Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Red Lamps, Which bulbs?

I've just tinted my rear lamps all red and wanted to know what bulbs do i need to use to make the indicator as orange as possible...........i thought maybe i should go over the bulbs with the 'Amber Light' yellow tint............any offers??

does it actually make much of a difference? have noticed Pugs using green bulbs so I guess it must do something...

Look at tri-colour LEDs... Red only = red light. Green only = Green light. Red AND Green = Amber light... 8)

yup... I think the end conclusion was that you may need both a white and a green bulb in there so that you get both red and green light coming through the filter... I gave up and just bought some FKs... :lol: :roll:

yeah i gave up too and just painted my lights, they still flash quite orange but not 100%

i must get some green bulbs and do a job on my daily driver Corrado

Ok guys am sorry for ambushing your thread but am thinking of tinting my rear lights all red need a 'how to' on tinting them, Ive done a search but have been unable to find anything.

Can you give me an idea on the best way to do it ???

cheers

(again sorry for raiding the thread)

I have previously tinted my own lights. Use the shop bought tinting spray, clean thouroughly (leave the original red areas untouched just do orange and clear) build up gradually with multiple light applications and t-cut back to get a nice smooth shiny standard look finish.

On the ones on my car they were done professionally as I asked them to mask along the lines on the lights leaving orange strips between for the indicators. Once the masking was removed they applied a further light coat of red over the finished product to cover the orange ( this is optional you can leave the orange in place. Use green tinted bulbs for best results. Heres a pic with the 'stripes' left in amber as on Asim's car..

t_edition_38_2003_036.jpg

Did mine yesterday and they seem to shine kinda orange with normal bulbs... it's just the pink reverse lights that worry me!!!

How did you get on geordiedubber?

Yeah did mine today (in the kitchen- missus not best pleased) they turned out ok a couple of very small runs but cant relly notice them.

And like yourself my indicators seem orange but need to see them in daylight as it was getting dark when i put them back on... But as you say like my kitchen floor the reverse lights are pink,

How can i get around this?? Surely its gonna fail m.o.t.

Ill try and get some pics up tomorrow.

Guess it depends how pleased your MOT man will be when he finds a crate of beer with his name on it on your passenger seat... not that I'd even suggest a bribe :wink:

Well, Phil and I sprayed two sets of lights - one of which are now on the Passat - and having now seen mine at night, I can confirm that the indicators are definitely more red than orange, and that's with orange bulbs too!

Think i may try with green bulbs as advised by OSV!

Put up with pink!?! I have the slight advantage of having a set of smoke/red FK's which I can change back to as and when needed... Dave and I striped the reverse and indicators before spaying and gave the lights 2 or 3 coats, then removed the stripes and gave an extra coat of red before laquering... it works fairly well and the indicators are more orange than the rear lights (still have more of a red than an orange light though) and the reverse do display whitre lines in between the red/pink - it does give you much more of a pink reverese though. I think the best way is to have a freindly MOT dude or have some back up lights that shine legally... still to try green bulbs - deffo worth a look 8)

Sorry peeps - but basic physics means that Red being a primary colour and being the filter - it won't let any other light through.

I doubt the 'Green' bulb trick will work.

I asked this question to one of Jen (my g/f's) theatre buddies who is a Lighting Director in the West End - he said its not possible...