Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Road legal "track day" tyres

So many of these on the market now. like the yoko A032R, A048R, Toyo R888, the dunlop ones. all sorts available.

who's tried them, on road and track, and in the wet. and what did you think of them.

prices and suppliers are also helpful things to mention, as is tyre life.

cheers

Not personally tried any of them, but I do know that they are all appauling in the wet because they're basically just slicks with a few token grooves lightly drawn on to make them road legal.

http://www.bookatrack.co.uk supply them, but I don't know if they're the cheapest place around.

well, that's what you'd think, but after reading the article in Volkswagen Driver on the R888's and speaking to Neil himself at curborough, he said the opposite. he said they were amazingly good in the wet.

after he'd been out on thrack I had a look at the tyres, they were blistering up like proper slicks would, so the compaound must be soft as hell.

well, that's what you'd think, but after reading the article in Volkswagen Driver on the R888's and speaking to Neil himself at curborough, he said the opposite. he said they were amazingly good in the wet.

after he'd been out on thrack I had a look at the tyres, they were blistering up like proper slicks would, so the compaound must be soft as hell.

Hmm interesting. I would guess they're probably not too bad in the damp, but any standing water and you're buggered.

As you say, the rubber is going to be a lot softer than a road tyre anyway, so the trade off between tyre grip and water under the tyre must be somewhere.

The Colways are crap cos they are based on a road tyre sidewall and are as soft as anything. Try a proper tyre, Khumo, Yokohama etc. You need to speak to a proper dealer to be able to get the best advice on what type etc for your application, ie if its a syncro, big power, type of handling characteristics, and always important, the weight of the car

The Colways are crap cos they are based on a road tyre sidewall and are as soft as anything.

Colways are crap because they're re-moulds :shock:

the colways are aimed at the clubman drivers,who are on a budget,they get changed after each event so they cant be to bad,and they have been around for years

the colways are aimed at the clubman drivers,who are on a budget,they get changed after each event so they cant be to bad,and they have been around for years

Each to their own m8, I wouldn't fit one on my wheelbarrow :roll:

Have used Colways and Maxsports Intermediate tyre for track days and i have to admit that they are very good for the money.

Are available in different compounds and are road legal. Just :wink:

They are both based on remoulds but they have come a long way since the days of the tread leaving the carcase behind.

The super soft inters dont last long, last set on my Mk1 Fearesta lasted around 50 laps of Knockhill, around 60 miles.

They are evil in the wet but awesome in the dry and will do airfields and slight loose. A great choice if you have a spare set of rims for the track.

Dave Walker( Emerald ECUs) from the now dead CCC magazine uses Colways on his track day beemer. He rates them. They are cheap and cheerful yes but you can get them in different compounds.

As always it depends on your budget, personally I have had some top days out on road tyres. A539s and Michelin Exalto are both excellent for road and track.

Gavin

It's also worth noting that if you start putting slicks on, you're going to get a lot more grip (obviously) But this means you're also likely to get oil depravation and bent suspention parts if you're not careful...

Semi-slicks are the way to go for maximum trackday performance - so long as, as dinkus points out, your car is set up for it. Friends run on Avons (through BaT) in their Hondas - very reasonable part-worn offers - with baffled sumps, oil catch cans and suspension tweaking all-day to find best set-up. Looking at your specs though I would imagine you've already considered all that! One problem - do it once, you'll never go back :twisted: They never use the Avons otr though, they carry lightweight wheels to the track in the boot, first pit-stop = wheel-change and suspension drop/harden.

And setting up a Corrado for track use is a whole different ball game! You've gotta do it properly if you're going to do it......pillow ball top mounts, adjustable wishbones, 15s with slicks, Quaiffe, huge rear ARB, no ARB at the front, silly front camber, more neg camber and toe at the rear etc etc.... doesn't make for a pleasant road car tho!

Mate of mine tried a set of R888s at croft, can't comment on their wet weather abilities as it was dry but they certainly stick like shit to a blanket in the dry! :shock:

Over 100 a tyre though in 15" flavor, and his front's had maybe one track days life left in them atfer just one days use at croft...so not exactly hard wearing :lol:

I wouldn't bother for the road, get some bridgestone potenza re720's ;)