Sign in to follow this  
pablo_vr6

MAF Part numbers - confused

ok folks from reading the forum Ive seen the following part number mentioned for a vr6 MAF:

0280 213 021

When I checked mine however its:

0280 217 504

is there any difference?

mine looks kinda like this:

021906462a.jpg

but Ive seen these ones:

AFAIK There were 2 types of MAF.

The early ones were heated wire and the later ones were as your first picture and were heated mesh.

As to which ones went onto which cars, I dunno.

Also that second picture looks like it's the same thing to me... it's got an induction kit strapped onto the end of it instead of an airbox though.

in the second pic the connector goes on at a right angle tho not straight in as per the first pic.

here is another pic of the second one:

95_1_b.JPG

Grrrr....bl@@dy forum. Typed out a decent reply and the forum nose-dived....what is going on with it? Is Andi aware it's up and down like a yo-yo at the moment?

Anyway, as you've got a 96, you'll have the OBD2 type MAF (top 2), VRs prior to 95 got the bottom MAF (OBD1 type). OBD1 = Hot wire. OBD2 = Hot film.

The two are not interchangable without a change of wiring and ECU (CP ECU required for OBD2 MAF).

However, as mentioned before, a 2.0 MAF's innards can be used to replace the VR MAF's innards (except OBD1 which isn't rebuilable in the same easy way) and costs £50.

If you don't want to do that, you will need to get the part number off your existing MAF and get a replacement from the dealer, or using the Bosch part number, go to a Bosch place.

thanks for your perseverence :)

right ok Im getting somewhere now. so where do I get the £50 one? the stealer? I dont mind fudging it.

and which 2.0 is it? Mk4 or something? I have a mk3 gti MAF in the garage but it looks totally different.

But it's the innards that you're interested in, not the tube..

I remember reading about all this on the Vortex 12vVR6 forum, but it definitely seemed like a lot of hassle finding the right part..

See the plug on the MAF (top two) and how it unscrews? I think you get the picture now.....

Buy the MAF (1999 on 2.0 GTI 8V), unscrew the important bit, slot it in the VR MAF housing, bin the rest.

You just need to make sure the plug on the MAF matches the loom. I've never tried it as I have the earlier MAF but the Vortex people swear by it.

It's up to you....chance that method, or go for the exact same one again.....

yeah I read all tha too but all I got was a sore head!

my innards look like this:

8d_1.JPG

but the golf gti one I have is TOTALLY different. the plugs different and the tubs is more of a metal box with tubelike ends and a little tiny probe coming down out of the roof.

I might take a trip to the local VW scrappy and look at MAFs in a few different cars to compare.

That's a *really* late one. You can spot mega late stuff as it all uses purple seals on the plugs.....

As Dr-Mat said, finding the right one is the difficult bit...... but if you can, it's £250 saved!