Sign in to follow this  
joby

Audi TT 225

That's great, a full-on "debate", and neither me NOR the haywire were directly involved!! And I thought this forum was dying off... ;)

get a room you two... ;) :lol:

.............not a great idea tho Henny....................those two would argue who would or wouldn't "bite the pillow" :D :D :D :D

get a room you two... ;) :lol:

.............not a great idea tho Henny....................those two would argue who would or wouldn't "bite the pillow" :D :D :D :D

Now that's an image I REALLY didn't need as I tuck into my lunch... :pukeright: :lol:

That's you 4 off my christmas card list :p

Are you skiving off work again Mr Wilbury?

:p Took a few days off to eBay loads of stuff for the Corrado/Ibiza Cupra/Golf/Alfa* fund actually :lol:

* For those who care, I had a moment of looking at different cars. But I think the Corrado makes more sense now 8)

Having read this i think the winner is Nelson far better argument the comebacks were a little lacking im afraid.

seriously though this has to be the most well mannered forums on the net the others motorbike especially are terrible people arguing all the time!! fun though init!!

ive had mine for 2 years neerly and no problems at all, absolutely flies .tonns of grip handles ace.

Well having switched from a Corrado to a TT225 Coupe six months ago, I thought I'd give my tuppence worth...

I've done nearly 8K miles in it now, and mileage is showing 54K. In that time I've had only 1 fault with the car, which was a faulty Diverter valve (which cost £22 to buy and was an easy half hour DIY job to replace).

Agreed, there are some serious reliability problems with certain components on the TT. The dashpod (instrument cluster) does seem to be prone to early failure (though mines okay at the moment, touching wood furiously!). Audi customer services have been terrible at resolving this problem (check out the TT forum if you want some very interesting reading on this). The dashpod itself is made by an Italian company, so this might explain the unreliabilty! Another recent fault seems to be with the DSG gearbox on the 3.2 V6, though most of these are being dealt with under warranty at the moment.

As for driving enjoyment, I find the TT a real hoot. It has loads of grip in the wet or dry, a fantastic smooth engine with loads of tuning potential, an interior that just oozzes quality and an exterior that is a design classic.

Granted, the level of driver involvement through the steering and suspension could be better, but this can be improved on by the addition of a good quality suspension setup such as the Koni/ H&R combo. The car as standard is more of a cruiser than a B road bruiser, but that just suits me fine.

All in all, I think the car is fantastic. As for the TT being a gay or hairdressers car all I can say is I haven't met either of them in the TTOC yet!

Cheers

Mark

Well having switched from a Corrado to a TT225 Coupe six months ago, I thought I'd give my tuppence worth...

I've done nearly 8K miles in it now, and mileage is showing 54K. In that time I've had only 1 fault with the car, which was a faulty Diverter valve (which cost £22 to buy and was an easy half hour DIY job to replace).

Doh, I forgot the faulty Cut-Off valve problem! :lol:

Agreed, there are some serious reliability problems with certain components on the TT. The dashpod (instrument cluster) does seem to be prone to early failure (though mines okay at the moment, touching wood furiously!). Audi customer services have been terrible at resolving this problem (check out the TT forum if you want some very interesting reading on this). The dashpod itself is made by an Italian company, so this might explain the unreliabilty! Another recent fault seems to be with the DSG gearbox on the 3.2 V6, though most of these are being dealt with under warranty at the moment.

Yep, components made in poorer countries seem to be ruining Audi at the moment. 10 years ago nearly all of there parts were built in Germany, or at worst in Europe. Nowadays a good majority of the common faulty parts are made in Slovakia, China etc. Whats strange about the Italian dashes is that they are also fitted to A3's yet they almost never fail! (note: almost!). So its obviously something unique to the TT dash that is failing so often.

The DSG problem is something that I was aware of. But as we haven't come accross it yet I've never really bothered to look into it. I know early DSG's were recalled because they were underfilled by 1/2 litre of Gearbox Oil. Perhaps this was causing failiure/poor selection? I now know Audi no longer shout about the 'Launch Control' feature on them though :lol:

Despite those minor problems. I think the DSG TT is the only thing thats saving the car and its the only one I've ever come close to actually enjoying driving. TT's definately grip the road well, but thats because the Haldex system is so good! However, I know i'm not alone in this opinion but I actually found the S3 much more enjoyable to drive, as well as being more reliable, practical and better looking. The S3 also don't seem to suffer as badly from the wooden, unresponsive feel you get from the steering.

