Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

How Much Does a VR6 Weigh??

just wondering cos i am trying to clear this up on another forum in amongst other things!

cant get onto the CCGB site at tho mo :cry:

help would be appreciated :wink:

1210 kg, according to the manual.

You might find it on the search on this forum, it's been discussed before.

have also seen different figures aroud but it's not as heavy as you might think. Think EVO mag quotes 1237 and askracing 1240. It's only around 20kg heavier than a CTR, if anything at all.

have also seen different figures aroud but it's not as heavy as you might think. Think EVO mag quotes 1237 and askracing 1240. It's only around 20kg heavier than a CTR, if anything at all.

Samm,

you reading my postings on other forums?? :wink: :lol:

lads, i thought that it was heavier than that cos my G60 is 1213kg and i thought that the VR is a fair bit heavier cos of the block?? :scratch:

Yeah, but it's a very compact V, and it's no longer than a 2.0 4-pot, and it doesn't have a great lump of supercharger on the side! :)

This has always been the myth (amongst G60 drivers, mostly): everyone assumes the VR6 is really heavy and that this kills the handling. Well it's not...

:lol: cheers for knocking me back down to earth there Matt (as a misguided 'G60' driver)

just remember tho, length isnt everything! just cos its short dont mean its not fat! :wink:

i distinctly remember reading that the VR is heavier and they had to slightly increase the ride height, which did impair the handling??

with a G lader being such a 'great lump' have you ever had one in yer hand? its not going to make that much difference! :lol:

i know its not a lot heavier than the G60 but thought it was closer to the 1.5t mark? but if thats what the handbook says then thats good enough for me!

its only the lads on the CTR forum bitching that the VR is a lard ass anyway! as an owner of a G60 and CTR i would just like to enlighten them and knock them back down to earth a little! :lol: :wink:

cant really coment on UKDM G60's to VR6's handling tho as mine is LHD = perfect wight balance! :wink:

cheers,

As dr mat said, weight of VR6 from handbook is 1210kg, weight of G60 is 1155kg, 16v is 1175kg.

The figures are based on a basic model with manual gearbox, auto box +30kg, and some extra for sunroof, air con etc. It doesn't go into specifics about these.

I've always thought is was 1250kg, not sure where I read that though.

I reckon mines going to be about 1400 by the time it's got the 4wd in it and those ridiculously heavy seats and brakes :-(

i distinctly remember reading that the VR is heavier and they had to slightly increase the ride height, which did impair the handling??

They might have increased the ride height, but they did that for *all* the late cars, so it's more likely to do with decreasing the likelihood of losing the sump to speed ramps... (I doubt the 2.0 8v has an engine so heavy..)

They also increased the track width and did a few other tweaks to the suspension for the VR6, but it was about countering the increased power/torque, rather than trying to "hide" the extra weight.

C VR6 weighs about the same as the Civic TR, IIRC...

No, you're right, I don't know how heavy a G lader is, but it *looks* heavy.. ;)

As dr mat said, weight of VR6 from handbook is 1210kg, weight of G60 is 1155kg, 16v is 1175kg.

The figures are based on a basic model with manual gearbox, auto box +30kg, and some extra for sunroof, air con etc. It doesn't go into specifics about these.

Was the sunroof an option on the VR? I thought the sunroof, leccie windows, adjustable steering column (spit), MFA, heated seats were all standard. The only weight-increasing options were leather seats and air-con..?

LHD G60- may well of seena thread you posted as I'm sure this subject has been raised before.

I thought the VR has wider tires as well as track? This will more than make amends for the increased weight and most Corrados have after market suspension these days anyway so it's a pretty good set up.

Yea those CTR boys crack me up, a friend of mine has one and he is much more honest about it's capabilities. e.g if you go on to the typ-r.org you will see numerous stories about slaying R32's,M3's, Boxster S's and M3's!!! it's a very good car but come on, it's not that good.... :wink:

hey Samm,

when i said have you been reading my other posts, i meant on http://www.civictype-r.co.uk

i am one of 'those CTR boys'! :lol: (my daily driver)

couldnt afford an R32 and was mortified at the lack of performance in the Golf GTI Turbo 180 for the prices they ask!

but yes you are right, there are some who get carried away with the CTR's capabilities and need a kick back down to earth tho! :wink:

it tells all on this 1/4 mile simulator really against the R32

http://www.jsread.com/tvr/quartermile.htm

and my cousin has an R32 and its close but i cant beat him! :x

corrado has much better handling than the CTR too 8) :wink:

cheers,

numerous stories about slaying R32's,M3's, Boxster S's and M3's!!! it's a very good car but come on, it's not that good.... :wink:

You get that on most forums though. Too many people exaggerate. Anyone can boast of 'slaying' an M3 that is out on a relaxed cruise and everyone knows an M3 will spit a CTR out of it's quad tailpipes with consumate ease.

