Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Carbon Canister Removal/Relocation VR6

Ahh, my bumper has been meshed at the bottom, that why the sensor was dangiling down. I may be able to squeeze it in one of the holes in the mesh. Thanks for that! :lol:

I thought it was "Hydro Lock" or somthing like that - i.e. water gets in the cylinders and can't be compressed so generally shags (technical term!) pistons/rods etc. i.e V V V expensive. BUT you have to have the air filter completely submerged - i.e. about 2 foot of standing water!!!

I have been running with my turn2 cai induction kit for 3 weeks plus now and on a recent journey through the highlands had to drive in some of the worst weather I can recall - absolutly teeming down. This lead to large amounts of standing water on the road which I hit at speed a couple of times (trying to pass convoys of tourists travelling nose to tail at 40 mph!)

Anyway my engine seems to have survived!!!

:D :D

I konw there has been a lot of discussion on this before, but there are a few differing veiws.

I took my airbox out last night, and inner wheel arch of to have a look around for a place to relocate the CC, its pritty tight under the wheel arch.

Has any one relocated it easly?

Relocated next to the Rad, infront of the Alternator?

Had any problems removing it all together?

If I remove it all together I will let the tank vent to fresh air, not in the engine bay though. Fix a filter to the other pipe, will this be OK, leaving the switched valve in place, or remove it?

I would like to keep the CC Idealy to prevent any problems with running and mots.

Cheers Guy.

I have removed it - it has given me a ~2mpg increase in economy and the tubing for 'venting to fresh air' is easy - it fits perfectly into one of the little wholes in the wheel arch.

The 2mpg increase may also be attributed to the ducting of cooler air to the induction kit from the front of the car, but yes, I did notice a clear benefit.

I actually just put mine back in, the petrol fumes were terrible, even with it vented to the wing. I never noticed any difference with it out either tho I do plan to relocate it in the future and get an air feed in place.

The only thing the CC is there for is to remove petrol fumes from your exhaust so that they don't ignite inside your CAT. Have those that have removed it also removed their CAT's if not have you had any problems with it going when you've been ragging it? You definitely shouldn't block that breather but does the lack of canister affect the absortion rate, do you get any fuel into your exhaust (ie flames, smell of fuel etc...)

The exaust doesnt really come in to it, its the fuel tank breather that goes into the carbon canister and this is then fed back into the intake system via a valve that is pulsed on startup.

I also had a fault code coming up when i had the cc removed as I had removed the valve and left the plug hanging.

The exaust doesnt really come in to it, its the fuel tank breather that goes into the carbon canister and this is then fed back into the intake system via a valve that is pulsed on startup.

I also had a fault code coming up when i had the cc removed as I had removed the valve and left the plug hanging.

You will get an "N80 - Frequency valve - open circuit" fault if you disconnect it. Or something along those lines.

N80's job is to allow the vapours held in suspension in the CC to be drawn into the engine under load. At idle and over-run, N80 closes. If N80 sticks permanently open, you will get a rough idle and unresponsive/rough part throttle acceleration and also petrol smells at idle as the inlet suction pulls vapours out of the tank.

The carbon in the canister absorbs hydrocarbons from the fuel vapours.

As part of the EU 2 emission laws, all cars had to have greatly reduced hydrocarbon outputs, and that included the fuel vapours!

Personally I'd relocate it. There is the potential danger of a fire if petrol vapours (the highly flammable part of petrol) get anywhere near the exhaust manifold or if someone does some welding (heaven forbid) on your car. An inline fuel filter over the end of the vent hose would reduce that risk though.

Kev

ive recently removed mine,and i can smell petrol fumes more than before :(

You will do.

Where does the vent hose begin it's journey to the front of the car from? Could you not hang it up in the rear arch with a filter on the end? The spinning rear wheel and under car air movement would draw the fumes out of the back as you drive along. That's basically how non CC equipped MK2 Golfs did it.

Kev

Where does the vent hose begin it's journey to the front of the car from? Could you not hang it up in the rear arch with a filter on the end? The spinning rear wheel and under car air movement would draw the fumes out of the back as you drive along. That's basically how non CC equipped MK2 Golfs did it.

Kev

Good idea that, never thought of that one.

Im pretty sure it runs alongside the main fuel line from the fuel filter, at least it did on my 16v

Nah, thats a seperate blue sensor that can be reached in the hole that the carbon can came out of. It clips ito the front bumper.

Anyone moved this up to the airbox area to moniter intake air temps with the mfa instead of external temp? :lol:[/quote:977b4]

The VR6 already has an air intake temperature sensor.

It's on Block 1 I think on VAG-COM on the Engine's fault code page.

Blocks 1 to 3 display Air intake temp, ignition timing, idle speed, throttle angle, O2 sensor output, EGR valve temp and a couple of other things. Quite nifty!

Kev

Opinions please, is it worth it or not to remove the canister (fuel vapour risks etc). I need to fit a cold air feed for my new BMC and removing the canister would be an ideal place for the feed but i dont want to do this if there are going to be excessive fuel vapours........oh and one thing if the fuel breather is just left uncovered is it not likely to evaporate your fuel quicker whilst the car is stood?

No need to remove it- or spend ages relocating it! It fits perfectly under the MAF. Just cable tie it into position on the driver's side strut (there are various things to tie it to, including the metal hooks used to secure the air box).

Takes a couple of minutes.

i'm sure mine didn't have a plug on it, mine is removed with no ill affects also got a samco intake from the grill to a BMC CDA and had no problems at all with it

DSCF0120-vi.jpg?1108590672