Sign in to follow this  
SleekG60

Thinking of doing 1.8T swap....please give me ur input!

Wanna Do a 1.8T swap what do you guys think?? Or should i just Send out my G60 to KK for a stage 4 rebuild?? please would like ur input....

Thanx Dustin

For the money you spend on doing the conversion you could make your G60 into a real monster couldn't you? Also, would your insurere take a dim view of engine swapping and bump up your premium? Just a thought?

Having had experience of both engines I'd agree with Neil g60 - 1.8T might be very tunable but its a totally characterless engine. My engine is not exactly what you'd call standard but still struggle to get less than 28mpg from it - my Leon Cupra struggled to do 26mpg

Yep - get that charger off to Kompressor Kanada and let them work some magic.. spend a bit of cash on some engine mods and save yourself the countless thousands it would cost to get a 1.8T dropped in there.

Too few G60's left these days and if you have opportunity to keep yours tip top and on the road you should do it! Just stay away from a foam filter if you want to keep your g-lader safe :)

I can't agree with the "characterless engine" remark at all. The 1.8T in my mum's Leon Cupra is an absolute peach. Last week it managed 38mpg on a return journey to Stansted too (approx. 200 miles). It'd be my choice every time - although I've never driven a G60!

I agree with the characterless comments - it is. It sounds like a sewing machine.

My mate's Cupra R (a well over-rated car imo) is totally soul-less and uninspiring. If it wasn't for the Brembos and 18s, I really cannot see any other reason for buying one, well, his has got the Recaro upgrade aswell so is a bit more desirable than the next one. He offered it to me for substantially less than what he put it in the AT for but I turned him down because it has approximately 1 tenth of the character of my VR.

I would have thought the newer engine would be more economical what with technological advances and all that. But I've not driven either so I stop now.

I would have thought the newer engine would be more economical what with technological advances and all that. But I've not driven either so I stop now.

Don't think it's technically that advanced, G60 might use a bit of power to drive the charger but it is a fully electonic fuel and ignition system, suppose the head is a bit prehistoric but good enough with the forced induction.

The 2.0FSI turbo on the other hand sounds pretty impressive!

Trouble is, with so many saftey features and good handling how many mkV GTI's are going to get written off :)

David.

Don't think it's technically that advanced, G60 might use a bit of power to drive the charger but it is a fully electonic fuel and ignition system.

David.

You'd be surprised how far off the mark you are, David. Bosch Me7.x has about 15K calibratable parameters and the strategy guide is 6000 pages worth. Even a top of the range Motec EMS is light years behind a 5 year old OEM ECU. The complexity of the 1.8T makes the VR6 look like a pushbike in comparison and there are plenty of folk here who can't even grasp how that EMS works.

Character? Buy a 5, 6 or 8-pot if you want character. Alternatively, pull a plug on a 4 pot - instant Subaru. Where 4 pots are concerned, I'd rather be quick than sound quick.

I have driven a G60 Turbo Engine and supercharged one.

I also have a 380bhp(Jabba) 20VT in the back of my Lotus Elise.

This engine is no way souless - it has transformed my car into a monster!

I have to say that I do miss my G60 Golf. though. That instant torque from a charger is unique. Especially after G-Werks have gotten their hands on it!

You'd be surprised how far off the mark you are, David. Bosch Me7.x has about 15K calibratable parameters and the strategy guide is 6000 pages worth. Even a top of the range Motec EMS is light years behind a 5 year old OEM ECU. The complexity of the 1.8T makes the VR6 look like a pushbike in comparison and there are plenty of folk here who can't even grasp how that EMS works.

Character? Buy a 5, 6 or 8-pot if you want character. Alternatively, pull a plug on a 4 pot - instant Subaru. Where 4 pots are concerned, I'd rather be quick than sound quick.

We appreciate your input Mr Nothelle and you clearly know your stuff but I don't think there is any need to be so condescending. I apologise in advance if that is just your 'tone'.

Bosch Me7.x has about 15K calibratable parameters and the strategy guide is 6000 pages worth

This may be the case but the electronics are but one aspect in all of this. In the end both cars are 4 pot blown engines with alternative ways of forcing the charge in. One just happens to be newer than the other.

Dustin, get behind the wheel of a car with a 1.8T in it and see how it feels. If it was my money I would have KK breathe all over it. :-P