Sign in to follow this  
Skimask

Noisy steering pump?

My steering pump was quite noisy, been like that for a while. I saw a couple of posts advising to use only geniune VAG fluid. £6 for a bottle, and it works a treat!!! the pump is now so quiet :lol: :lol:

Remove one of the hoses next to the pump, drain off the old stuff. Replace the hose, make sure its tight - and refill. Work your steering lock to lock, leave them straight ahead and fire the engine up.

Now there's comfort turned to brown trousers... :lol:

When you say noisy - do you mean you get the ol' whine?

Yes, it did whine, especially if moved away from the straight ahead position.

Dr Mat, I think I would've noticed if it wasn't working, have you tried yours without power steering?

Yeah I tried driving without P/S put it this way

I felt like popeye by the end of the day :-P

You actually managed to get to the end of the day?!! I made 2 corners...

I could not beleive how heavy the steering was when i was being towed by the AA. 5 min trip felt like 30 mins in the gym or 20 minutes trying to get one of the many rusted bolts off my C.

my old mk2 steering pump made a right screechy noise sometimes

it was like that cat on the old "child safety" adverts

"charlie says dont put your steering on full lock as it will embarass you"

ace - i was all ready to buy a new pump as mine whines too, will try the fluid first.

my old mk2 steering pump made a right screechy noise sometimes

it was like that cat on the old "child safety" adverts

"charlie says dont put your steering on full lock as it will embarass you"

Charlie says...little bit o bass...

You should try driving an old Land Rover (it's one of my partners vehicles) with a 2.5 litre diesel engine with no power steering! Mind you the clutch kills your leg as well. Considering what a c**p turning circle there is in it, by the time you've actually got into or out of a parking space your arms are dead and your leg is shaking all over the place trying to use the clutch!!

i hate them old land rovers

if i win the lottery, i will buy them all and destroy them, so i will never be stuck behind one again.

some old brain dead farmer pulled out in front of in an old land rover once. i hit the side of him doing 30 in my mk1 golf.

you can imagine the damage.

he got out of his rover. gave me his address. toddled back to his l rover, and drove away at 8 miles per hour. leaving me with a pile of bent metal and glass.

the guy was retarded. when i went to his house his son apologised profusely and gave me insurance details.

my brother had a land rover for while. they are dangerously unequipped and woefully slow.

they do not belong on the road. [/rant]

hehe i know!

the one i hit had a little crease in the side

my mk1 golf's bonnet was folded in half, and the door frames bent so the doors wouldnt open when i hit that thing grrrrr

They are not indestructible! My old man hit one side on pulling out of a petrol station.....result one bent land rover pissing petrol everywhere and my old man's Volvo 740 with a bent bumper and a small crease in the bonnet didn't even puncture the rad!

the guy was well pissed off turns out the petrol running down the gutter was worth more than the landy! :-)

my brother had a land rover for while. they are dangerously unequipped and woefully slow.

they do not belong on the road. [/rant]

I'll wager that my 1986 2.5 NA diesel Land Rover is better on-road than your Corrado (assuming you have one) is off-road...