Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Switch colour changes

Next step is to work out how to bridge the PCB on the gauge pod to get the LCDs to be ignition-live so I can invert them without hacking up the back of the pod...

Good luck with that dinkus. The limit of my electrical expertise is swapping led's for bulbs - sounds like your problem is slightly more complex than that :wink: Do fancy doing the W8 interior light conversion at some point though - it does look good...

I'm gonna get Mr. Failure on the job.... hmm good point - I need to get that spare gauge pod back off someone for the fiddling to commence....

Just your interior lighting just now if possible.

I shall see what I can do this evening :)

Erm, kind of been mentally busy, so er no - but I'm gonna be fitting my DDI gauges tomorrow night, so will get some piccies then :)

dont suppose anyone has 3 spare red led's that will go into the early window switches? :D :oops:

can paypal a few quid for em!

they are all i need to do now,oh and maybe the sunroof switch,does that need an led too? or can a filter be swapped?

cheers,neil.

dont suppose anyone has 3 spare red led's that will go into the early window switches? :D :oops:

can paypal a few quid for em!

they are all i need to do now,oh and maybe the sunroof switch,does that need an led too? or can a filter be swapped?

cheers,neil.

take a trip to Maplins, they're pennies, sunroof is an LED

cheers m8,which ones do i need exactly?

i have read through the thread but its got me confused :oops:

cheers,neil.

cheers m8,which ones do i need exactly?

i have read through the thread but its got me confused :oops:

cheers,neil.

not sure, but it's the smaller size, doesn't have to be 12v or have a built in resistor etc as the switch has the resitor in it already, I just soldered one in that I found on an old bit of computer hardware and it's worked fine for a year or so.

ahh cool,cheers :)

goes off to rummage through old crap in cupboard! :lol:

neil.

Right - didn't get the DDI gauges in last night, but will have the bezels in next week and the gauges er another time.

I've also got no cigarette lighter er light, no mirror switch light and no heater controls light. The in-dash switches are still green and the gauge pod is still standard.

However, I do have red window and sunroof switches and a red illumination gear know (Rieger).

The plan is to get the DDI gauges in with white illumination (or possibly UV but not sure about that yet), reverse-glow, red LCDs, red in-dash switches, red mirror switch, red heater controls and red cigarette lighter surround.

I took pics, but it's so dark outside that all I got was a blurry red glow on an otherwise black picture :lol: Will try again when I've got the plan a little more progressed and there is some streetlighting.

audioline house phones come in handy!!! :lol: !

switchesred.jpg

leccy window switches

switchesred2.jpg

sunroof switch

switchesred4.jpg

headlight switch

switchesred11.jpg

green abs light too!

switchesred8.jpg

looks mint with the dials and fog/heated window switches now :D

dialsnswitchesred3.jpg

Yup - mine looks the same as that (apart from the fact that it's late-dash not early)

Red LEDs are all the same colour so they all look the same :)

yeah 8)

i used filters on the fog/heated window switches,and they match perfectly! the bottom pic was in the light compared to the others being in the dark thats all 8)

although,if i find anymore household goods... :lol:

a watchmakers screwdriver set comes in handy 8) especially for getting the insides of the window/sunroof switches out.

you have to sort of pop the 4 lugs in (on sides of switches) and then push/pull the insides out.

as for the soldering,try to 'tin' things up best you can,i chopped the old led's off and left the legs there then soldered to these.

edit:oh! and dont put the covers back on the switches until you have tested them in the car,the led's need to be the correct way round!

neil. :)

Dom - will these LEDS do the job?

Er, if you want your switches to be flashing on and off all the time, yeah, but I'd go for these 12v ones and these 5v ones

You want the following parts for a late-spec interior (not sure about early)...

Window switches - 3x 5v (the originals are actually 2v, but 5v will be fine)

Mirror switch - 4x 5v (I think they're 5v - need to just double-check - they may be 12v)

Sunroof switch - 1x 12v

Cigarette lighter surround - 441 919 343 (couple of quid Audi part)

Any dash-mount switches need a 12v LED each as well.

I'm not 100

Dash switches use 12V bulbs as std, so you need 12V LEDs there. Window use std 1.87V LEDs. Early sunroof uses 1.87V LED with an inline resistor to cope on 12V - either use a std 1.87V LED again and re-use the resistor, or replace both with a 12V LED. Not sure on the late sunroof switches as I've not done one yet. Get them all from Maplins, not eBay... ;)

I've pulled my headlight switch apart and would rather change the filters than solder in leds, the filter on the switch symbol is easy enough but how do you colour the centre prism type thing? And why are some green and some orange?

Are you guys colouring the centre or just the backlighting for the symbols?