Sign in to follow this  
Ford

Changing exhaust, new cat required. Big bucks??

mate if your car passes MOT with NO cat then even with a duff cat it should be cool. look down through the pipe and you should see light through the honeycomb (minus a bit cos of the little kink in the cat) if you cant then its blocked up :)

missed that there was a page 2 and the honeycomb thing was already posted by coolrado

Anyway - IMHO get powerflow to weld the salvaged cat and a new trim on. nice easy fix with no axles off :)

Thanks for that, I am tempted. However axle down, are we talking big labour costs? THat sounds like a major job. What are these goodridge hoses all about then? I've not heard of them, how do they benefit the car?

£225 for all the bits I need for a VAG exhaust doesnt sount too bad? It's the labour that is going to hurt isnt it?

Yeah £225 is good value for the quality of system you get.

My axle came down anyway to replace some corroded brake lines, so it was just a case of suspending the axle from the rear shocks and sliding the zorst through the gap!

You can cut and shut the rear two boxes but that would invalidate the warranty and also restrict flow a little.

But I'd wait and see if your car passes as it is first before planning on a big wallet bashing session!

8) thanks for all the advice, better get my ass down to the breaker and check out that cat and go from there...

But I'd wait and see if your car passes as it is first before planning on a big wallet bashing session!

Plus do emmissions test and see what the guys at the MOT centre say... what ever happens the tailpipe is going in the bin!

There seems to be confusion over the issue of the MOT emissions testing and the fitment of Catalysts. The MOT requires All cars first registered on or after August 1992 or fitted with a "k" registration to meet the Catalyst emissions test requirements. It does not actually require a catalytic converter to be fitted, and furthermore this is not a reason for rejection or MOT failure. A vehicle that falls into this emissions category, irrespective of whether or not it has a cat fitted, will be passed or failed according to it's gas emissions. Therefore if your car passes the cat test and you have removed the cat and replaced it with whatever alternative, you have passed the MOT requirement. I would add however that i have tested alot of vehicles which have had cats replaced with alternative non cat pipes and whilst some pass the emissions test, most do fail even if only buy the smallest margain!

I can supply Milltek Sport systems, Hi Flow Sport Cats, and cat by-pass pipes for forum customers at extremely competative prices ( please see Milltek Products thread for details). Whilst i appreciate and respect the opinions held by individuals i would urge any prospective system buyers to experience first hand Milltek products, before making final selection. I have a large custom base of Milltek clients the vast majority of which are delighted with these superb quality systems. I have had occaision to assist some clients with difficulties, but would hope that this small minority have found the after sales service offered by both Milltek and JMR to be both honourable and exemplary. It is my belief that these systems are a top quality aftermaket option, that compliment the cars they are fitted to, and have been in many cases the first manufacturers product onto the market offering credible power upgrades whilst retaining a quality equal to the engineering onto which they are fitted. I welcome all enquiries and indeed look forward to hearing from any interested individuals.

it has been decatted and this does not meet current regulations, esp as my car was registered in December 2002, a few months after the regulations came in to force (August 92). So, it should'nt really pass its MOT, but somehow it has sneaked through these past couple of years.

As 16vg60 (John) has just said - the legal requirement at that time (August 1992 onwards) was that all new cars had to have a CAT fitted. However, so far as I understand, there was a 2 year period (until august 1994) before the emissions regulations were tightened. Therefore it should be quite possible to de-CAT a 1992 or 1993 car & still pass the emissions test. Hence the reason why your car has previously passed it's MOT without a CAT.

As 16vg60 (John) has just said - the legal requirement at that time (August 1992 onwards) was that all new cars had to have a CAT fitted. However, so far as I understand, there was a 2 year period (until august 1994) before the emissions regulations were tightened. Therefore it should be quite possible to de-CAT a 1992 or 1993 car & still pass the emissions test. Hence the reason why your car has previously passed it's MOT without a CAT.

Brilliant thanks, that changes things and makes things very interesting!! I guess this means that I can now get a cat back system like the ones we have been discussing and not worry about replacing the cat, which was adding serious money to my choice of exhaust. Or I could just fix up my current powerflow. Great news, puts my mind at rest, wont worry so much about the next MOT, well at least the cat part of it anyway.... Many thanks!

anyways 430 quid is not that bad. Think about the poor motor bikers who can pay more than that for a system which would about a 3rd of the quantity of metal!

Yep, right up to the point when it starts to rain and then the Corrado becomes a much more preferable option once more :lol:

i think i paid about 350 for a catback JETEX stainless exhaust

its a really good exhaust

its as quiet as the standard one, but is 3.5" front to back. fat.

That is one seriously fat exhaust (standard is 2.5") Does it catch on the rear axle ??

That is one seriously fat exhaust (standard is 2.5") Does it catch on the rear axle ??

If it's that dimension it could probably REPLACE the rear axle...

Have been looking through this post and several others as have a problem with my exhaust. It's the original exhaust (95 2.0 16v), apart from last year, the cat went. I had this replaced at PSI Tuning, but this appears to have gone now. Andy is looking into it to see if it's still under warranty (it's just gone past 12 months). I recently had the back box and tail pipe replaced (stainless Powerflow). But now the middle box is going. ARSE! Silver Systems near me has quoted around £250 for a standard replacement middle box and cat and another bit (connecting pipe I think?) or £350 for a stainless set with sports cat.

This is a lot of wonga, particularly after I've just shelled out for a new back box and tailpipe. There are secondhand ones on ebay though, which Silver Systems have offered to fit. What I wanted to know was, is it likely these will just fit on? Is there likely to be issues with the lambda sensors, etc?

This is the sort of thing I've seen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/_Car-Parts-Access ... 286.c0.m14

Cheers!

Come on! Or I'll have to don my blacksmith's outfit, and shoe my C like a pony (ie make something out of iron and then nail the fecker on...)

Is it ok to buy an exhaust setup from ebay or will it not work (lambda sensor issues????)