Sign in to follow this  
DanA

Who's been upsetting the Type R people ?

The Golf is every bit as quick as the financed-up-to-the-hilt Civic? Shame....

Yep, many of the boys on the vr6golf forum find the same.

They're a nice enough car but personally I fail to see what all the fuss is about.

Neither can I. They're ugly, boxy and tinny inside, noisy and not that quick....and I've driven one so I'm not an armchair critic. The only reason they are moderately fast is because of the very short gearing and silly rev range and low mass.

The blue smoke I saw coming out of countless Type Rs at the pod is also indicating the VTEC engines aren't particularly long lasting.

3 things they do have which I like are:-

Brilliant gear shift

Incredibley rigid body shell

Honda Reliability

Does that Honda reliability include smokey VTEC engines? I can't say I've seen any smokey examples personally but that may well be more down to a handfull of mechanically backward owners and their lack of regard for proper servicing - an important point on engines with a rev-range like the Type-R I think you'll agree.

I know for a fact that the owner of the '03-reg Type-R I mentioned is struggling to keep up payments for the car itself. It's had bald front tyres for the last two months so I very much doubt that the car will see a proper service for a long long time. He also has no idea which end of a screwdriver to hold. Muppet.

why would someone want to buy a Honda?

Jap crap as far as im concerned.

Not even 4 wheel drive with a big turbo or 2, like any of the decent jap cars!!!

My nan has a civic for gods sake!!

Oh the old 225 TT thread ay, that was a laugh. I have driven the CTR for over 400 miles and I have to say I really liked it, may well even buy it if I was after a modern hot hatch, it's great VFM even better than the 182 and holds it's value well. :wink:

i just read the beginning of this topic and saw someone talking about being a fan of a saxo.

saxos are crap-fact

when i see a crappy saxo (all of them) driving around, it is highly tempting to drive into it because i know that it wouldnt make a mark on my rado!! i would rather push my dub than drive a saxo!!!!

Does that Honda reliability include smokey VTEC engines?

LOL, no. I meant reliability from the point of view that Hondas are reliable, as in always start, don't break down or fall to pieces. Smokey engines is just how they are as they drink the stuff. The examples at the pod had the tell tale brown staining on the rear bumper. They lead a hard life those engines.

Sorry but i'll defend the Saxo. They don't deserve to be compared to a Corrado as they are totally different cars - one cost £21,000 new and the other costs half that. Its like

But for a performance hot hatch (obviously in VTS and to a certain extent VTR guise) they are great cars.. and the VTS is bloody quick no doubting that. Just a shame they have such a bad image - and pretty ropey build quality! Value for money is hard to beat though, really.

I second Jim, my ex-wife had two VTR's and they were great little cars - squeaked and rattled no more than a Corrado, stupidly economical and great fun on country roads - I'd have one as a second car - just because they are popular with the kids doesn't make them a bad car

Yeah Rob B. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :lol:

On a slightly more mature note Rob B, I presume that the basis for your dislike is that you have either driven or owned a Saxo, thus addding a degree of weight and justification to your opinion. If none of the above is true keep your opinions to yourself. You're starting to sound like some of the 17 year olds on the Saxo forum who sport LED washer jets and Folia Tec exhaust shields!

Does that Honda reliability include smokey VTEC engines?

LOL, no. I meant reliability from the point of view that Hondas are reliable, as in always start, don't break down or fall to pieces. Smokey engines is just how they are as they drink the stuff. The examples at the pod had the tell tale brown staining on the rear bumper. They lead a hard life those engines.

I 've seen at least 2 integra type-r's locally which produced big plumes of blue smoke on acceleration. A worrying sight for any car owner.

None of us personally designed and made our cars, so no point getting upset by rude comments directed at Corrados.

Some people are just way too blinkered and biased to see beyond their own bonnets and love sticking wasps in the hornet's nest.

The "Audi TT 225" thread in General ended up on the TT forum cause some TT owning knob on here copied it over to start a flame war, the idiot.

Only he didn't get what he bargained for - the majority of the people on there showed a bit of respect and liking for the Corrado :lol:

My saying corrado... posh golf... poor mans TT :lol:

My mates got an old Civic VTEC. I said to him "I bet that's pretty flat under 4500rpm?"

his reply was along the lines of

"pretty flat under 6500rpm actually, I have to rev it to 9000rpm or it drops out of the power band when I change up a gear"

WTF?!?!? how can you drive a car with power delivery like that......

