Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

what worn front suspension rubbers look like after 135,000m

Started to finally change all the bushings and rubbers on my front suspension, here's what the roll bar bush and drop link bushes look like compared to the new ones, both wishbone bushes were in pretty good nick visually, but the rubber was probably much more worn, these got squashed to bits pressing them out of the wishbone so not much point in taking a pic of them.

Car feels much better already and I've still got konis and rear beam bushes to do yet.

This isn't really a 'do on the drive at home' job though and pressing out and in bushings to wishbones is not easy, be warned :)

David.

billinjahg60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:18 pm Post subject:

you can do it on your drive if you boil the rubbers first!

Is this true? or are you yanking our chains? :)

I know my wishbone bushes need doing, part of the advice from the last MOT, I might aswell replace the whole lot I think, is it going to be a nightmare doing it myself? How much would a garage charge d'ya think? questions questions always more questions :)

billinjahg60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:18 pm Post subject:

you can do it on your drive if you boil the rubbers first!

Is this true? or are you yanking our chains? :)

I know my wishbone bushes need doing, part of the advice from the last MOT, I might aswell replace the whole lot I think, is it going to be a nightmare doing it myself? How much would a garage charge d'ya think? questions questions always more questions :)

Garages would just replace an entire wishbone, the labour in pressing out old bushes is not cost effective.

However, as I've just helped do the job I would say that you can replace the front and rear wishbone bushes with a big vice to press them in and out, we used a big (like 50mm) socket, to push the rear bush in, but had to cut the old one out with a hacksaw (carefully).

Inner roll bar bush requires a partial drop of the subframe, I wouldn't want to attempt this on axle stands!

Also, a number of parts can sieze solid if they haven't been off before and you may need to replace nuts you maight not have thought you needed.

If you do the ball joints, your wheel alignment will also have to be re-done, might get away with it if you only do bushes and your car hadn't been set up to compensate for worn parts.

David.

thats what my bushes and droplinks looked like after 120k on the G60

now they are purple :lol:

I did my, wishbones, and anti roll bar bushes on my drive. Not much fun, but do able if you have a big vice etc. It made a dig difference to how my car drives.

Renewed my entire suspension on the driveway - ball joints, CV joints, wishbones, shockers, springs, anti roll bushes, etc. Removing the old items is usually much more difficult than fitting the new ones.

Just remember to have all 4 wheels professionally re-aligned after any work involving front suspension replacement.

After reading alot of other posts about bush replacement it looks like i'll have to invest in a vice of some description and take a course of steroids.

No doubt it'll be worth it in the end, just need to overcome the 'fear' of fecking it up, and having to get it towed to a garage :) where they'll point and laugh :p