As for driving enjoyment, I find the TT a real hoot. It has loads of grip in the wet or dry, a fantastic smooth engine with loads of tuning potential, an interior that just oozzes quality and an exterior that is a design classic.

Agreed, the 1.8T is a fantastic engine for tuning. But I'd still rather have it in an S3/Cupra.

Granted, the level of driver involvement through the steering and suspension could be better, but this can be improved on by the addition of a good quality suspension setup such as the Koni/ H&R combo.

Thats cheating! :lol:

All in all, I think the car is fantastic. As for the TT being a gay or hairdressers car all I can say is I haven't met either of them in the TTOC yet!

You've obviously never met the Suffolk lot then :o

to be fair i had a g60 8 years ago and people used to call that the hairdressers car and before that the scirroco was the hair dressers car

The Toyota Supra was always called a haidressers car, My mate is a Barber and he drives a Golf Gti 16V! I guess that must be a Barbers car then :lol:

I have to say, a colleague of mine has a TT Cab 3.2 DSG (in Black 8) ) and it is fantastic.

It is a quick car by any account, coupled with great brakes and that DSG gearbox. The bodykit on the 3.2 does toughen up the looks no end.

I have nothing against TTs, just feel that if I were to buy one it would have to be a 3.2 - anyone who has never been in one get down to your Audi garage.

(I have a VR6 BTW :D )

The 3.2 was never in dispute :lol: It's a great car, period.

I'm still not overly keen on the coupe though. I prefer the roadster. But both look really meaty and purposeful because of those huge arches and big wheels.

I'd rather have an S3 though :wink:

After owning Corrados for 6yrs, I now have a MKI Audi TT 3.2V6 DSG and I am totally in love with it. Best car I've ever owned - I'd still name my VR6 as my favourite car that I've owned though. The TT in 3.2V6 guise is gorgeous and a head turner - DSG is incredible. It feels to me like a Modern Corrado and I love it. It's all personal opinon I suppose but you must admit that the original TT is a unique car - being developed almost exactly like the Concept Car and the styling was pretty ground breaking for the time - plus it's already a classic - folk are still driving them in 2035 (I Robot)! lol

I know i'm not alone in this opinion but I actually found the S3 much more enjoyable to drive, as well as being more reliable, practical and better looking. The S3 also don't seem to suffer as badly from the wooden, unresponsive feel you get from the steering.

As for the S3 - I had one before the TT and I hated the driving experience in it - TT steering is much more responsive - albeit with a slight understeering tendency. The S3 was too ordinary and boring looking and sounded awful compared with the V6. It was definitely more practical with the 2 rear seats actually being able to sit adults!

My God, how did you find this thread after 5 years buried :lol:

In hindsight, after having read the thread I was perhaps a little harsh on the TT :lol: but you need to remember it was different times then. The common problems which I moaned about 5 years ago have now all been sorted with modified/improved parts and the 3.2 DSG was an amazing improvement over the 225, although to be fair it does have our favourite VR6 in ;)

So, as long as they've had the common issues already addressed such as the ARB's and the Dash Cluster they actually respresent a good Used Buy in 2009 ;)

Although we'll have to disagree about the S3 vs TT 225. The lack of weight on the TT's rear end can make it a difficult car to control on the limit, as many people on the Nurburgring will testify :|

Had my mates 3.2 TT for a couple of weeks...have to agree they are bloody nice!

He just spent a fair old wedge getting afew bits done. TTQS wheels, miltek, lowered, remapped LOL car is so much better for it now! Can really highly recommned APS if you need any work done, they are the Dons!

Couple of bits to watch out for, dodgey sump plugs! and vibration in the DSG dual mass flywheel!

I think a Mk1 TT is now looking like a really viable alternative to a Corrado - would love to one of the stripped out 225 models, the one with the black roof. With decent suspension, a Milltek and a remap they could be a decent drivers car