Sign in to follow this  
mark_ingle

De-Cating a G60

Hi, I have recently noticed that my cat is starting to break up. I can hear all the little bits rattling around.

I was thinking that it would be a great deal cheaper to get a cat bypass pipe instead of a replacement cat. My raddo is a 91 J plate so i believe it is pre the legislation on having one. Also i am hoping to free up a couple of extra horses :)

Currently ( I Think) it is on a standard system. will a de cat pipe fit on this ok??? and does anybody know a good place to get one from??? any help would be much appreciated.

Ta in advance

Can't help you with the technical aspect but mine is a 1992 J with a decat, and its fine for the MOT :)

anything pre K plate can be de-catted with no problems from the MOT man... 8)

Try sending John Mitchell a PM (he's 16VG60 on the forum) as he can supply Milltek cat bypass pipes for a good cost.... 8)

£55 is that all? Might put one on my golf then. Will I notice much difference performance wise?
You'll notice some but not too much - you'll notice more by combining it with a re-chip.

Well I had the Miltek system and decat fitted at the same time so I cant really say as the exhaust on its own would have been louder. I've still got a mid box as well as a back box so it's not super loud. There's a brilliant sound when you accelerate hard but it's not too bad when cruising. It gets a bit boomy from 90mph onwards but nothing that a couple of amps and a sub can't handle ;) Also I don't do too many motorway miles any more so it's not an issue for me.

_leon_ do you mean that you have done something to the rear box or just that it is exceptionally loud once you decatted it. Are you running a standard exhaust except the cat by pass or a stainless one, which i hear resonate a bit.

PS how are the wheels going??

My car already had a full s/s system with de-cat when I bought it. The rear box I believe was requested to have little silencing (it was a custom order made) and the oval tailpipe is a good 5/6 inches wide!! Generally I find it a little too noisy day to day, but when you're booting it and start the car up I love it... I'm sure my system is louder than most e.g. Milltek etc

It may be worth going to a track day near you and getting an idea of what exhaust you like the sound of or how loud you like it...

Wheels - theyre great thanks, cleaning them up this evening and theyre being fitted on Saturday :)