Sign in to follow this  
Ford

Insurance quandry - engine upgrade

Hi, I know there are plenty of insurance questions and I have been through a lot of threads, but just want to get some advice on behalf of a friend. This friend has a 1.8 16v and has just bought a VR6 engine to drop into it... now the insurance has doubled because of it. The insurer says that it is a performance modification, which it is, but it is also a completely std engine as found in any VR6. Any idea as to which insurers are likely to look kindly on the above and give a reasonable quote? I've given him Adrian Flux's details, anybody else?

If this fails, then he is going to sell his 1.8 16v and buy a vr6. So potentially there could be a mint (recent full respray) corrado and a VR6 engine for sale. I recon he should stick it out as he has spent so much money on his car already would be a shame to give up now. But all depends on insurance.

Many thanks

Brentacre.... talk to John as he is a 16vG60 owner and knows the score!

Hi, thanks, anybody got Brentacre details, it's not in the insurance sticky contacts. Maybe could be added if they are good. Are they the swansea based insurers? Will forward privilage details too, thanks.

Best you can expect is to get VR6 insurance rates, rather than 16v. 16v was group 16 (?) VR6 is group 18. You've got to expect the prices to go up..

i am 31, no claims since 1991

an sp30, living in stafford

on a 94 vr6 comprehensive

privilege were cheapest at 950. 9 freaking 50.

i got down to 550 by requesting a higher voluntary excess. mine is 650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so thats 550, comp, with PROTECTED NO CLAIMS. oh my gf is on there as a named driver. she is 23 8)

So in other words, your insurer is setting your premium based on the 23 yr old named driver. No great surprise there then!

My insurers won't let me add my 27yr old g/f to my policy. No-one under 30 they say...

Suits me!! :)

I can vouch for Brentacre John did an excellent quote for me on a modified engine going from 160bhp upto 280bhp all in it came out to £880. I'm 24 with 2 yrs ncb and he was by far the cheapest. I cant remember the number off hand but they always have an ad in the back of PVW mag so worth flicking through there just to get the number!

possibly. although when i lived in uttoxeter it was 550 anyway. (adding the named driver didnt make the policy go up very much)

it was moving to stafford and the 3 points that made the price hike up by 400 POUNDS believe it or not (plus all policies had gone up, apparently)

car insurance is largely unfair. the premiums are based around general insurance woes at the time. IE at the start of the nineties, when all policies LEAPT up, it was because of the natural disasters at that time - the crazy winds, and the oil tanker spillages etc. the insurance co's got their money back through cars. the same way the gov't recoups cash through tax on cigarettes. the revenue of which FAR outstrips the "so called cost on the NHS yadda yadda yadda" :mad:

CHeersBANANA MAN, do you recognise the details below, are they swansea based? Can anybody confirm this?

Insurance Company Name: Brentacre Insurance Services Ltd

Telephone: 01792 650933

Address: 98 Mansel St, Swansea, SA1 5UE

CHeersBANANA MAN, do you recognise the details below, are they swansea based? Can anybody confirm this?

Insurance Company Name: Brentacre Insurance Services Ltd

Telephone: 01792 650933

Address: 98 Mansel St, Swansea, SA1 5UE

Yep, spot on.

I just called them 5 mins ago and renewed my Policy with them. I was previously with the Flux and tried to renew the policy earlier but was on hold for 10 minutes, so they can stuff it.

John at Brentacre answered the phone within 2 rings and I was covered 5 mins later for £50 more than Flux. I don't mind paying extra for that level of service. Cheapest is by no means the best and I can vouch for Brentacres superb service when dealing with claims, which is where you seperate a good policy from a sh1t one.

Excess is high though.....£450 :?

They're VW enthusiasts too so understand all the mods.

The beauty of Brentacre's policy is they cap the BHP (230 in my case) and then you can do anything you like to the car, and I mean ANYTHING and it won't cost a penny more.

Top, top guys....get a policy with them ASAP.

Excellent thanks kevhaywire, I have passed on details, so it's up to him now! Brentacre sound really good, should definatley be added to the general insurance sticky - maybe there should be a sticky just on speciallist insurers and pros and cons, as I guess most cars on here have been modded in some way.

Anyway, wIll consider Brentacre when I start a bit of engine tinkering, for now I need to get my bodywork sorted.

Many thanks

If the Brentacre quote is no good try direct line, they charge on the number of mods (limited to 6) and worked out about £550.00 cheaper than anyone else when i got my 20VT. But they are muppets and dont understand the first thing about mods. :roll: