Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

rear speaker decision . . . .

i am about to buy some rear speakers.

until now, i have run 6 x 9's on the shelf, run by a 200w amp.

i have just put a sub in the boot, and there plenty of muscle now.

i am feeling like just getting some nice new speakers to go in the sides (the shelf supports) and run them off the amp.

i have seen some in halfords and they are 50 quid and look pretty hot.

are them little speakers able to produce good volume? (bearing in mind theres a sub back there too)

that way i could keep the shelf clear.

or should i just go with the 6 x 9's?

arent they 6x4's or something? personally i wouldn't bother, you dont need them for bass if you've got a sub back there, and if you get some good speakers up front you probably wont even hear the mids/highs they produce. I've got 6x9's on my back shelf which I could quite easily turn off and not really notice much difference apart from a bit of a lack of midrange, but then I'm just running speakers in the dash up front where was you (having a vr) can put something in the doors and get that midrange back.

if i were you i'd disconnect the rear speakers and just have the sub back there, then get some componants for the front, mounting the tweeters in the dash and the mids in the doors. unless of course you carry people in the back who are going to complain they cant hear the music! :lol:

i see what you are saying

i could keep the standard rears (that are currently run from the head unit anyway) and beef up the fronts, and run them off the amp?

what size are the front 4?

I'm not sure what size fits in the doors, but the ones i have in the dash are 10cm (4" i think) and they 'just' fit without having to hack away at the dash, if you go for componants i dont think you'd have too much trouble fitting the tweeters in the dash, should be loads of room! and yeah, if you run them off the amp you should end up with a really sweet set up!

try doing a search for something like 'front door speakers'. I'm sure its been covered before :) One thing you might find is that with the volume cranked up the original rear speakers do more harm than good, as they'll distort way before the amp'd ones do.

thanks bud

and after a bit of searcing i find the doors are 5.25", and the dash are 4" (like you say)

i'm gonna do that.

i'm glad i discussed this as i was just about to go buy some more rear speakers . . . . . 8)

I went through this process, the shop I went to made me disconnect my 6x9s and just run the sub and fronts - it sounded so much better, I now have a 4 channel amp running the best component I could afford in the front from 2 of the channels and the other 2 are bridged for the sub. Definately the way to go for quality and it looks completely standard too. :)

I'm running 5.25 components in the stock locations and have 8 inch DEi mid bass drives on a stealth shelf and it sounds mint. Really fills the gap between the sub and the comps. You can run the comps and the DEi's from the same amp as well as the 8 inchers have their own crossover

components up front and a sub in the boot , its the only way to fill the sound out, otherwise its all too tinny with the stock small speakers