Sign in to follow this  
Forty

Well pleased new owner of VR6!!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, i've only had my corrado a few days and thought i'd spread the word on how impressed i am.

I bought my car from a regular on here (jedi_knight83) who'd done a great job of sorting out his c, and luckily i've reaped all of the benefits.

I've owned a number of quick cars over the years, from rs turbos to impreza turbos, including a much missed P1(poxy mortgage!) and i can honestly say that after taking the vr6 for a good run through the lanes and nice A roads, its one of the most enjoyable and rewarding cars i've had. I honestly think that it matches the P1 for fun in the twisties. Maybe not as quick, but thats not what its all about is it!

Considering this car is 10 years old and has 94k on the clock (2 things that i was apprehensive about), it drives and feels superb.

It has Koni adjustables all round, which highlight the poor state of our roads in essex and also shows up a few rattles in the car, maybe i'll soften it up at a later date,we'll see.

I'm also having trouble getting used to the poor brakes (relative to the cars performance), especially after the P1's AP 6 pots. I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for a decent upgrade, although i don't really fancy having to put big aftermarket alloys on to accomodate them(i know i'm from essex but i don't wear a baseball cap, know what i mean geeze!)

Overall, i'm well happy with the car, its far more than i'd hoped for. Now i've just got to make the effort to keep it in its tip top condition.

Anyway, i don't 'arf go on when i've had a few drinks, but i think i've made my point. I'm one happy VR6 owner!

Please get back to us if you've got any ideas on the brakes.

Cheers,

Steve

you'll get plenty of input on the brakes mate or try the search function

anyhoo nuff said - welcome to the best corrado site :-)

Considering this car is 10 years old and has 94k on the clock (2 things that i was apprehensive about), .........

94k?? I could've sworn it had nearer 150k on when he bought it :?: :!:

:D Welcome to the fourm. I think you've got a good car to start your corrado ownership on 8)

Welcome to the forum and to be certain he is joking.

94k?? I could've sworn it had nearer 150k on when he bought it

The low cost option for this the 288mm conversion from a late Golf 3, this should be around £200-250 fitted and makes a big difference.

You going to need:

Calipers and carriers

new discs and pads

and finally hoses from VAG or the Goodridge Mk3 braided line kit

The funny thing is that I think Jedi sold the 288mm setup he acquired to Kevhaywire.

Anyway welcome aboard and congrats on buying a well sorted car.

Forty, Welcome to the forum...

I saw Jedi's car a few times and it's one of the best VR's I have seen and was obviously looked after before Nathan had it as well...

As for the brakes, the 288mm setup seems to most cost effective way to go and if you also manage to find some second hand 4 Motion carriers you can also fit the bigger 312mm disks - GTi International would be the best place to look for these!

Nathan spent plenty of time and money on that car, so I think you got yourself a good VR6 there.

Unfortunately a noisy cabin just seems to be an unfortunate side effect of having stiffer suspension put on.. mine is similar but you get used to it pretty quickly!

Anyway - welcome aboard and welcome to Corrado ownership. Glad its living up to your expectations :)

Thanks for the replys, a helpful forum like this is just what us corrado virgins need.

It does have over 150k on the clock but Nathan said that nearly 60k of that was from wheelspinning and burn outs in McDonalds car park, so it doesn't really count! :wink:

I was probably being a bit harsh about the brakes, i'll just have to see if i get used to them.

It does have over 150k on the clock but Nathan said that nearly 60k of that was from wheelspinning and burn outs in McDonalds car park, so it doesn't really count!

Thats only the front part of the car tho... The rear end has only done 50k's so it averages out at 100! :)

I was probably being a bit harsh about the brakes, i'll just have to see if i get used to them.

I found the brakes to be excellent when i first got my VR. Since fitting 17" wheel the car feels under braked. Not sure if this is due to the extra grip of the bigger tyres or the wheel having extra leverage on the disc due to the increase in wheel diametre. I've finally decided to get mine sorted, ordering a big brake conversion tomorrow :D

It sounds a bit obvious but if it has got knackered or worn discs on at the moment then its amazing the difference some new VW metal, pagid fast road pads and a brake fluid change will make :wink:

I agree, the standard VR brakes aren't really in keeping with the car's performance. Mind you, the Merc C200 Compressor has exactly the same calipers all round as the VR6 and they feel a lot stronger, so must be the way VW implemented them on the Corrado!

I find the 288 front setup and MK4 rear calipers and pads is about as good as you can get without spending silly money. The 288s really scrub speed off without fading but need a bit of a push.

What are you going for A20 LEE for the brake upgrade?

Ideally 335mm but not sure if caliper would clear split rim bolts and theres a 20% restocking fee so i'm going to plum for 310mm.

ah hello there. glad you enjoying my old car!!

after driving my s3 for a while, i noticed the corrado brakes were very poor when i did your test drive. If you go onto different forums like vr6golf or jct29 you may find some second had 288 brakes? as has been said i did have all the parts but sold them a few weeks before selling the car. sory bud.

288's are the only cheep option if you want to keep those 15" wheels (WHICH YOU DO :D ) or aparently the willwood 4pot caipers fit aswell but there more money!

only real way for you to soften that ride significantly is to fit those H&R springs i told you about. there about £150 and are ALOT more refined.

It sounds a bit obvious but if it has got knackered or worn discs on at the moment then its amazing the difference some new VW metal, pagid fast road pads and a brake fluid change will make :wink:

nah the pads and discs are fine... pagid FR pads and VW discs all about 9 months old.

may be worth doing a brake fluid change though. one of the few things i never actually got round to doing

always admired Jedis Corrado, did you get it with the schrick manifold?

yeah it went with the schrick. really didnt want to have to take it off cause it suits the car so well!!

Hi Nathan, I'm not sure what you was thinking when you decided to sell your Corrado, but you must be regretting it now! This car is great, i love it!

I'm getting used to the brakes now, just using more engine braking which helps to keep the car balanced anyway.

I may change the springs to the H&R's as you suggested. I have to go down an old cobbled road into work and i'm worried that it will shake the car to bits (although it'll probably shake me to bits before the car, as i was made in England rather than Germany!)

By the way, do you know which setting you had the dampers set at? I wondered if softening them up a bit would help.

Anyway, i'm still really enjoying the car. Its one of those cars that make you take the long route from a to b, and transform your miserable "i've just lost my legs to herpes" mood to "I've just shagged Kylie and she loved it" mood!

Strange analogy but i'm sure you know what i mean.

Forty, I have the same kit as Natahan. I found if you go softer with the settings the car won't handle as well and may introduce a bouncy feel. Just play about with the settings to find your preference.

hi forty. yeah i set the dampers as they are and there is pretty much no bouce anymore... its definately the springs you need to change.

yeah i dont know why i sold the corrado...especially after having the S3 sideways last night!!! understeer then oversteer... need to look into suspension mods asap i think!! :onfire: mind you... i had just been karting so maybe i was driving a bit too enthusiastically?