Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Audioscape moulded sub enclosure - update 21/02

I think I probably will mate. My amp sits on the driver's side perfectly and all the wiring is cut to length, don't want to have run another load of expensive cable down again, plus there's room on that side to double stack my pair of Dual Monos, 1000W RMS of creamy grunt :D

show off with yer series threes! ive got a new profile sounds sooo sweet! cant wait to get my polyglass hooked up in the back!!

OK, here are the pics I promised. This box has two 5" focal subs in it. The guy just turned up and left them the car for 2 days, so they had to move fast on that one. Unfortunately we still haven't managed to schedule in a measure up for the passenger side yet. They know the Corrado well now, so it shouldn't take long to get the pass' side one sussed.

Thhats bloody cool :)

Persume the single 11" will need a muh bigger box tho.

THat really doesnt look very big at all

Don't forget the passenger side cavity is a lot deeper than the driver's side :wink:

That box is exactly what the 5" focals needed, 8 litres per sub.

It will be bigger, yep, but if you're going sealed, then it won't be massive by any means, about 0.5 cu ft.

That is very neat looking. Is there an amp running those and if so where has he hidden it do you know?

Please excuse my ignorance here as I am a total novice when it comes to ICE but would the 6" focals in the door pods (with tweeters) and those 2 in the boot combined with a larger 11" or thereabouts on the other side give a decent sound or would they be countering each other?? Assuming there were appropriate amps to run the various subs. ???

Also is there much of a difference in sound quality between a ported box and a sealed box?

lookin good kev 8) ill be after the same as billinjah sub wise, with the amp on the drivers side. which amp would you suggest to run focal components and the focal 11", sorry if you've already answered that.

That is very neat looking. Is there an amp running those and if so where has he hidden it do you know?

He's done the same as me, there's a Genesis 4 channel bolted to the passenger side cavity wall. Tucks under there (just) very neatly!

would the 6" focals in the door pods (with tweeters) and those 2 in the boot combined with a larger 11" or thereabouts on the other side give a decent sound or would they be countering each other??

You'd be better off with just the fronts + the 11" sub and then all you need is a 4 channel amp to run it all.

The two little subs in the box above were done that way because the car's owner is very strict on boot space (a keen fisherman) and that was the best compromise. The majority of us won't mind losing a wee bit of space for a good sound in return though. The 11" sub would just drown out the smaller ones, it's not worth it....but two 11s, now that would work :D

Also is there much of a difference in sound quality between a ported box and a sealed box?

Well that is one debate that can never be fully answered as sound quality is 100% subjective. Many people prefer sealed for sound quality and others prefer ported for more depth to the bass. Porting requires a much bigger box though, which is another reason why sealed is the preferred route with so many people.

I prefer ported myself and there are plenty of other cabinet options to choose from, but it's all down to space in the boot at the end of the day!

lookin good kev 8) ill be after the same as billinjah sub wise, with the amp on the drivers side. which amp would you suggest to run focal components and the focal 11", sorry if you've already answered that.

No worries....

Well, thing is...what I recommend is a Genesis Series III 4 channel....but it costs £650 :( If you can find one in the classifieds, ebay etc snap it up. Otherwise the much cheaper Genesis Profile range is good.

Don't bother trying to find Genny stuff cheap on the net....retailers aren't allowed to discount Genny stuff :? Genesis are VERY strict on that, the tight gits!

I think 650 for an amp isnt quite justifiable at the moment so ill go for the cheaper genesis can always upgrade if im feeling flush.

every corrado owner requires a second job!!! :lol:

I got a Genny 5 channel cause im uber fussy like that as i dont want to lose power to my MB Quart 6x4's even tho there faded out so much i cant hear em :lol:

But the internal amp on my JVC 909R can be switched off to lower heat genration and there fore increase (in theory) sound quality.

thus why i went for the 5ch.

but they retail at £750...

like Kev says, hunt classified sections!!

Tho TBH, my girlfriends car has and oldish Alpine V12 4 channel, and its pretty damn mental.

I think its rated at 40w per ch RMS but its actually got about 56 proven from the factory on a signed certificate.

its spot on for what it does and sounds better than i could ever imagine. put it this way, on this set up, her single 12 goes as loud as my mates 2 12's on seperate (i think) amps.

Id recommend one in a hsot and can be picked up for around 100 notes second hand.

model number MRV F407 i think. bloody ace wee thing.

Thats exactly what i am looking for, only will it be much hassle to fit a 12" sub as i already have one? Will the encloser need to be bigger and stick out more or anything like that? I like the way it sits flush and with the quality of Audioscape it will look so neat.

Any ideas on prices for box on passenger side and amp rack on drivers side?

Tho TBH, my girlfriends car has and oldish Alpine V12 4 channel, and its pretty damn mental. Id recommend one in a shot and can be picked up for around 100 notes second hand.

model number MRV F407 i think. bloody ace wee thing.

Thanks for the advice dubster v. informative, ill start hunting straight away 8)

i got a genesis profile for 175 from ebay four channels hi low pass filters super sweet sound!! just need to work out what these simms are for anyone? what colour should i use?

Graham, I've got an MRV-340 if you want it? It's my old amp and had about a month's use!

£100 + P&P (tenner usually). PM me if you're interested.

Thats exactly what i am looking for, only will it be much hassle to fit a 12" sub as i already have one? Will the encloser need to be bigger and stick out more or anything like that? I like the way it sits flush and with the quality of Audioscape it will look so neat.

Any ideas on prices for box on passenger side and amp rack on drivers side?

Yeah the box will need to come out more for a 12, not buy a horrendous amount though. The box price is likely to be around £180 ish....sounds a lot but well, you've seen the pics and believe me, that is one solid cabinet!

An amp rack on the driver's side is easy to be honest. Just need a bit of carpeted wood to screw to the panel behind the carpet, then screw the amp to that. All the wires run under the speaker shelf nicely and out of the way. There's a nice 10mm bolt welded to body behind the pass rear door card to earth your amp to aswell 8) No wires visible in the boot at all :D

He's done the same as me, there's a Genesis 4 channel bolted to the passenger side cavity wall. Tucks under there (just) very neatly!

i'm thinking of buying the 5 inch x2sub enclosure how does this compare with a 12 inch sub? i'm currently running a JBL 12 inch GTO sub and its lardy dimensions take up half the boot space!

also i like the idea of the 4 chanel amp bolted to passenger side cavity, but the series 3 that you have is a bit steep, is there a cheaper alternative with the same dimensions, i'm thinking 150 ish? also would a cheaper 4 chanel amp cope with the two 5 inch subs and a set of 6 x 9's

cheers