Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Henny's J-DUB G60

I quite like the front bumper but the cold air intake looks slightly naff. Just my opinion. Apart from that the car looks good!

TV is a Clarion unit that IS the head unit and is powered out from the standard location and then flips back to reveal the screen... 8)

The cold air intake will be hidden behind the mesh if I keep the bumper on, if not it will be hidden behind the normal bumper 'cos I agree it looks a LOT naff, but it works well! ;)

I'm not sure if I like the bumper or not... It looks very agressive, but I think it sits too low for my liking and I'm forever gonna be worried about catching it on things once it's painted... :roll:

Dunno... I may get a mad half hour on me this week and re-fit the normal bumper I've got for it... We'll see... ;)

I dont like the bumper without the mesh or without any side skirts.....makes the front of the car look too heavy!!! That and the fact its not actually the same colour.....IMO its got to go.

nice car other wise... those brembos look huge!

The bumper WILL be painted along with a load of other bits that need doing and will have mesh in it, but I need to get it on the road and running properly rather than looking good at the moment, hence the black bumper and lack of mesh... ;) I'm now toying with the idea of some side skirts, but I'm not too sure about that... I may just go back to the original bumper as I now have a spare, so I'll get both painted along with my new slam panel... That'll get rid of the bent and rusting one that's on the car at the moment, and my Flash Red rear spoiler with a brake light built into it (which I may fit just for inters) will also need a bit of paint to make it match the rest of the car! ;) :lol:

Well, here's a quick update...

I spent yesterday at a Rolling road in Runcorn with Wayne Schofield of Chipwizards...

My face now hurts from grinning like a loon after driving the car home and on the way to work today... :D :D :D

To say that this has made a difference would be the understatement of the year, it's totally transformed the car. :mrgreen:

I can now confirm that the gearbox mods I've had done DO allow for a touch over 60mph in second and that the second -> third change under heavy acceleration hits 3rd gear slap bang in the middle of the power range and gives a lovely kick! Oh, and I DO have to take the front bumper off to get it onto the rollers... :roll: :lol:

To be honest, it's not so much of a kick, as what the effect of shoving a sidewinder missile up your backside and pressing the fire button would be! :lol: To say I'm happy wouldn't even give you a tenth of an idea of how I feel at the moment... :D 8)

Unfortunatly, I have no BHP or Torque figures as the computer system for the rolling road that the car was mapped on is damaged and so isn't calibrated and can't be linked into the RPM of the car which stops you getting real numbers out of it... :( However, the torque and BHP curves on the screen (from the wheels) looked amazing! the torque curve is pretty much flat from just over idle all the way to redline and beyond, which scared me when he took it OFF the revcounter! :shock:

Bring on some rolling road, track and strip sessions, and lets see what this baby can do... :) 8)

Nice to see it coming along. I like it with the RS bumper alone. If you go for the side skirts, you'll need 17's and it'll all start getting a little bling. :)

Ah, flat torque curves, the sign of forced induction... :)

Anyway, love the inverse LCDs on the dash, Henny. Nice job.

Right then Henny!

I take it you are coming down to the CCGB rolling road day on the 27th June or if not, the forum one on the 25th July!! I want to see what J DUB is made of! :)

Jim, I think you'll find my name was one of the first on the list for the CF rolling road session! ;) :D I've just told work today that they can shove the outside broadcast they want me to do that day as far up their..... (you get the idea! ;) )

I'm as interested to see what she's putting out in comparison to other cars as some of the rest of you.... I have no figures at the moment due to the fault on the rollers in Runcorn, but I know that she's fuelling correcly, and is timed up spot on, so I don't really care about the numbers, I just know that she feels sodding quick! :D 8) We shall see at Stealth what the numbers say... Although there's a couple of events that I'm aiming to be doing before then which may give indications to if she's as quick as she feels or not... ;) :D

dr_mat, yup, ain't forced induction ace... ;) :D and cheers for the nice comment... 8) I just need to rig up the lights behind the LCDs to come on with the ignition so that I can see them in direct sunlight and I'll be really happy with it... :)

Rodders, the run back from Runcorn and then to and from work today have made it ALL worth it.... from now on is just a bonus to me... the fact that I'm STILL grinning like a loon will probably let you know how much I am enjoying the car now.... :mrgreen: Just need to avoid speed cameras and I'll stay happy! ;) :lol:

Joe_M, the Quaife seems to be really good so far... I'm still edging my way up to properly hammering it as I don't want to loose it and wrap it around a lamppost! ;) :? but it does feel VERY positive so far, and taking off in a hurry from standstill ;) is definately improved by the diff limiting the wheelspin... :D The second gear mod is great too, I overtook a lorry on the way home from the rollers in second and hit 60 before I knew what the hell was going on and had to change gear... before it would have been half way past the lorry at around 45 when I had to hit the next gear! :D

