Sign in to follow this  
thorpey

driving your corrado

is it just me or do you get the feeling of sheer happiness everytime you drive your corrado,they are great cars and i have owned alot of cars in my time and none have given me as much pleasure as my corrado,people always ask what it is and what mods have been done it certainly is my pride and joy

The days when it bugs you, it really bugs you.. but the days when its working great, driving it is an absolute pleasure.

I remeber when I had committed to buying my Saxo and was taking my first Corrado (2.0 16v) on one of its last outings (rolling road day at Stealth a few years back) - I had the stereo blasting, the sunroof and windows open, it was a beautiful day and I just loved the drive home.. all I could think to myself was 'bugger - this will be all over in a day or two'.

Was so glad to be getting rid of the money pit, but so so sad to be getting rid of it! Talk about catch 22!! :)

Great to drive, and they can make you proud, especilly when gleaming clean. Except that in Black, with no garage, and a shed load of trees in the vicinity, washing it about twice a week is the only way I can manage that.

The person who ordered my car must have been a real masochist because he ordered an all black interior as well...

im new to corrado's,is the supposed vw reliability not as prominent with these fantastic motors? :?:

To be honest, I like to look at it more than I like to drive it. The 16v isn't the most inspiring drive I've ever experienced.

gotta agree about the first bit!

and gotta agree about the 2nd :lol:

have you not thought about the 9a/abf 2.0 route?

a pretty good way to get around 180 reliable horses with good torque figures...

if id have ended up with a valver,id have loved to drop in an abf,and bolt on some throttle bodies 8)

an all black interior as well...

you raggy git :lol:

im waiting for a good time to swap one over.

neil.

Nowt wrong with a valver! It may not have the noise of a VR or the whine of a G60 but it dunt half scream, and mine loves being sunk into 7 grand :)

I do love driving it. Having just had it in the garage for 3 weeks having a rebuild (not by choice), I was seriously wondering why I bothered with it, and why I didn't just jack it in and get a £200 diesel from eBay, especially when I went to pick it up and the headlights stopped working and the bonnet release broke. THen I picked it up last Thuesday and actually drove it, and remember why I'd just committed myself to a year of debt....

I can't wait for the head to be run in though so I can take it above 4000 revs though :-) As to performance, it's good enough to outshine 90% of cars on the road...and it's 15 years old!

and gotta agree about the 2nd

if id have ended up with a valver,id have loved to drop in an abf,and bolt on some throttle bodies

You mean drop in 2.0 block?

Hopefully gunna be my summer project, build it in the garage and then swap em over! Whats the most BHP ect can hope for, with cams ect?

To be honest, I like to look at it more than I like to drive it. The 16v isn't the most inspiring drive I've ever experienced.

Bc.... I'm with you on that one mate.

I often find myself looking at my motor out of our works office window which offers the cars best viewing angle (low front offside aspect), and I think to myself how cool -yet-understated they look.

I also sometimes remember how much faster my old (C reg- non 130) SRi Cav was compared to the 'Rado, and I must admit to sometimes missing the sense of dental filling removal when the right foot is planted.

Ah, but don't worry though, cos I'm constantly re-assuring myself that I'll get a G60 or Vr when I'm flush, and that makes my rose tinted Vauxhall delireum fade right away) :wink:

Should I expect PM off Dr Matt?

I think 180 is a safe bhp for the valver whilst keeping costs within reason. I'm going thru quite a dark stage with the vr, at the moment I'm considering selling it but I will decide for certain when I get it back from the garage. You could feed a 3rd world country with the amount I've spent on mine!

LOL, u duno the half of my troubles!!

3 different things wrong in a week!!!!!!!!!!

8 days of possible driving, and have driven 2 of them But thats love for u eh!!! and, to top it off, i have a rental micra :(

So what mods for 180?

ABF motor is from either a MK3 GTI 16V or a Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport, they are a "Tall Block" 2 litre 16v with Electronic Fuel Injection, so fully mappable, 150Bhp std........

9A motor from the C and pissrat is KE-Jetronic, mecanical and electrical injection, but has a crank sensor which KR motors dont have!

ABF with cams, headwork, balance, chip and filter you are looking at maybe 195+bhp, add throttle bodies and talking 220+ easy!

I have driven an ABF converted MK2 and although torqey, they just don't rev as well a the 1.8's!

I deffo prefer the KR motors, torque is for lazy people :)

and gotta agree about the 2nd

if id have ended up with a valver,id have loved to drop in an abf,and bolt on some throttle bodies

You mean drop in 2.0 block?

Hopefully gunna be my summer project, build it in the garage and then swap em over! Whats the most BHP ect can hope for, with cams ect?

yep... :D

9a engine codes in the corrado 91 - 95.

9a engine code in the passat gt 88 - 93,some are kr code 1800cc though.

abf engine code from any 2.0 16v mk 3 golf gti.

theres others too,but a little more work.

if you run standard kr cams in a 9a,if its in good order with few in-expensive tweeks,then you can seriously expect around 175 @ the fly.

ive seen someone at a little over 180! :shock:

neil. 8)

i was on the lines of jetronic-mechanical fuel infection, and swaping for 2.0 lump, with 16v head ect, what BHP u reckon within reasonable costs could i reach?

lol, was typing as it was posted DOH!

Kr mod, you mean the inlet 2 exhaust or what ever it was?

With racing cams. . .?

Will leave it now and post up for info when i get the block! :)

Cheers!!

aye summat like that, TBH When I had my ABF'd MK2, a mate of mine had done the same conversion done to his MK2 but with the KR inlet cam mod, and whupped him everytime when we were drag racing at croft! Tee Hee!

He was quite annoyed :)

yep,just the kr inlet cam. :thumb right:

a good rolling road set up,and having the warm up regulater tweeked,should see decent figures and give good drivability. :D

I have a friend with a Renault 5 Turbo and I've watched him modifying it over the last few years. Each step he takes makes it a little bit worse to drive, and for very small gains in power it seems.

There's no way I'd go the same route and modify the Corrado for extra power when VRs are so cheap now. The only engine swap that would interest me is a TDi conversion!

Great to drive, and they can make you proud, especilly when gleaming clean. Except that in Black, with no garage, and a shed load of trees in the vicinity, washing it about twice a week is the only way I can manage that.

I can relate! Black looks great just after a wash and wax, but an hour later it looks dirty again. As much as black looks cool on a sporty car, I'm not sure I'd go for it again!

So true. The constant repairs and time when its off the road it makes me crazy

Glad it's not just me!!! :lol: :lol:

FAO bcstudent:

re: the R1 delivery on 1st March.

I am so jealous! Wrote one of these of last August & insurance is forcing me to Suzuki SV650S this year.

Enjoy, ya lucky fecker, & be careful with the right hand. :twisted:

Roll on next year!

8)

There's no way I'd go the same route and modify the Corrado for extra power when VRs are so cheap now. The only engine swap that would interest me is a TDi conversion!

Nah, J-DUB was an utter blast to drive after I rebuilt and modified her... BAGS more torque and power then standard, yet as refined (although somewhat noisier)

I know what you mean about the TDi conversion though... ;) 8)

I've already put 4000 miles on my Grey G60 since early Jan, and I'm loving every mile... 8) That's why I bought a Corrado in the first place... If I'm stuck in a car for 2 hours+ a day, I want something that looks good, is different from the normal fords and jap-crap, is comfortable and has a bit of go behind it... 8)