fla

fade-out cabin light

A lot of cars nowadays have the feature that after a period of say 10 seconds, the cabin light fades out, rather than simply switching off like the C. Actually even the old E36 Beamer has this and thats also from 91ish. Anyone does this mod and if so, please share the details! Would be good with appropriate LEDs - I have red and blue in my car.

A lot of cars nowadays have the feature that after a period of say 10 seconds, the cabin light fades out, rather than simply switching off like the C. Actually even the old E36 Beamer has this and thats also from 91ish. Anyone does this mod and if so, please share the details! Would be good with appropriate LEDs - I have red and blue in my car.

I've got a circuit diagram somewhere, hope to faded up and down the whole dash like a touareg v10

How's this for an idea? Put an in-line capacitor in the interior light wiring. It should release it's charge slowly enough to dim the light, I would have thought. Must be only a quid or so to buy from Maplins. No idea what rating you should use, though - any ideas, anyone?

Might do this myself next time I get a day off work, which should be some time in February. If anyone does it before me, let me know how it went.

Don't know much about electronics so I would ratehr just follow someones wiring diagram and solder the items accordingly. Although i would agree with your theory Storm_Warning. So Lee, where the diag?

Modern cars use Pulse Width Modulation circuits to fade the light out over 2 seconds but an electrolytic cap of the right value might do the same thing. You can actually buy ready made fade-out modules and lights on buzzer circuits for not much money.....

fla, yup, they sell the lights on/off fader and headlights on buzzer kits... 8)

fla, yup, they sell the lights on/off fader and headlights on buzzer kits... 8)

wired the maplins lights on buzzer to the wrong terminal on my headlight switch, the buzzer now changes tone with the dash light dimmer control, :lol:

David.

6 years (almost 7 in fact!) and i'm still looking for a plug-in circuit of something simple to achive this. Cant find anything on MAplin's website. Any ideas appreciated.

Can't help with a diagram, but what I do know is that my dads Z3 has a light fade. Maybe you could look at sharing some of the bits from a donor car.

Kudos for bringing the thread back to life. May do this myself, as I've already done the lights on buzzer mod.

The Amazon one looks like it's for a delay to me, not a dimmer - if mine is standard then you should already have one! (my interior light doesn't shut off until ~5 seconds after I shut the door)

Using a voltage follower is the 'correct' way to do it but using a large cap would probably work too. I've got some 741s in the bits box so I'll have a play once I'm back home. Should be possible to do on a fairly small bit of veroboard which would fit under the sunroof motor cover.

Stone

thanks Beastie. That Amazon one looks just the ticket, when its in stock of course!

I ordered two as well.

The Amazon one looks like it's for a delay to me, not a dimmer - if mine is standard then you should already have one! (my interior light doesn't shut off until ~5 seconds after I shut the door)

Using a voltage follower is the 'correct' way to do it but using a large cap would probably work too. I've got some 741s in the bits box so I'll have a play once I'm back home. Should be possible to do on a fairly small bit of veroboard which would fit under the sunroof motor cover.

Stone

A previous purchaser at the bottom of the page does state that it dims the light instead of just switching off.

I used to like how my old clifford alarm delayed the interior light, and came on with remote unlocking.

Found this (dimming unknown);

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/app10.php

Or how about keeping it OEM with VW/Audi relay 382 part number 4D0 907 131 should just need a relay plate and a couple of extra wires.

Edited by science