, there gonna scrap-it and make us pay, as you said its fun to go to the post office and smile when they say FREE, and we all know that being happy is not allowed in this hell hole!!!

Alan H. Schofield supplies just about any body panel you'll need for your camper... definately someone whose contact details are essential for a camper owner! 8)

pretty sure there is an early 70's VW camper van in the local paper up here for just over £2k........if i find the ad and if its still for sale if its in aberdeen i'll easily take pics of it for yer m8.....though won't be able to offer much pointers as to whether its worth the money :?

I Had one up untill recently! Had to sell it to pay for a new roof on the house :cry: :cry: :cry:

Here is a pic:

lovely wheels

ovalthemoon, NOOOOH, tell me it's just a Daily Mail type b****x scare story, or is it gospel going to happen?!

unfortunatly so, the man Brian Burrows sent an email around stating the fact and urging everyone to protest on the DVLA web site, personally i reakon a mass VW meet in the center of london, be a laugh