Phat, Thanks mate, your help with the box is most appreciated and has made a massive difference to the car... :D 8)

Storm, yeah, I know what you mean about the bumper... some days I really like it, others I'm not so sure... I think I'm gonna stick an original bumper back on this weekend and see if it makes much difference in running temps and the like and if I prefer it or not... We'll see, but I do agree with the side skirts comments.... that's not what I want my car to look like, it's not my style... :)

OK, so, I've managed to blow the head gasket... :oops: :roll:

Having got the head off yesterday it looks like it may have been slightly blowing since it was first fitted and it was finally tipped over into fully blowing by me finally replacing the dodgy leaky (new! :roll: ) waterpump that I fitted when building the engine... :mad:

Hey ho, these things happen (normally to me! :roll:) The gasket had been kicking around in my garage for 6 months or so before fitting and the new one looks much better even though it is another identical genuine VAG one... :roll:

So, the head's off now, has been checked for trueness and isn't warped... 8) Unfortunately I've hurt my back and have taken today (and probably tomorrow too) off work to try and let it heal a little (pulled a muscle, nothing serious, just painful and not a good idea to drive with! :?)

After an MSN conversation with Alex (Aposegil), I had some ideas for stuff to do while the head's off, so here's the results... (total cost £96 from Demon tweeks for the stuff needed...)

1) JMR hi-flow downpipe has been heat tape wrapped and sprayed with hi-temp silicone spray - should knock the engine bay temps down by upto 50% 8)

2) Underside of the inlet manifold has been treated with (lots of! ;) ) "Cool tape" which is a heat reflective tape and should help keep it cool where it's close to the exhast manifold.

3) The rubber boot around the steering rack universal joints has also been Cool tape'd to make sure it stays intact

4) A slight spot of damage to one of the gearchange cables has been repaired with cool tape... 8)

The exhaust downpipe one should be, as it's almost the same part. I'd guess that cool taping the inlet manifold as it goes over the top of the head would help slightly too, but the VR6 doesn't suffer as badly from inlet heating 'cos it's a cross flow engine where as the 4 cylinder cars have the inlet manifold about 3mm above the exhaust manifold, so the heat transfer is massive... :?

I think I'm also going to wrap my cat-bypass pipe as I'm worried about the heat I can feel on the gear gator which has to be coming from that pipe... It can't be good for the linkage bushes to be subjected to that heat all the time... :|

UPDATE:

To anyone who is thinking about fitting together a Rallye Block and a G60 head (1H block with a head off a PG engine)

You WILL have to get it machined slightly... where the head bolt washers sit isn't big enough on the PG head as standard which means that as you torque up the head bolts, you'll chip off slight amounts of the aluminium around the seats which will get in under the washer... over time, the tension in the bolts will squash this swarf and let the tension off on the head bolts which will result in the head gasket blowing...

This has been positively diagnosed as the cause of my coolant over-pressuring problems, and the reason that the headgasket has gone by a pro mechanic who is my best mate and has just confirmed it with me... :o :|

Still, at least I know that with a little bit of machining I can get it spot on agian and then put her back together safe in the knowledge that it's right.... ;) :lol: 8)

Glad to see you have sorted it. If Rallye blocks were only used on Rallye's. Then surely they have got to be impossible to find? Can you get some pics up?

erm, it LOOKS identical from the outside of the engine... photos wouldn't really show you much... :?

Have a look through the rest of this thread, as there's pictures of the build up in here and a good one of the block on the engine stand as I'd just mounted it... 8)

Rallye blocks are actually getting quite easy to get hold of as a lot of Rallyes are getting to the point of needing a rebuild and lots of the owners are just dropping in 20VT engines instead... :roll:

I was thinking of the maching required not the block! :)

D'Oh! Oh, OK, I'll get some before and after shots when I get it done tomorrow... 8)

Cheers. The reason is the more I get into the guts of my storm the more I know I want a lightweight 16VG60. The Rallye Block would be the way to go.

:oops: I forgot to take those pics for you Storm, I just ploughed on in and put her back together... :? Sorry... Anyway, the machining is pretty simple to be honest, it just looks a bit scarey! ;) :lol:

Anyway, J-Dub's now back in one piece (properly this time! :roll: :oops: ) so I went to Santa Pod this weekend to GTI Festival and I took a couple of vids (which are in the general forum) but here's a link to me running J-DUB down the strip and getting sod all traction in 1st and 2nd but still pulling in a 15.771 on only my second ever run... RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE AS

Also a vid of my car being mapped (caution! nearly 10meg! :? ) RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE AS

And a 500K vid of my car with the fuelling completely wrong popping and banging in all directions... :crazyeyes: RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE AS

Here's a couple of pics from Sunday... 8)