Sign in to follow this  
SteveM16v

Driving rather fast

Ive had 130ish on a private road (M62) in my 1.8 valver felt really solid and wanted more but the corner/hill came so had to slow down.

on the clock it read about 142 in my last 2L 16v......and it seemed as if i was hovering after 130ish...but upto 120ish it seemed quite solid and stable with no mods at all...

I swear I was close to breaking the sound barrier on the way to Norwich today. Unfortunately my speedo only reads up to 600mph. Ho hum.

I got my VR up to an indicated 140, but as people say you do need to be very careful with your steering input at that speed.

The car felt rock solid, shame I was crappin me pants and had to slow down.

Also, if you've got soggy rear bushes your C will feel very sloppy and unstable at pretty much any speed above 50. Well mine did anyway...

Mine seems a little varied in how it behaves. On the motorway to Oxford last week, when the wind was blowing quite heavily the car felt a little unstable prone to slight changes of direction under the heavier gusts.

But at Brunters I did have it up to 133MPH (140MPH on the clock) and it seemed pretty straight and true.. problem was the surface was so rough compared to say a motorway, it was impossible to compare the straight line characteristics - by that kinda speed I thought I was going to start losing teeth and stuff.

shame I was crappin me pants and had to slow down.

That's the thing.... past 100mph all I can think about is a cop parked by the side of the road pointing a radar gun at me, so yep, you do carp yourself from that point of view.... and also people pulling out in front of you....and braking from 100+ down to 70 or 60 with standard VR brakes is another pant soiling moment!

you should try 120 to zero with a set of Brembos then Kev! I think Jim nearly lost his eyeballs at Brunters when I demo'd to him how good they are! :lol: If that doesn't inspire you to be the first to work out how to do the New Seat Ibiza 5 stud conversion, nothing will! ;) :lol:

Yeah the Brembos are ace.... would have been my next mod but the RH rims put an end to that plan! The Brembos won't go behind them unless some big spacers are used to clear the split-rim bolts :? Oh well!

I'm very chuffed with the 288 front / MK4 rear setup anyway. The car actually has something resembling brakes now :lol:

What is it with VW's and brakes? Up to MK4 they've all been sh1te!

the new Seat Ibiza has a different design of caliper... it's not badged as Brembo and is a different shape from the Brembos for the 4 stud cars... I reckon they may still fit... ;)

whats the difference between the 4 nd 5 stud setup then? apart from teh obvious...

Surely its the same caliper with a different bracket on it?

I think Jim nearly lost his eyeballs at Brunters when I demo'd to him how good they are! :lol:

Check your footwell mate as I think they are still down there somewhere! :)

I'd love to have seen a front on view of your motor as you did that as there would have been a bloody cloud of brake dust coming off.

That Brembo setup seriously stops the car - no arguing with that.

whats the difference between the 4 nd 5 stud setup then? apart from teh obvious...

Surely its the same caliper with a different bracket on it?

Seat has stopped it's association with Brembo for the New Ibiza Coupra and has put "SEAT SPORT" calipers on instead. They're still 4 pot, and still 305x28 disks, but they're a different design caliper (obvious when you look at 'em if you know the Brembo's shape) and they're now 5x100...