Sign in to follow this  
Rob_B

g60 top speed

tried topping out my g60 and hit 133 according to my road angel. not as good as i would have expected. had stage 4 rebuild at jabbasport 10000 miles ago, chip, 68 mm pulley,induction kit and supersprint backbox. the car is running on 17's but it shouldnt make that much difference. any ideas?

also the fuel economy is real crap! 17-19 mpg on the mfa. is this normal?

any help is greatly appreciated

Was that fuel economy whilst you were doing 133?? :roll:

If that's your normal fuel economy they you're using your right foot far to much or something is wrong with the fueling on your car.

Timo.

dont know what the fuel was reading whilest at that speed, was just keeping an eye on the oil temp. i wouldnt say that i hammer the car everywhere, but that is generally my normal fuel economy

I read somehere Jabba chips are mapped in such a way to dump loads of fuel through, maybe thats the problem :afro:

Yep, sounds like theres a problem there, I have roughly the same spec but Gwerks charger, 68mm pulley and SNS chip and the timing set up to run on Optimax, I get 25mpg minimum and hit 150mph a few weeks ago (GPS measured :wink: )

I did 140MPH indicated (133MPH GPS 'actual') but ran out of runway to see what its total top whack was. Felt like it could have kept going onto 150MPH thoug definately. Just would have taken another mile or so I think :)

No erroneous temperatures either - oil never went above 112 degrees centigrade.

I got an indicated 142mph (139.8 GPS actual!) on the same day as Jim and also ran out of runway... she wasn't pulling hard anymore but was still pulling a little, so I reckon 145ish absolutely balls to the wall...

133 top with 17-19mpg sounds like a dead blue temp or lambda sender to me...

yeah thats what i thought, as if its overfuelling

i took off the blue plug when the car was idleing, and the rpm dropped slightly

removing the plug for the lambda sensor did nothin to the rpm or anything

G60 Corrado's can be a bit inconsistant with their top end speeds. This is manily due to their inadequateOE intercoolers which cannot cope with the demands of the cooling needed under susrstained high boost conditions. They heat sync pretty quickly which in turn leads to higher inlet tempretures. The CO pot/intake air tempreture knocks the ignition timing back above 42'c which further impedes performance.

G60 Golfs will pull good top end speeds consistantly as the intercoolers are so efficient.

It may well be that your CO pot sender is knackered and the two things you describe (poor mpg and lack of top end) are related. If the sender is shot then the ECU uses an assumed value which will give poor MPG.

Also check you have not got any boost leaks, you may just simply be loosing boost and have not got the boost to propel the car above 130 odd.

One word of warning about little topend runs, oil seals in chargers do not like extended high RPM. The combination of shaft speed, higher oil tempretures and pressure exerts quite a strain on them.

hows it goin steve?

i got a 140mph and run out of road, havnt done another run since i fitted the rallye intercooler but it does pull harder. it wont give me more top end, but it'll get there quicker :twisted:

Beavis:

how would u suggest that i check for boost leaks?

where abouts is the CO pot sender you are refering to?

hpw much do you charge for intercoolers for the said car?

that's a good point beavis, both Jim and myself run with Golf G60 intercoolers... 8)

stel g60, Hi mate, good thanks, busy as per usual, don't worry not forgot about you new box of tricks :wink:

Rob_B, Have a visual inspection around the engine bay at 1st checking for signs of a slight traces of oil coming out of the joints of the hard/rubber boost hoses and that all hose clamps arre done up tight and are in decent repair. Have a look under the passenger side wing to see if there is any physical damage to the intercooler, a hole in the matrix will not do wonders for boost pressure. Check there are no tears or splits in the rubber hoses.

The most common place for boost leaks on corrados is the black plastic baffle box that bolts onto the charger outlet. Its is constructed of 2 pieces that sandwich together and use a rubber 'o' ring in the middle to form a seal. The 'O' rings split and boost is lost from here.

The CO pot is cube shaped sender situated in the boost hose that leads up to the throttle body that has a white face with 'VDO' written on it. It is held in via a metal circlip in the same manner as the blue temp sender, unplug the harness, extract the clip and there also should be a rubber o ring in the housing to seal the sender in. Extract the 'o' ring and check that it intact, they often split leading to a boost leak. Test the two outer accross the two outer pins(1 and 3) of the sender with a volt meter set to ohms. You should get a resitance reading of 0.5 - 0.7 ohms.. If you get extreme readings 2 or 0.1 ohms then the sender is likely to be shot.

Our custom intercooler packages come in at around £500. To give a unbias opion on matters though there are lots of intercooler options out there besides our own.

FurkiG60, And accoring to Sussex Police lazer gun LOL

stel g60, Liam has been down playing with some final features on gizmo.. Will let you know.

beavis, SURREY POLICE actually,,,over 7 miles average speed of 115mph......that alright ehh ehh :wink:

Beavis, with regards to the co sensor, should the readings be arond the 500 ohm mark as opposed to 0.5 ohms?

does anyone know what the readings on the mfa mean when you have it set in the boost mode? i.e. set in mfa 2, hold button, switch engine on and off, release mfa button and press again. ive read that the number 2 setting refers to boost, but not sure what the other readings mean

Mr Supercharged has had a genuine GPS recorded 150mph out of his G60.....tut tut.

It was on axle stands at the time so perfectly legal :lol:

Seriously tho, G-werks/Pitstop did a superb job on mine, going from 170BHP on a standard original engine and charger to what it is now (hopefully find out at the RR day coming up) 8) 150mph takes a bit of time to get to but 130 is stupidly easy...

I reckon yours is now pumping out 200+ of those chunky horses....

My mate Simon saw you and Stinkus bumper-to-bumper coming up Back Hamlet the other day. Did you see a red metallic E52 plate Scoob? He would have entertained you but with his 300hp Ecutek map, he was worried you'd blow him away, LOL!

I reckon yours is now pumping out 200+ of those chunky horses....

My mate Simon saw you and Stinkus bumper-to-bumper coming up Back Hamlet the other day. Did you see a red metallic E52 plate Scoob? He would have entertained you but with his 300hp Ecutek map, he was worried you'd blow him away, LOL!

I doubt i'm making 200 brake to be honest but anything over 190 would be good!

Yeah Dickless was trying to keep up, he drives fairly well in a straight line you know! - So Simons got a red one now has he?? cool, I didn't see it but I don't tend to notice Rice, not a big fan.

Beavis, with regards to the co sensor, should the readings be arond the 500 ohm mark as opposed to 0.5 ohms?

does anyone know what the readings on the mfa mean when you have it set in the boost mode? i.e. set in mfa 2, hold button, switch engine on and off, release mfa button and press again. ive read that the number 2 setting refers to boost, but not sure what the other readings mean

Ye, applogies, did'nt pay to much attention in electronics at school..LOL get my scales mixed up..

CO Pot should read 550-600ohms. You reading Kohms there with 0.5?

boost reading means:

Other readings are Digital tachometer, Real time MPG, and err another that Im I cant remember (air temp? and one for oil temp?)