Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Henny's J-DUB G60

Beavis Thanks for that note and your concern. I know that the TSR 2 litre I mentioned is based around the van engine and, IMHO, is more suited to be a diesel engine than a free revving G60 due to the stroke length,( :shaking: ) that's why I'm not going down that route although I have spoken to a couple of people with this conversion and they're happy with it, I just feel it isn't the right option for me... 8)

I know that there are plenty of other ways of getting more power outta my engine while I'm rebuilding her, and believe me when I say that your 1.9 pistons are well up on the possiblity list if anything doesn't quite go to plan with the 2litre :D however I tend to agree with the words of the good old yanks "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches..." :lol: so if I can get as close to 2000ccs as possible while staying reliable, I will! :)

Valver whose MKI was that? That's gotta be one mentally fast car, my MKI 16V was fast, and I've driven a 2litre and a G60 MKI and they were faster, but a 2L G60 MKI has gotta be an eye opener :shock: I'd be really interested in talking to them to get their opinions on the conversion that's been done... :wink:

Beavis> what did u make of that genuine 2.0 G60 Mk1 Golf at the Brum ClubGTI meet? That is running an EIP tuning crank, Ross pistons, Eurospec head, R1 charger, Rallye-spec i/c etc etc....should be getting mapped soon, he's hoping for about 260-270bhp with silmilar torque!! :twisted: 8)

Ye... that is a tool.. using proper kit, executed properly. The crank will take the torque and the pistons the extra stresses exerted on them though the increased compression. The car is silly on the standerd pulley at the moment, plus the head flows for the CC unlike the standred G60 choked head.

The homework has been done on that engine, 2.0l using some nice custom stuff. The concerns I have is that most people who choose the 2.0l route just gather the componets that will give the dimentions and mechanics needed to go 2.0l without considering the strength and integrity of the kit being used. A componet that is good in its normal application is just a disater waiting to happen in a forced induction application.

I gotta watch how i phrase this as I obviously have a bias, vested interest in this matter.

I'm not saying that 1.9 is best, just saying it is the simplist route to take without upsetting the charcter of the G60 engine, sacrificing strength and can be easierly achived using strightforward kit. The 2.0l in the mk1 is a beast, but also has the price tag to go with it, ye, all objectives can be overcome if enough money is invested, but for the majority of people that route is simply out of finacial reach.

Ker-ching.... :lol: My wallet recently became quite fat, so I'm not going the cheap route, however I'm also not just throwing money in every direction too!

I've a definate plan, and after just talking and finalising the plan with John (16VG60) we're going ahead with the project with John supplying the internals for the block and doing the bottom end work, and myself re-assembling the rest and modding all the bits I wanna do elsewhere :) 8)

This should be a really interesting, torquey engine which will be well matched and pretty much factory reliable... 8)

Keep watching folks... This could take a while, but will be worth the wait... 8)

pretty much factory reliable...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought you'd appreciate the sarcasm in that one! :roll: :lol: :wink:

I also prefer the supercharger route of forced induction

Henny, Volksspeeds 20v G60 Rallye used a G-lader instead of a Turbo and after having a bit of a race with my mates 150bhp 20v T A3 i know i'd go down that route with the head if i had the money. If 16v G60 is one of the better options for G60 tuning, then a 20v must be ultimate. It really puts the power down better, and i'd personally, love to know more about the 20v head conversion on a G60.

dubster82that's all in the future for me... at the moment I just want a nice, quick, standardish looking G60 engine in my 'rado so that she's back on the road as my daily driver... Then I can sell the Golf Driver I've just bought and get on with my REAL project car which is my MKI golf GTI before my parents scrap it 'cos it's been sat in their garage for nearly 4 years! :? :shock: :lol:

I agree that a 20V, G60 supercharged, 2 litre would be one hell of a combination and probably break your neck with the torque if you could get the grip, but I can't afford to go down that route at the moment with either the time, or the money... :(

ah, maybe next year when I get bored! :lol: :wink:

Right, I finally got some time to start work on J-Dub so, as promised, photo stripdown time! :D

I've not just been sat on my bum doing nothing since the crank bolt sheared off... Before I could even start to work on J-Dub I've had to knock the back wall of my garage down, design and build some new garage doors and rewire my house putting in an armoured cable to the garage so I've now got power in there... All this 'cos of a £2 bolt! :roll: :? :lol:

And more photos from today's session...

I've now discovered that the when the bolt sheared it apears to have done no damage at all to the pistons or valves... :shock: However, the bores are VERY worn so a rebore and rebuild would have been required fairly soon anyway... :D

After 225K + miles, I'm not very suprised though! :lol:

YAY! I bought some new toys for J-DUB! 8)

A quick thanks to Leew and scotcorradog60 as well...

Leew for pointing me in the direction of http://www.vwspeedshop.co.uk/pg/cataloguepages.htm which is where I got my new gauges from, and scotcorradog60 for the mounting panel which will replace the ashtray area in my car... 8) (Struan? the VDO gauges you sold me are going into my MKI! 8) )

Whaddya think of 'em then? :?:

I see what you mean :) looks sweet tho, cant wait to see it finished :)

Neither can I! :roll: :lol: :lol: Thanks... 8)

Not long now... I get my block back on the 30th which gives me a month to re-build it... It only took 8 solid hours of work (on my own!) to get it to this stripped stage, so I'm guessing that I can get it back together in the 2 weeks off I've got for Xmas... :? 8)

looking good matey... :D

so what you doing with the standard G60 calipers?

Probably sell 'em on... Or I may fit them to my MKI 16v... :wink: depends if they'll fit behind the rims I've got on it... :?

Watch out in the For Sale section when I get 'em off, probably start of January time... 8)

I got 'em from Bill at Badger5 just for the ease of it... Think it was about £465 inc VAT and postage... You just need to make sure that your wheels will fit over 'em first as they are huge! My 16" 7.5J Borbet Cs only just clear! we're talking a couple of mm's clearance! :shock: Any wheels with an inwards dish to the spokes almost certainly won't clear the calipers... :?

More toys! 8) Ok, fairly big plastic body bits this time, but kinda toys anyway... :roll: :lol:

This should be the end of the toys buying part of this build... apart from the odd nut and bolt and the intercooler from Darren (G-Man) I've now got all of the bits to put my baby back together! 8) YAY!!!!!! :D :D :D

** Mod Edit - deleted some off topic posts - ME! **