Just laugh it off and let them get on with it and ask them why a Black CTR a month ago on the way to Colchester couldn't get past me if VR6s are such lard arses?

Kev,

you car's looking pretty sweet! i havnt been on the forum for a while now and its certainly changed! nice rims 8)

your VR isnt exactly standard tho is it?? whats the BHP you pushing out now?

thing with so many cars getting modded these days its hard to tell what you are up against too when you are out and about! my CTR isnt standard and there are some lads on there that are pushing 300 Bhp on standard internals and no NOS!

racing is a bit of a taboo topic on the CTR forum i am on tho, its just that sometimes ppl do get a bit 'enthusiastic' as you phrased it about what it is capable of!

i mean take a look at this thread that we have hijacked on scoobynet!

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.p ... ge=1&pp=20

some idiot thinking hes beeten an E55 merc! PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

i have to say to you mods tho that this forum is far friendlier and much easier to use! much respect! 8)

cheers,

Cheers my man :lol:

I have no idea what mine is pushing.... it was 200bhp with 193 ft/lb torque before the mods, so I'd guesstimate around the 215-220 figure with what it's had done.

CTRs are quick, don't get me wrong - I've driven one and know exactly what they're like, but they're not as quick as their owners like to think they are, but I'm sure as you've got one, your claims aren't as wild as some I've seen :wink:

It's a nice, well balanced and extremely rigid car but it's just not my cup of tea, but I can see why you like them. If only the Corrado had a gearshift half as good...and Honda's reliability!

Scoobynet, LOL! There are some decent guys on there but also a lot of clowns with dillusions of grandeur. An E55 has skinny tyres and RWD and it's easy to light the tyres up off the line.....but few scoobs, excpet maybe the 25R can compete with 500 pounds of torque :D

Thanks for the compliment on our forum! We are a good bunch here and don't take ourselves too seriously 8)

too right Kev,

good figures on the car there, you need to get it on RR!! 8)

as said, have been a member of the forum long before getting the CTR so know its a great place to be!

i stil love my G60 but cos of its age i dont want to push it too much so thats why i have the CTR as my run around! :lol:

i love to rev the nuts off a car too, so does suit me well!

have to be a bit more conservative on the red line with a G lader under the bonnet! :wink:

cheers,

I missed out on a RR day because I was too lazy to get out of bed, LOL!

I can tell by it's 'feel' that the engine is way over 200 brake... not bad for an old timer with 106k on it.

A CTR as a run around is not too shabby at all, nice one 8) There's a girl at work with a red CTR and we often end up racing each other down the country lanes on the way home afterwards, it's good fun :D It's quite amusing as they're both stiffly setup cars and we both bounce all over the B roads in attempt to out-do eachother! She's fit aswell, and can drive...a rare thing these days :lol:

Is your G60 standard?

K

I missed out on a RR day because I was too lazy to get out of bed, LOL!

we both bounce all over the B roads in attempt to out-do eachother! She's fit aswell, and can drive...a rare thing these days :lol:

Is your G60 standard?

K

bet thats not all you want to be bouncing all over with her then :wink: :lol:

yeah the G60 is standard at the moment, has needed some work doing to it as its sat in the garage for about 3 years with a blown charger while i was at uni so i have been working all summer on it to get it back on the road. too cold to keep going with it now though so will be back on the case next summer.

i have had quite a few niggly problems with it that have been time consuming but i am finally getting there! saying that its got no rust on it anywhere and only done 62k from new!

i think that most people would have given up on it by now but i love the car too much and just cant bring myself to get rid!

62K from new! Nice one!

We've had a few people give up and defect on us but it's a rewarding car if your perservere with it :lol: We've even had a few folk come back after trying something else!

At the end of the day, the Corrado may have it's faults but you just don't see many on the roads and mint ones are still head turners. What ever VW were smoking 10 years ago, they need to smoke some more of it 8)