I' rather have a car that actually IS fast, rather than one that just feels it....

saxos should be stripped out alright.

stripped out of the country and sent back to france :-P

In fairness, they do a pretty good job of stripping themselves out. "Unique French Weightloss Scheme" I think it's called :lol:

The CTR will give a C a run for it's money round a track no probs and may even beat it, if you'r willing to drive it hard it is very rewarding, of course I would prefer a Cupra R 225 but the CTR is very good, the revs seem to climb much quicker than in the VR, must be a lighter flywheel or something.I read some of the stuff on that forum tho and I think they are kidding themselves even thinking that a CTR will lose a S3 225 :lol:

To be honest I've always liked the Integra Type-R and would love to be in a position where I could have a Corrado VR6 and an Integra as a second car.......plus an '04 Yamaha R1 for the days you actually want to make some real progress on the roads. The fact is I'm too tight to get my wallet out and part with the money for any of them.....it's the student in me.

The Seat Leon Cupra-R is a fantastic car - and probably the closest VAG car to a Civic Type-R at the moment. Although probably not as track-biased as the Civic it's still a far superior car on the road due to the power delivery and massively spec'ed in comparison. I think comparing a Civic to an S3 is a little unfair.

There will always be cars faster than the Corrado. The VR's and G60's are quick, but there will still be stupidly tuned things that are always quicker.

The thing is tho, you'll look much cooler doing it 8)

Also, I dunno about you, but have you noticed the average age of a Honda driver when it doesn't have an 'R' badge on the back? I think it's somewhere around 80 :lol:

the draw with the honda ctr's is the cheap price tag

cost wise they are only a few steps up from a VTR

a lad who i worked with had not 1, not 2, but 3 saxo's.

he bought a VTR from a main dealer, and, as it had done 15000 miles, everything went wrong.

the drivers seat broke, the power steering broke, the front susp top mounts collapsed.

so, he went and bought a BRAND NEW ONE :(

after a few months it had to be returned to main dealer, for THE FLOOR TO BE WELDED as it had developed a big crack.

absolutely disgusted with this. what does he do? he bought a VTS from the same dealer :roll:

now the VTS is better, its what the VTR should be. still got the same "wipe clean" seats, and rattly bodykit, and citroen under 10K build quality though.

all of these cars were bought on finance.

ffs if you want a lightweight french rattler, find a Pug 1.9 205. or the 306 GTI 6.

TheRuler: It sounds like your mate with the VTR might have modified it? I might be wrong but when you lower late VTR's at the front more than 40mm the track rod rubs on the PAS pipe causing it to (eventually) rub through and spill fluid everywhere. Also, when you lower them stupid amounts like 60mm it puts massive strain on the suspension components. When you go over a massive bump or pothole when you're lowered, the suspension blows through all of its travel and bottoms out violently which knackers the top mounts. This can in extreme circumstances cut the ignition because the car thinks it's crashed! Like any car, if you faff about with it too much it ruins it.

The only niggle I had with my VTR in the year or so I owned it was occasionally erratic idling almost getting to the point of cutting out when sitting at lights, but usually a quick dab on the throttle or restart of the car cleared it. Apparently its a common problem with VTR's though so I didnt look too much into it.

That's odd, wasn't a common problem on the forum. When it did happen I think the thing to do was to disconnect the battery for a night or so and then reconnect it. This was usually sufficient to reset the ECU and cure it. Either that of the 285 degree cam you had :devil:!

I wish ;)

It was bog standard apart from a Pioneer MP3 head unit and a Clifford Concept 300 alarm :)

his vtr was completely standard. he was too pussy to lower it.

and his favourite film was "dirty dancing" - for real - he even knew all the dance moves

he also would play the "grease" soundtrack at high volume in that saxo.

he referred to the saxo VTR as a "sports car"

he and the saxo were well suited

I had a Concept 300 installed by GAP and it was nowt but trouble! More due to their fitting than anything else though :mad:

Just jumping on this thread a bit late, but here goes....

As far as the Type R Civic goes, yes they are quick, and although i've never had a good run with one, i expect they'd give my VR a good run for its money. But, they look like a mini MPV. I prefer a sleek looking coupe. And, the japanese haven't quite got it when it comes to refinement. A mate here at work has a 3 month old Type R, and it has so much engine noise!! My VR is nearly 10 years old, and i get no rattles or creaks, and minimal engine noise (except when the Ramair opens its mouth, ROAR!! :D ).

Saxo's are just saxos. You can't compare the C and Saxo IMO. They're completely different! Plus, let's face it, who on this forum bought their C because for speed? I bought mine because it has the best all round package.....

As for chavs owning Corrados.. Yes, unfortunately its true, but i doubt any of them are clever enough to operate a PC, so aren't on this forum :mrgreen:

Steve

I like Corrado's more for the way they look to be honest.. the fact that its quick is just a handy coincidence :)