Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Henny's J-DUB G60

should be some machine when you get it all back together henny :wink:

That's kinda the hope! :wink: :lol: 8)

Your going to need alot of mesh to fill that bumper matey...

so when she planned to be back on the road??

The mesh came with it... :wink:

Plan is to get the engine rebuilt and in the car this fortnight over xmas that I'm off work... 8) I don't think I'll be able to get it running due to lack of intercooler (Hopefully it'll be on it's way soon!) but the plan is to have her finished (including paint) before the 22nd Feb so that I can take her to DubFreeze... 8)

This may slip slightly though... :roll: we'll see... :wink: :lol:

sounds like a BIG job, good luck :)

I love them brakes and bumper mate ;)

Thera

The mesh came with it... :wink:

Plan is to get the engine rebuilt and in the car this fortnight over xmas that I'm off work... 8) I don't think I'll be able to get it running due to lack of intercooler (Hopefully it'll be on it's way soon!) but the plan is to have her finished (including paint) before the 22nd Feb so that I can take her to DubFreeze... 8)

This may slip slightly though... :roll: we'll see... :wink: :lol:

8) mate, goodluck.... :wink:

Ok, so I'm back to work in about 6 hours :cry: I've totally failed to rebuild my engine while I've been off, mainly 'cos I forgot to buy the new stainless bolts, and the bolt shop's been shut over Xmas, :roll: :oops: and I can't sleep... So I modded my dash clocks to cheer me up... :wink: :roll: :lol:

What do you think? I think that they match my Autometer gauges nicely... 8)

It's amazing what you can do with a scanner, some silver paper, a decent printer, a sharp knife, some superglue and insomnia! :lol:

LCDs illuminate red, all of the clocks are lit with no filters, so white/yellow light... 8)

OK, It's been a while since I updated this, so here goes... 8)

J-DUB is now well on the way to being rebuilt... the engine is almost complete, I've just ordered some new metal water pipes for it to save any problems in the future, and I've taken a few more bits to get 'em powder coated before fitting... 8)

If you think that this has taken a LONG time to complete, you'd be right, but bear in mind that I've been doing this over weekends and a few evenings when I've got enough light to work on the car... The car is also outside, so the weather is a large factor on the work I can do... :|

I've no really good photos to show at the moment (got loads, but they're all a bit boring at the moment) so I thought I'd post up a list of what's been done while she's been off the road and what the final ,now confirmed, specifications and mods will be... Are we sitting comfortably? This may take a while!!! ;)

Exterior:

Lupo GTI front and rear wiper conversion

FK rear M3 style lights with silver indicator bulbs (Group Buy)

Clear side repeaters with silver bulbs

Brand new front fogs, indicators and headlamps (headlamps had already been fitted just before the bolt sheared!)

Headlamp wiring loom upgrade (H100VW)

New ABS plastic RS4 style front bumper (Venom)

New number plates (makes a hell of a difference!)

Alloy Bee sting (was fitted last year, but still looks good! ;) )

Corrado-Forum.net stickers (finally fitted 'em!)

Corrado "driving man" logo where J@88@ sport one used to be on rear window (soon to have daft slogan next to it! ;) )

Repainted rear bumper and front passenger wing (as well as new bumper and a load of stone chips sorted)

LED Hi-level center brake light mounted into rear spoiler (yes, it goes up and down with the spoiler too! ;) )

Refurbished 7.5x16 Borbet C alloys (6 of 'em!) (TopMarques in Stoke)

Passat rear door handles and mechanisms inc. black plastic lock mechanism covers

Running gear/chassis:

Still on Supersport coilovers, (Venom) but will be re-corner weighted once bedded in again... (Local garage - Votex)

Brembo 305x28 4 pot brake conversion (Badger5)

Rear calipers painted to match front Brembos

New engine mounts (VAG)

Rebuilt gearbox with VR6 1st,2nd and reverse gears and Quaife LSD (Stealth, and thanks to PhatVR6)

