Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

Jewelultra Diamondbrite Paint sealant

Hi folks,

Just happens to be that my neighbour works for VES, a car valeting company in Coventry, and demonstrated treating on epanel on my Mk1 Rocco with Jewelultra Diamondbrite.

This stuff is a 2-stage application. The first stage involves applying some spirit-based window-cleaner with Diamondbrite Stage 1 using an applicator, letting it dry than apply Stage 2 with the same applicator, letting that dry (15 minutes !!), then wipe it off with a clean cloth (a bit of hard work to get if off).

The improved shine was apparent compared to the adjacent body panel, but my concern is longevity (yes, I know I can read the product maker's bumph on their website, but than I might as well believe in fairies, as companies will never highight disadvantages :lol: ), cost (it costs anywhere from £150 upward for a little 125 ml bottle :shock: ), what the use of normal car shampoes does to it, etc.

Any one else had any experience with this stuff?

My neighbour's left me everything to have a go myself on the rest of my Rocco over the weekend :D , but before I apply something that's got too many disadvantages, I'd rather hear some other people's experiences :D

Tempest

I'm amazed you let an 'untested' car polishing compound near your MK1 at all Eric :D :)

My wifes Gran has just bought a secondhand Merc from the stealers and they fleeced her for the diamondbrite treatment, £399 for the treatment including the interior which is leather, the cars black and looks amazing but as they have only had it for a week I cant comment on longevity, does look ultra shiny tho 8)

I'm amazed you let an 'untested' car polishing compound near your MK1 at all Eric

Yeah, admittedly, I wasn't feeling too well, and still am not, the more I'm trying to read up on this product (other than from the manufacturer's own website), and find its weak spots. Oh well, it's only one small panel that's done, but still I even can't deny the improved shine.

In my searches I have, however, come across this rather interesting forum for car valeters (particularly note the contribution made by the guy from the UK, "Dan loves tea", on Max Power car owners and how to make more money on car enthusiasts like us :lol: ).

Ohh, isn't the Internet wonderful :lol:

Anyone else tried this stuff? Yes, it's normally applied only by professional valeters (at ridiculous prices), but humble me can now apply it as well, for a pint or 2 :D

Tempest

I had it on my tornado red mk2 valver for about a year and a half and the effect on the paintwork was amazing, not once was I bothered with the paint turning pink in the sun like my previous 2 tornado red ones. I didn't pay to get it done though so not sure about its value for money.

OK, just had a quick word with my own trusted bodyshop in Coventry regarding Jewelultra's Diamondbrite, his reaction was:

"Get if off straight away, you'll have to T-cut it off !!! Then re-polish with Autoglym Super Resin, and re-wax. It's good in the short term, but in the long term it eats into your paint !" :shock:

He even reminded me that my Mk1 Rocco has 8 layers of clear coat :lol: Has he counted them, I asked myself? Well, I suppose he's worked on my Mk1 Rocco often enough to know :D

Tempest

Eric> just out of interest, who's your trusted bodyshop?

Ricwells, The Arches Industrial Estate Unit 22.

Tempest

OK, just had a quick word with my own trusted bodyshop in Coventry regarding Jewelultra's Diamondbrite, his reaction was:

"Get if off straight away, you'll have to T-cut it off !!! Then re-polish with Autoglym Super Resin, and re-wax. It's good in the short term, but in the long term it eats into your paint !" :shock:

He even reminded me that my Mk1 Rocco has 8 layers of clear coat :lol: Has he counted them, I asked myself? Well, I suppose he's worked on my Mk1 Rocco often enough to know :D

Tempest

See I've heard that using Autoglym Super-Resin repeatedly leaves streaky spiderweb type effect on your clear-coat.

If you really want to spend that kind of money, then Swissol/Zymol have to be the best options. I've got a stash of P21S stuff, which is the very teutonically named German stuff that doesn't smell like the girly flowers and fruit that the *ol stuff does. It's a little cheper than the other 2 (presumably cost saved from lack of perfume) and it's supposed to do a good job, but I've not had a few hours spare to try it out yet.

What's the address of this Car Veleters Forum?

Oops, sorry forgot to include the URL in my first post mentioning it :oops:

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=19678&t=19337

See I've heard that using Autoglym Super-Resin repeatedly leaves streaky spiderweb type effect on your clear-coat.

Just to clarify my possibly misleading statement

Then re-polish with Autoglym Super Resin, and re-wax. It's good in the short term, but in the long term it eats into your paint !"

The first bit refers to how to treat the paint once I've T-cut off this Diamondbrite, the second sentence refers to the Diamondbrite stuff itself 8)

Just in case that wasn't clear :lol:

Tempest

The more astute among us understood the mild cutting properties of Super Resin as a way of removing the diamond brite, rather than going off on a tangent slagging off Swissol's sweet aroma :lol:

Can't knock that aroma.. Zymol smells like coconut and banana, AND it does a bloody good job on the paintwork too :)

The more astute among us understood the mild cutting properties of Super Resin as a way of removing the diamond brite, rather than going off on a tangent slagging off Swissol's sweet aroma :lol:

I understood the mild cutting attributes would remove the Diamond crud, but thought it would be useful to advise on long term use of the stuff :p

And I thought some other comparable (but from the sounds of things better) products may be useful.

The comments about perfume were somewhat tongue in cheek, you should know I don't take anything too seriously by now :D

hi all,

Have had Jewelultra Diamond Brite applied to all my cars for many many years and it has been fantastic, no fading paint, getting tar spots off is a breeze, and washing the car is done in half the time. Had it applied by a mobile valeting company (who can trust a car dealer), he spent all day preparing the car and appling the diamond brite, i thought it was clean before but it was outstanding after.

The best reason is protection against the elements, bird droppings etc, many of my friends have had this applied and no side affects, it does what it says.

as for the shine, cant comment if you can get a better shine with loads of layers of wax but you dont get the same protection, my valeter told me he has tried them all over the years, super guard, gleam, nano, auto glym but diamond brite gives the best protection for the longest amount of time with the least amount of attention.

cheers

Dom, been using SRP for donkeys years and never seen this "Spiderwebbing" you're talking about...

But then I don't go to the lengths some go ("That AstraVXR guy" for example :cuckoo: ) in inspecting the paint on my car!

SRP seems to be taking a bit of an undeserved pasting of late, just because it's been about for Years! TBH gives a better deeper shine than the comparable Megs product, but then I've heard a Horror story about paint reactions with Meguires products from the US as well!

Eric out of interest what's the "Usual" process on the Mk1?

This thread is 4 years old by the way, vwdeviant..

Yep I know, Just Eric's Rocco looks amazing evey time... so was wondering what he does with it... And if he stuck with Diamond-brite (guessing not!)

This thread is 4 years old by the way, vwdeviant..

Yep I know, Just Eric's Rocco looks amazing evey time... so was wondering what he does with it... And if he stuck with Diamond-brite (guessing not!)

Well I think the paint doesn't fade or get too shabby on it because he only does about 500-1,000 (dry) miles a year in it, and it's covered & garaged all the rest of the time.

As I understand it he doesn't have any specific / magic cleaning process and just uses normal car cleaning products - Meguiars NXT and so forth! :)