Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

front/rear ride heights after lowering

after dropping my C 40mm front and rear, the front looks great, nice and low, but the back's still pretty high in comparison. In an amazinly technical way i've measured the gaps between the arch and the top of the tyre, the fronts '1 finger' and the back is '2 and a half fingers' :)

I'd like the back to be as low as the front so the car sits more like Kev's and g60dan's, is it just because I was cheap with the springs and to get that stance i need coilovers?

What dampers and springs did you use?? - not really alot you can do with the back unless you have the adjustable spring seats like on the Koni sport dampers....

bilstein dampers (not uprated i dont think) and 'ventura' springs which i've since learned are renound for being nasty :( not much i can do about that now, my pennies are all gone...

hacksaw? :lol: !

hacksaw. dont go nuts though.

if the springs are "nasty" anyway, then they are expendable.

what have you got to lose?

they might be nasty but i still spent my hard earned on them! knowing me i'll f**k them with the hacksaw! I'll probably just live with it for a while and invest in better springs later if i keep the car for another year or so, just wanted to know if something like the H&R's would give a simular stance or if the arse in the air look is pretty standard for uprated springs

unfortunatly i got them from euro car parts and their policy is something like you have to check the parts before you leave the store, if theres anything wrong after that..tough. (more words than that on a big poster behind the sales desk...nice!)

H&Rs offer a level ride but it's best to use them with Konis so that you can adjust the height of the rear over a 25-30mm range (on top of the spring's drop).

To get mine dead level and low, I had to use 10mm lowering caps on the front and drop the rear konis down 2 notches (10mm).

It was all going perfectly but every now and then and only over certain speed humps, and only with a full tank, and only on the nearside rear - the blasted tyre catches the arch lip..... no shredding, just a quick snag. I'm on the case with some shallower adapter plates to get round that one though :lol:

heh, yeah i found my fronts catch on the arch liner when...er...being enthusiastic! The improvemnt in handling is really nice, extra stability on corners rules, so long as i keep it just under the point it feels like its at the limit and is about to break away, otherwise scrubbage and (as i found out) tyre smoke results! :o

My fronts are fine....it's just the nearside rear! The arch profile seems to be ever so slightly shallower than the offside for some reason, or it could be my eyes :lol: Same thing used to happen on dropped MK1s, only one side would catch.....must be something to do with the tank feed pipe or something?

My fronts are fine....it's just the nearside rear! The arch profile seems to be ever so slightly shallower than the offside for some reason, or it could be my eyes :lol: Same thing used to happen on dropped MK1s, only one side would catch.....must be something to do with the tank feed pipe or something?

This used to happen to me before install and 18's and coilovers.

I was running 40mm drop on uprated shocks 17's, bit to much in the road etc and it would catch and shred me tyre

I had myn on 55mm springs & the 17's before I bought the coilovers & the rear sat high (now its as low as it will go :D )

the engine weight makes a difference too the front drop IMO..

Bally, i think yours is lower than mine, whats your ride like? what setup you got? curious cos mines well bumpy and im thinking of changing the coilovers

Hey mate, the ride is bumpy but it does handle.. I've got FK Adj Konigsport Coilovers.. the rears are wounds down as low as they will got & the front have abit left to go.. but its as low at it will go without modding front archs! full loock is fun :lol:

what you running? you got 16's or 17's??

they yr winter rims?? i'd have to take the front spilter of if I was to fit 15's :lol:

defo worth the £££ IMO :D

already got some 6x9's with huge magnets, 12" sub and an amp along with a spare borbet, a 2ft breaker bar and a pillow (to protect the sub when i stick stuff in the boot with pointy edges) so f**k knows how high it'd be if i took that lot out! :D