Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Henny's J-DUB G60

I've just been educated tonight...

Golf Rallye's have a SERIOUS set of head bolts! :shock: I think I can see now why the Corrado bolts didn't fit into the Rallye block! ;) :lol:

The engine is now bolted together and is getting a little detailing before I sling it into the car this sunday... 8)

Cheers for the nice comments chubbybrown. I have no idea how much this has all cost me yet either... If I add it up now, I'll get scared and never finish her so I'll work it all out after I'm driving her again! ;) I do know that well over 5K has gone into what will be under the bonnet so far... :?

have you hade you head n block modded to take them there bolts mate?

Nah, the heads are all the same, but I'm running a Rallye block (1H) as my original PG block was knackered beyond repair... :( That's why I got supplied the wrong bolts as the guy didn't realise that the 1H block used different head bolts... :roll: :lol:

I'll tell you this though, I was knackered after putting 'em in and torqueing 'em up then having to turn 'em the extra 180 degrees... :? Them's strong bolts! :wink:

Nice read, and sounds like it's gonig to be one sweet car - well done! Bet you can't wait to finish it and actually drive it!! :mrgreen: :twisted:

I'll start looking out for you Henny!! Does it mean the Pink driver is going?? Shame. I bet your pretty unhappy! :wink:

I'll start looking out for you Henny!! Does it mean the Pink driver is going?? Shame. I bet your pretty unhappy! :wink:

Yeah, I think the driver is about to go whether I want it to or not! ;) when the clutch's biting point is less than 5 mm from the top of the travel, you know that there's not a lot of life left in it! ;)

It's actually been a superb little car, much better than my Astra ever was... 8)

Can't wait for J-DUB to be back though... 8)

Right then... After getting called into work this weekend just gone, the engine didn't get fitted... :mad:

So, I've used my nice insomniac tendancies to get busy and finish the engine over the last couple of nights so it's now just a case of lifting it onto the mounts and putting the bolts in... 8) Unfortunately I need some daylight to do this, :roll: so it'll be fitted into the bay on Saturday morning... 8)

Oh, and I got my wheels back from being re-furb'd... All 6 of 'em! :roll: :lol:

See what you think so far... 8)

That is one clean looking engine. I dread to think how many hours have gone into this rebuild. Looks like you have got everything sorted, right down to thew valve caps!! 8)

That is one clean looking engine. I dread to think how many hours have gone into this rebuild. Looks like you have got everything sorted, right down to thew valve caps!! 8)

Locking valve caps at that! ;) Well spotted... 8)

I've lost count of the amount of time I've spent on that engine/gearbox... Lots should just about cover it.... ;) :lol: 8)

Nice work Henny!!! Liking the polished VW badge :wink: Was thinking of doing the same thing to my engine bay to tidy it up a bit.

Well, It fits... 8)

It's looking like I won't be able to get her running this weekend though, I've just discovered that the pipes for the Mocal oil cooler are WAY too short :? :roll: I think I've got a kit to mount the cooler in front of the charger, but I can't do that due to the intercooler being in the way... :roll: I'll pick some up this week, and get her running one night now that everything else is connected up... 8)

Tomorrows jobs are to get everything tightened into place, fit the new brakes (Brembos up front, MKIV rears), strip the seats and door cards out ready for the leather next weekend and put the head lining back in again, and re-loom the wiring up nicely... 8)

Then, when I get the new oil pipes, it'll just be a case of tightening them in, putting the oil in (water's already in, as is the P/S fluid!) and seeing if she runs... 8)

I'm a happy bunny today... it's sooooo nice to see it all finally coming together and looking like a car again, rather than a large pile of bits! :D

After alll the hard work are you really sure you want to go to all the trouble of adding leather as well, gonna be soooo much trouble mate, come on, I'll give you £551 for it , go on, you know you want to! :lol: :roll:

After alll the hard work are you really sure you want to go to all the trouble of adding leather as well, gonna be soooo much trouble mate, come on, I'll give you £551 for it , go on, you know you want to! :lol: :roll:

Monitor? meet Coke... Coke? meet Monitor... :lol:

I think I'll keep it thanks... ;) Although I do now have either a black or a grey cloth interior for sale if you're interested... ;) :p

Well done Henny!!

You can see a lot of hard works gone in there, let alone the money!

What paint have you used and how much sanding was required to get such a clean looking finish? Gearbox looks brand new!!

Dude, am jealous. That looks awesome. I think I'm more jealous of the fact you have the facilities to actually do the work yourself. I miss my Dad's copius Snap-On tool chests and workshop gubbins. Congrats mate, good effort! :D

Well done Henny!!

You can see a lot of hard works gone in there, let alone the money!

What paint have you used and how much sanding was required to get such a clean looking finish? Gearbox looks brand new!!

I was thinking about how much I've worked on this since it broke 7 months ago and my brain started to hurt,so I gave up.... :? The money I don't even want to think about! :oops:

The paint is just bog standard, paint on silver engine laquer from my local (next door but about 10! ;) ) car parts place... the only thing that needed doing to the bits I painted was to get it cleaned in a solvent bath by my mate who's a mechanic... 8) The gearbox was cleaned by Stealth as they rebuilt it, and I slapped the laquer on when I got it home... I've not done the gearbox linkage or the throttle mechanisms as I didn't want to make them stiff or cause any problems, so they still look a bit naff...

Nearly all of the black bits were sand blasted and powder coated by a local firm... the Aqua blue rocker cover was already that colour when I got the car, I just rubbed it down with some 800s and then 1000s paper and re-sprayed it with 3 coats of paint and 3 of laquer... it's come out rather well, although there are quite a few marks in it where there have been some major dents/chips in the past... I may look at getting a rocker cover done professionally at some point 'cos I can't spray to save my live! :oops:

As for tools and the like, the only tools I have I've bought from shows and the like over the last 12 years of so of being into VWs... I really need to treat myself to some decent tools now, some of the ones I have are getting well past their use by dates! :oops:

It's the space I have that makes the difference.... I'm so glad that my mate pointed out my house when it was for sale and mentioned it had a garage at the back.... if he hadn't I'd never have gone for it and probably wouldn't have had the space to do the work I've done.... 8)

Thanks for all the nice comments... 8)

You should do this as a sideline job Henny! Bit of competition for the g-werks boys ;) :D

You should do this as a sideline job Henny! Bit of competition for the g-werks boys ;) :D

Nah, I enjoy it every now and then, but I couldn't do it professionally again... my last hobby turned into my full time job, which kinda killed the enjoyment a bit... I don't want that to happen again! ;) Although I suppose this was a job that's turned into a hobby, so it's kinda balanced itself out! :D

Right, a few more photos... 8)

Todays work was pretty fruitful... The engine still doesn't run, but that's 'cos I've got a couple of bits I need to get before I'm prepared to try it...

I re-loomed the wiring today with Self Amalgamating tape, and it looks like it just left the factory again... 8) Major pain in the ass to do, very fiddly, but well worth it... :)

Started to work on the brakes and a few other bits and bobs that needed doing... 8)

Oh, and before anyone makes any comments, I've got some nice shiney wheel bolts and new rear disks on order! :p :lol: