Sign in to follow this  
kangaroo

Bizarre uneven ride-height on wheels

I've noticed that the ride-height is slightly difference on each wheel! It started when I looked at my C headon and realised the front leant down on the drivers-side a bit, so I checked each wheel against its opposite to make sure i wasn't imagining things...

I'm not! The front-drivers and rear-passenger are about 8-10mm lower than their opposite wheels. Something's not right.. What could have caused this? Its not something like a twisted chassis? Can that happen?

Its on Koni coilovers, originally bought by the previous owner and fitted at TSR about 2 years ago. Could these have got out of adjustment or something? And if so, why unevenly? The mounts look ok, well, even on each side at least.

Any ideas appreciated! Thanks.

The front should be level but I've seen a lot of Corrados with the offside rear being lower than it's opposite, including mine. Mine is only about 5mm lower though but the rest are all dead on. The tank is on that side of the car though, could be weight related?

dr_mat, the ground in the carpark here is perfectly flat, i can assure you, and its something i noticed in the driveway at home first. Its definitely the car, the difference looks too much to be a tiny imperfection in ground level.

Tyres are all fine, they're evenly worn and pressured. The rear is actually lower on the nearside, so its not the fuel tank. So that leaves spring/shocks, or a chassis problem.

Can I adjust the suspension to compensate? Or would that unadvisable?

Possiblities :-

1. your coilovers are adjusted to different heights

2. your coilovers are badly worn

3. your top mountings are badly worn

Are you certain the floor's flat? You telling me you can see ~8mm difference in height over 2 meters away? That's 0.5% gradient..

Try parking 90 degrees from the way you do now (yes you'll look like a plum, but you'll prove me wrong, which is a far better feeling). ;)

Possiblities :-

1. your coilovers are adjusted to different heights

2. your coilovers are badly worn

3. your top mountings are badly worn

Aha...if you've got coillies, then that'd be it 8)

To get an 8mm drop from a worn top mount, the bearing would need to be worn down to metal dust and the rubber completely mounting shagged!

Can you easily insert a digit between the TM's top plate and rubber bush? You shouldn't be able to, so if you can, the TMs are knackered.