Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Magnex exhaust knocking on rear beam.....:(

I had a Magnex exhaust fitted to my C with a supersprint decat pipe from Demon Tweeks, after driving a round for a week or two the exhaust has started to catch on the top rear beam every so often, under different loads and speeds. When I went back to Demon Tweeks to have the tracking and Camber done I mentioned to them that it was catching and they said that I needed to either replace the bump stops or fit helper springs to stop it catching.

Now what I wan to know is are they talking a load of rubbish and the exhaust just wasn't fitted properly, or what? My C is lowered on H&R's/Koni's and if for example it was on coil-overs and even lower surely the problem would be worse, and therefore the exhaust wasn't fitted properly. :(

Do I go back to them and say "fit the bloody thing properly!" or is it a common problem with no solution but to lift the back up a bit? :?

I have always found new exhaust rubbers work wonders. Shagged bumpstops don't help. The Jetex on my 1800 16V Corrado knocked big time. Eventually I had a mate warmit up with his acetylene and we flattened the pipe over the axle. Job done. Not what you want on a new system but.............

Gavin

They replaced all the exhaust rubbers when the fitted the zorst.......like you say, don't really want to flatten a new exhaust. :(

Lifting the car a bit definately help as would stiffening your rear shocks.. Maybe the exhaust can be pushed further on, that is another reason they touch, the bend being in the wrong place.

Gavin

when i had my mr2 i bought a stainless janspeed for it after the mild steel janspeed fell apart.

while demon tweeks where fitting the stainless one the rear valence was catching on it so they bent it out of the way with a tyre lever and cracked the paint. after driving it for a week the knocking and banging was getting on my nerves so i took it back and they had a look and told me that my engine mounts had gone, which was odd as i had changed them the day before i had the exhaust fitted after a lot of complaining and threats of legal action and letters to janspeed they finally changed it for another one which fitted perfectly as it turned out the first one was a poorly jigged exhaust. :mad:

most of the lads in the fitting bay are ok but there are a couple who are bodge artists especially the one who looks like a chimp (if you have seen him you will know who i mean) :wink:

it might be worth getting polyurethane hangers if you have not allready :idea:

if you are running standard ride height there is no reason it should hit

A piece of top hose cut open and tip tied to the axle will stop the noise! :wink:

Gash fcuker :mrgreen:

I think Ii'll do that on my MK3, the Supersprint is doing my head in. Luckily the wife drives it most of the time.

I have nice custom stainless on the syncro after only 7 days at Blueflame. It does fit nice though.

Gavin

most of the lads in the fitting bay are ok but there are a couple who are bodge artists especially the one who looks like a chimp (if you have seen him you will know who i mean) :wink:

Well that's just great! The bloke who fitted my exhaust was the chimp! :( :(

I'll take it back then, he also fitted the decat pipe in such a way that the lambda prope fouls on the heat sheilding, just waiting for the wires to snap :( :(

next time you go in there take a banana in for him he may do a better job, it must be hard to grip a spanner without an opposible thumb :lol:

i have seen that guy jigsaw chunks out of peoples rear valance and not even paint the cut section

ask to speak to the guy in charge of the garage, i think its the chubby fella who usually wears shorts all the time :wink:

unless its a new or very expensive car they tend to treat them a bit rough, they told me it didnt matter that they had cracked the paint on the mr2 as it was an old car :mad:

they did seem to treat the rado with a bit more repect when it went in for a track and balance they didnt even resort to a scousers screwdriver (hammer)

Make sure the link pipe is trimmed sufficiently.

The peak of rear pipe curve should be right above the centre of the axle. If your clearance is just the gap between the upsweep or downsweep of the bend, that's why it's knocking. The highest point of the curve should be tucked right up to the floor when on the ramp and about 1.5" off the axle when on the floor.

K

I had a magnex (cat back) fitted today, and had to return twice to get the thing to fit properly!

Firstly it banged big time over bumps. Turned out the system had moved slightly, and it was catching on the rear beam. Fitter just slackened off the joints and moved it all up a bit.

Then I returned because it was banging on the rear trim cut-out. Not as loud as before, but still bloody annoying (and it looked awful). This was 'fixed' by zip-tying the exhaust rubbers to change how it hung.

I'm still a bit disappinted actually - what with the reputation magnex have for a so-say perfect fit. The pipe still doesn't sit in the middle of the cut-out like my (rusty and blowing) OE one used to!

Some aftermarket systems are a bit hit and miss and stainless also grows and gets quite boomy when hot.

I went through two Milltek systems and just wasn't happy with the fit, finish or excessive booming. I was going to go for a Magnex afterwards but felt I'd be jumping out of the pan into the fire, so went for a brand new VAG system instead (£260 all in) and it absolutely rocks. Perfect fit and finish, near silent and no different power wise to a Magnex or Milltek. VW can and do get some things right :wink:

In hindsight I wish I'd taken up Stealth's offer of a SuperSprint system because I've yet to try an aftermarket system that matches their quality, low noise levels and spot-on fit.

K

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I found that with my magnex, the metal support which is attached to the exhaust rubber on the rear silencer knocked against the jacking point (think that's what it is). On mine there is a half- round piece of rubber attached to soften the impact.

Going to take it back to them, after I've had a good look at the position of the bend over the rear axle. If it's not directly ove the beam, I'm going to tell them to fit it properly! Shouldn't be like it is, no matter how low the car is.

Yep, take it back and keep doing so until your happy! - These systems are meant to be custom fit for the vehicle so should fit as well as OEM, at the end of the day its not rocket science!

I watched Milltek spend 6 hours trying to refit one of there own systems to Kev's car down at their factory, they finally got a good fit with no knocking when they moved the bar on the backbox 2 inches like we told them when we arrived... complete muppets!

mrbeige, i'm running almost exactly the same set up except the de cat and i've had no probs, maybe the decat pipe is too long pushing the whole system back nearer the axle ? check the hangers are straight

i always find its best to phone before you go

GIXXERUK, I'll call them and see what they say. They fitted a small 'adapter' pipe, which was cut to size, so I can't see why it should be catching on the rear beam at all. :(