Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

labour charge for removal+refit of injectors

Hi all

just a quick question - I've been quoted a labour charge of 150+VAT for three hours work to remove the injectors and to refit (NOT TO CLEAN)

Is this a realistic time frame for this?

How easy is it to remove the injectors yourself on a VR6?

cheers

Hi,

I seem to remember it taking around 3 hours when I did it, but I was being ultra careful because petrol was involved.

You have to depressurise the fuel system, remove the plastic engine 'trim', remove the inlet manifold (or at least one half of it (can't remember exactly)), then remove the fuel rail.

Getting the old injectors off the fuel rail can be tough and getting them on even harder, but a garage should manage that no bother.

3 hours is probably not too far off, although a garage _should_ be able to do it a bit quicker I would have thought. Maybe the hourly rate is a bit steep too, but I suppose it depends what he's like whether it's worth it or not.

As an aside, I got a quote from http://www.boxermotorworks.co.uk to refurbish my 6 VR6 injectors. This includes sonic cleaning and replacements of their internal filters. The cost was to be £95 inc. VAT plus £5 postage.

This seems expensive at first until you remember that there's 6 of them and the description of their process sounded top notch. They thoroughly test them electronically too, so they'll not attempt to refurbish one that is beyond repair. And the 6 are done as a set and matched to each other.

Considering that a single brand new injector (which turned out not to be my problem) cost me nearly £100, and I shopped around extensively, this is good value.

I have not yet had it done, because obviously I can't drive the car in the meantime, but I sourced 6 from Ebay and may well give it a go soon as summer approaches. I'll report back if I go ahead with it.

Alan

You can get 6 brand new injectors at what ever flow rate you want for £300 inc vat aswell IIRC

I've taken heap loads of injectors out, swaped, replaced, cleaned, tested and all sorts.

Its a doddle, the hardest part is getting the access to some of the bolts to get the manifold off and as for the dangers of petrol, disconnect the battery and the worst that can happen is if it squirts in your eye or you drink it lol

If you take more than an hour to get them all out you are being too careful.

I think the C injectors are 14~16ohms impedance but if there's a problem you are as well getting new ones if budget allows as they do wear (windage) and this effects the spray pattern and volume, these are only slight differences TBH but it depends how critical you are being.

HTH

Chris

VR injectors are £45 each direct from Bosch.

I've got a spare set kicking around somewhere so might see if they can be refurbed. Might cure the hesitance and hunting at 2000 rpm I'm getting as everything else has been changed, inc the ECU and throttle.

steady kev, with all these jobs and new parts you'll be needing to put her on a 'Q' plate soon :lol:

Kev,

How do you buy the injectors direct from Bosch? I found it very difficult to find any information on this and had to go through the distribution network.

This would be extremely useful information for the future as the VWs are full of Bosch parts.

Thanks

Alan

Kev, it seems like 2000rpm is pathognomic of fuel injector problems...hesitancy and a hiccough same as mine. This seems to be a common problem and we've all been through the plugs-leads-fuelfilter-coilpack without joy. I hope this cures the problem though.

If I could get the injectors direct from Bosch I would...but don't they need to be mapped prior to installation or are we talking 'plug and play'?

none of these places seem too keen on getting their hands dirty and actually removing the injectors as part of the refurbing service :mad:

Update: done an engine ecu reset and everything seems miraculously cured !!!

How can a car that is misfiring badly with an erratic idle get sorted by simply rebooting the ECU?

Or is this just a temporary reprieve?

How do you do that? Got the same problem and it is not coil, leads or plugs. All have been changed.

Coughs along with a bit of back fire on reving. Star Performance have had it for a week and reckon it is injectors.

120K 94 VR6

well I'm sorry to report that the effects of the reset lasted a couple of days only and its back to the hesitancy and jerkiness on acceleration

Decided to change tha coilpack :roll: as well as 'cleanout' the ISV - for whats its worth...

Power delivery has improved but the existing problem remains - - so it looks like its the injectors out next for a cleanup and maybe a new fuel pump if that doesnt work..... :cry:

Check the battery terminals. Power feeds the ECU. Mine is fixed with a clean up of the terminals and it was really sick!!

Jim'll fix it!

Check the battery terminals. Power feeds the ECU. Mine is fixed with a clean up of the terminals and it was really sick!!

Jim'll fix it!

will try this too :)

Kev,

How do you buy the injectors direct from Bosch?

You need to go through a Bosch approved agent, for example, someone local that tunes/repairs engines etc usually supplies Bosch parts. There's one in my town and they also supply the MAF sensors at £150 exchange as opposed to VW's price of £300!

I'm starting to suspect the injectors too given everything else is new or recent. The engine is just very very sluggish and coarse when pushed at the moment and as usual, nothing comes up on VAG-COM!

i'm going to try the fuel pump, i think....if no joy, i'll have to do the injectors and or the MAF sensor......

Am I correct in thinking the MAF sensor is like a blade sticking into the air intake pipe?