Sign in to follow this  
OSV

STORM in a teacup?

A couple of the threads over recent weeks have got me thinking. There is often a thread running extoling the virtues of the VR6 Storm, and discussing its rarity, desirability and value. I'm not out to create an argument here but if we agreed that there were approx

9,000 Corrados registered in the UK of all models

1.8 16v

G60

2.0 16v

2.0 8v

VR6

I wonder how many there were of each model? If for arguments sake (no figures to support this) that of the 9,000 the VR6 accounted for say 5,000 then the Storm figure of 500 would no longer look so small. In effect 1 in 10 would be a Storm. Which means certain individual coloured models are no doubt less numerous.

So how many of each model were sold and despite the belief are Storms really that (relatively) rare? Discuss

I never really thought about it before, but i agree with what your saying OSV, Lookin at your car i also bet there is less satin silver vr6's then storm's in the UK.

Would be good to know how the numbers breakdown, bet hardly any 8v's were sold.

Somebody somewhere must have some contacts at VW's HQ (Milton Keynes???) who could run off some figures?

I'm surprised the CCGB have never attempted this - or at least a register of Storm VINs, seeing as they were scattered all through the final year's production.

There were probably fewer 2.0 8vs than there were storms.. No matter what the colour. (Within the UK at least.)

But bear in mind there's 100,000 Corrados ever made, of which only 500 are storms. Not so common when you look at it like that!

Yes but as the Storm was a UK marketing excercise its more interesting to compare it to the UK RHD market.

I'm surprised the CCGB have never attempted this - or at least a register of Storm VINs, seeing as they were scattered all through the final year's production.

They won't tell you. They'll fob you off with some excuse like raising an enquiry with the DVLA or having to search through 1000s of records blah blah.....

Ok im making this my mission, being a Sales Man I can extract this information sneakily.....

If this fails I will go for the kidnapping approach (joke before you come knocking :) :roll: :wink:

There are independant companies that can produce reports based on the DLVA's records.

I wanted to find out the numbers of Corrados registered in Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately, they were looking £400 to supply the info, so my enquiries stopped right there.

OSV very very good point made,,, although this must have bee raised before someplace and i suppose it made STORM owners look a lil bit more silly..... :p only kidding

They won't tell you. They'll fob you off with some excuse like raising an enquiry with the DVLA or having to search through 1000s of records blah blah.....

DVLA will be useless for tracing Storms as it's not recorded anywhere on the log book being a purely VW UK marketing "trick".

They must have an electronic database within VW, if you call the UK customer service number with a VR6's Reg. no. they'll tell you within seconds if it's a Storm or not! It would be trivial to extract a list of Storm reg's and VINs.

They're just being cute.

There were probably fewer 2.0 8vs than there were storms.. No matter what the colour. (Within the UK at least.)

But bear in mind there's 100,000 Corrados ever made, of which only 500 are storms. Not so common when you look at it like that!

and for added rarity throw in an autobox..............i looked at a lovely "only" 22k mile and 1 lady owner 96N-plate 2.0 8v auto just months prior to buying my storm................only seen 1 other advertised since then

Only half right. Put my reg into the RAC tool and it comes up as a Corrado VR6 Storm Auto! I put a few others in and no reference to Storm......Weird