Interior/ICE:

Custom made center console housing 3 autometer pro-light gauges where the ashtray used to be (Gauges from VWSpeedshop.co.uk)

Nokia Bluetooth handsfree kit built into center console and Dash blank

Clarion TV head unit, 6disk autochanger, TV tuner, Infinity Basslink and rear facing camera using previously fitted JBL components and 6x4 speakers in standard locations

Custom made silver dial faces with needles painted orange to match Autometer gauges - No filters on main illumination, red filters on LCDs

Moonroof conversion

Cobra Radar detector hardwired to top of dash rather than having a trailing wire to the cigarette lighter (which no-longer exists!)

Power point in the boot for accessories

Spotless, uncut parcelshelf (cheers DM! :) )

Center sunvisor above rear view mirror

Security:

New locks for ignition, glovebox, boot, de-locked doors

Cat 1 alarm

Other security devices have been fitted as well ;)

Engine:

Balanced and lightened bottom end with 83mm pistons in a Rallye 1H block (original block was found to be damaged) giving a total displacement of 1940CC and 8.5:1 compression ratio using standard G60 rods on a different crank. (RacePower Via JMRacing)

Lightened flywheel (JMRacing/RacePower)

All stainless steel external nuts, bolts and washers

Toothed S/C pulley system giving equivalent to standard S/C pulley size (JMRacing)

Lots of powdercoated bits (satin black)

Lots of painted bits (satin silver)

Supercharger rebuild and port matched to new outlet (G-Werks)

Golf G60 intercooler and pipework (G-Werks)

Gas flowed/ported head, inlet manifold, throttle body, charger outlet, exhaust manifold. (JMRacing/RacePower)

New tappets

New gaskets (duh! :roll: )

New metal water pipes

Many new rubber water pipes (some had already recently been replaced!)

Mocal Oil cooler kit (JMRacing)

Brand new Bosch Dizzy

Milltek Hi-flow exhaust downpipe (JMRacing) mated to custom stainless, catless system. (JP Exhausts of Macclesfield)

All new sensors/senders

MKI Golf 1800 GTI (DX engine) bottom cambelt pulley bolt (the bugger's not gonna snap again! ;) :roll: )

As I bed her in, she'll be running on a standard FPR, injectors and chip, but, once bedded in, she'll be treated to a set of red-tops, a 3.5FPR and a custom rolling road setup chip probably based around an SNS no-lag chip... 8)

Phew... :roll: I've probably forgotten some things off this list, but that's about what the spec will be when back on the road in a couple of weeks time... 8)

Let the building work commence! 8)

I've got some holiday at the moment, and I'm making good use of it... ;)

Got my gearbox back from stealth yesterday and painted the final bits of the engine today as well as picking up my full new lock set and the final engine hoses from VAG... 8)

I should also get my re-furbished wheels back tomorrow too... 8)

So, this mornings efforts proves a couple of interesting things...

1) These Plastic Reiger RS bumpers are a really nice fit... (see pic)

2) It's sodding cold out there!

3) The Golf G60 intercooler fits PERFECTLY onto the original radiator mount panel with the radiator on it's original locating lugs, and there are lugs in EXACTLY the correct places for the intercooler to mount onto as it should... 8)

4) It's sodding cold out there!

5) The head bolts on a 1H block ARE different to the head bolts for a PG block...

