Sign in to follow this  
iandavidcassidy

please help - loads of water in footwell

just discovered loads of water in footwell )passenger). I ve seen it could be the heater matrix - but the heater works fine. ie blows hot and cold.

I can also not feel where its coming in from. ie carpet is wet but not around the sides? is it coming up throught the floor?

any ideas what it could be?

if its the matrix (providing of course you have coolant in) it will be sticky and smell/taste sweet.............best do a search on the forum for other things it could be.......

but my heater still blows hot... can it still be gone?

i would think if its just leaking a small amount at a time it would still blow hot.......bear in mind a small amount can look a lot when its splashed in/around a footwell :wink: .............if it aint sickly-sweet-smelling or sticky then more than likely its some sort of seal thats gone either window/door membrane/sunroof etc etc

IN the meantime...

Check the waterproof membranes on both doors the windscreen seal and the seal on the air inlet for the blower.

If the water is only on the top of the carpet, suspect the latter. If it's under the carpet as well, suspect the 1st 2.

Definately try the membranes in the doors. Open the door, and get someone to pour water on the outside of the window while you carefully watch the bottom of the door on the inside, if you see any water come out from behind the bottom of the door card, you need to remove the card and seal the membrane properly, once sealed check again, water will find any possible way to get through.

air inlet to the blower is a fiddly one - but its easy enough to check. With the glovebox removed pour some water from the top of teh vent area and you will see it drip into the footwell. I've used some gutter seal all round the air intake - usually the seal goes, so change that and seal up the whole area with bitumen. easy enough to use if a bit messy. Bear in mind that water can track across the plastic cover above the air intake and find its way into the cabin.

HTH

Did someone say leaks!

I have just spent about 3 days eliminating leaks in my daughter's £250 1993 Polo.

Cougar said

Clogged drain hole in the plenum, it fills with water until it goes down the fan intake vent.

Big one! - 11 years of ownership of Polo by 2 lady drivers meant a plug of leaf mush clogged the rubber willy supposed to be draining the plenum. A sinkfull of water collected around the blower motor and poured into the car when it went on an incline. Had also rotted the blower motor resistor.

Phil said

Definately try the membranes in the doors.

Membrane in driver's door had been damaged by previous "mechanic" - fixed this one with lashings of evostik and weatherproof adhesive tape.

Carpets and other trim put back today. Hope its all ok, but I once had a new Cavalier where I was unable to put the carpets down for 9 months until I found a leak above the pedals which the useless Vaux garage had failed to locate - they got some spotty youth to spray underseal into the wheel arch and said "its fixed"!

After over 20 years of experience I would say the keen owner has more chance of fixing leaks than most dealerships. All you need is patience, determination, a logical way of thinking, carpets out for as long as it takes, and a hosepipe.

Clogged drain hole in the plenum, it fills with water until it goes down the fan intake vent.

Please don't laugh...... where do I look to check this :oops: ??

Open the bonnet, look to the passenger side at the top in the scuttle tray and there is a black plastic cover. Remove that (bunch of clips) and look into the Plenum chamber - the chamber cover is also removable by a single clip and you then unhook it from the cover.. look for leaves and debris blocking up that area! :)

Had this problem last year with my G60, the black plastic cage that sits over the fan intake wasn't blocked with anything but the seal aroung the base had given up, removed it as jim says then resealed it with silicone - no more leaks, iirc loads of others had the same problem last winter and there should be a few other threads with pics.

ps carpet stays wet for ages and the soundproofing rots making the car smell :pukeright:

you need to take carpet out and soundproofing and let it try asap. your car will stink for ages if you dont! Whislt carpet up mite as well clean it lol

redlee - you can buy new gaskets for that plastic cage from VW for not very much... easy just to pick off old one and clean it, then refit new one.

And yeah.. the mouldy carpet smell is one you don't forget :gag:

you can buy new gaskets for that plastic cage from VW for not very much

Cool, i'll remember that if the 20vt does the same this winter.