Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

G60 whine when cold.... Gearbox or Charger???

On Cold mornings my G60 whines in first and second for the first few minutes driving, usually as the revs get to about 2k rpm. If I clutch the noise goes, but then if i rev it in neutral it still whines, albeit alot quiter.

The noise is like an electric whirr/whine, and it didn't occur last winter. After fiv minutes the noise goes

Car has done 90k miles, charger was rebuilt 25k miles ago by Jabbasport.

Should I be worried, could it be the charger or is it first signs of needing a gearbox rebuild?

Cheers

i had a mytsterious noise on mine....after alot of messing around it was the cam belt tesioner

maybe run the car with no belt cover...wait till its whining and spray a little wd40 on the tensioner....it will shut up for a short while till it dries out

I think it would be better to replace the tensioner ASAP it it is that, If the bearings are on the way out it will accelerate wear on the cambelt

Replace the Cambelt and tensioner, Get the OEM kit.

then if it still whines at least the cam belts okay for a few thousand miles

my money would be on the cambelt tensioner, but when was the charge last looked at?

sounds like the cam belt tensioner to me andy, i had the exact same symptoms on mine. a whine for the first minute or 2 of driving when cold, then it dissapears. get it changed soon or it will eventually start whining all the time, not to mention the stress it puts on the timing belt :wink:

Cheers guys, I'd not thought about the cam belt tensioner. Belt & tensioner looked ok 12 months ago, but last belt change was done at 50k (40k ago), probably best to get both tensioner & belt replaced at same time then.

If it turns out to be that i'm quite happy!

i seem to have a constant whine just now, that sounds a bit like a toothed charger drive belt only quieter. all parts (tensioner, belts, charger) on that side of the engine have been there for 13 months/14k miles; ps pump and belt replaced in the summer.

I had a listen today, and think its the altenator, but i am not convced. Will try a wee bit of wd on the cam belt tensioner.

VW engines do tend to make a whine sort of noise when very cold - I think it must be to do with oil pressure, but I'm not sure.

Could be. I'm more inclined to think oil pressure though, since it seems more pronounced with fresh oil..

it deffinately inst the cam belt. its the charger belt, and it is coming from the altenator pulley i can sort of feel the whine trough the plastic gaurd. gonna take the belt off to see if the pulley has rusted or anything - would the altenator whine if the bearings were shafted in it? would it still work fine in this situation?

The problem is now sorted - it did turn out to be the cambelt tensioner, so we put a new belt & tensioner on at the same time.

Cheers lads!