6) It's sodding cold out there! :roll: ;)

Unfortunatly my local dealer has supplied me with PG head bolts and won't be able to get 1H bolts in until tuesday... so another deadline for getting the car running will go whizzing past... :(

I'll still fit the engine and all of the rest of the stuff while I've got the time off work, I'll just have to fit the head while the engine's in the car :D

...oh, and my alloys won't be ready until next saturday either due to the sandblaster breaking at the refurbishers... :roll: :evil:

So, the plan is to get the engine running IN the car, with the car on wheels again next Sunday... 8)

When do you plan to be back on the road. I couldnt wait as long as you have :)

*mod edit - de-capped your post, Please don't SHOUT posts... - Henny*

Plan was to have the car running on Monday so that I could drop it in for the paint work next weekend and have it back in 2weeks and back on the road... This has been put back slightly by the head bolts that I was supplied being the wrong ones.. :roll: However, the next week or so should see her being a fully running and complete car again, all-be-it with some wrong coloured/scratched body panels... ;) 8)

I didn't intend for this to take this long, but I also didn't quite plan on doing as much as I have to her... :roll: :oops: I kinda got a bit bored and a bit carried away so it's evolved into this final spec from just being a straight rebuild... 8)

cant wait to see the finished motor, it looked pretty good before any of the work started, and from the sounds of things you've kept it subtle but effective, the way it should be! i dunno about anyone else, but i love these threads where we can watch peoples projects evolve, thanks for sharing henny mate!

cant wait to see the finished motor, it looked pretty good before any of the work started, and from the sounds of things you've kept it subtle but effective, the way it should be! i dunno about anyone else, but i love these threads where we can watch peoples projects evolve, thanks for sharing henny mate!

Yeah, that was the aim... subtle but yet effective, and well documented too... ;) 8)

I'm in two minds now as to what to do with the front bumper... I've discovered that I could use an original front bumper with the intercooler I've got, so I don't know whether to use the RS4 style one I bought or just use an original one... :?

mmm, decisions decisions... :roll: :oops: :lol:

Todays little bit of work involved building the engine to completion... or as close as you can get without head bolts! ;)

I would have fitted it to the car today, but it's been hammering it down with rain on and off, so I've not had chance to do a couple of the things I need to do in the engine bay first... ;)

Coming together now Henny! :thumbleft:

How long till she's finished?

Whats the expected power?

Coming together now Henny! :thumbleft:

How long till she's finished?

Whats the expected power?

Cheers! ;)

Engine should be finished tonight in her "bedding in phase" state... and will be installed either one night this week if the weather's good, or on Sunday if I don't get chance this week... I'll then sort some of the small details I wanna do to tart the engine up a little bit more... 8)

Expected power is between 220 and 250 bhp once the chip is in and rolling roaded with the new FPR and redtops... The torque however, should be lots more interesting... ;)

As Gazza says:

torques the name of the game

8)

G60s tend to be limited in the hp department as they dont rev too high especially with a small pulley. as hp is a calculation from revs and torque it doesnt show too favourably. the importance of torque coes out when you go up against a car of similar hp maybe a few more that a G60 but the torque curve aint a patch on the G. its about whats under the curve.

take on a 200hp honda with a 170hp G60 and see whats what

G60s tend to be limited in the hp department as they dont rev too high especially with a small pulley. as hp is a calculation from revs and torque it doesnt show too favourably. the importance of torque coes out when you go up against a car of similar hp maybe a few more that a G60 but the torque curve aint a patch on the G. its about whats under the curve.

take on a 200hp honda with a 170hp G60 and see whats what

It also helps that I'm gonna be running a standard sized pulley, only it's toothed... ;)

That should help the car rev to the same extent as a standard G60 engine with the capacity increase giving the extra grunt, and the lightening/balancing allowing for faster spin up/down times, oh, and that enormous intercooler keeping the charge nice and dense too... ;)

There's been a lot of thought gone into this conversion, not just by me, but by many of the people who have helped along the way, and quite a few of my friends too... 8)

yep if you can provide enough airflow with a standard pulley thats great. by that do you mean a 68mm toothed?

with the 65mm i tend not to go over 6000 and most of the time find im changing at around 5500. it doesn't make power over that so no point. my internals are standard though so i can expect much more.

fetch it to the next meet if you get it built in time. lets have a butchers

This has been a lovely read from start to finish.

I have no clue how much money this has cost henny,but you will have a lovely car.

its been an education to read

Roy :!: