Sign in to follow this  
thorpey

driving your corrado

have you not thought about the 9a/abf 2.0 route?

I have a friend with a Renault 5 Turbo and I've watched him modifying it over the last few years. Each step he takes makes it a little bit worse to drive, and for very small gains in power it seems.

...when VRs are so cheap now. The only engine swap that would interest me is a TDi conversion!

but with a 2.0 swap theres no real modifications,its just a standard lump,with the kr inlet cam just to bring the peak power up,and the wur mod to stop the mixture leaning out up top...

this set up will tick over perfectly and will drive like a standard motor because it is really.

and i think a well set up 2.0 16v will give a vr a run for its money all day :-P

i do like the tdi's ma self but the non revviness does my head in :?

A mildly modified 16v is fun without being to rough and ready, but there is a limit. I passed the limit by fitting Schrick 268/276 cams in mine. The lumpy idle which made the car throb like a funny car was great for about a week untill the novelty wore off. To top it all, I couldn't set it up to produce any more power. It goes a hell of alot better with a KR inlet.

I dont believe even a well setup 16v would be able to keep up with a good standard vr6 IMO.

Hey Riley how does the corrado compare to the mk1 to drive? I had a mk1 2 ltr 16v and it was like a bullet, its one of the biggest regrets of my life selling that. Still I should be happy when I get this thing in the garage roadworthy...

Well ive got a pretty good position to be coming from, i had mt rad as a 16v for about a year and a half and i love dthe noise that came from it, drilling a couple of wee holes in th eairbox and putting in a K&N deffo made a difference. Recently ive ditched the valver and im now runnin G power in the same car and i can honestly say its ace, the G60 is a mental, demonic piece of kit and it makes all the right noises. Best thing i did with my valver was put a mk2 golf manifold on it.

Overall corrado's are amazing cars, great to drive, better to look at and the rare factor is ace, stoping at traffic lights and having people scan your car is great, infact one time me and brian(dubster82) were driving up the high street in aberdeen here and two young loons just watched and stared as my car went past and then were even more shocked when brians one went past just behind, probably thinkin "those corrados, like busses man" so yeh im a happy boy, corrados are great

maybe whack in a vr inlet manifold aswell, I am definitley lazy, hence i am a bit of a torque lover, but also a closet fan of vtecs, lol

Hey Riley how does the corrado compare to the mk1 to drive?

the mk1 would have totally blitzed the c to be honest,but it was totally diffarent to drive,with the very stiff avo coilovers,wide wheels etc...

i gave my sportline cab a run today and oh my god is it hard to drive!!

just getting used to this refinedness i suppose :lol:

riley - I must admit that I am missing my Sportline, whilst the winter months are here. But, come summer it will be great to get it out again. I know I'm going to miss the power of the Storm, but just one day of roof down driving will make up for it! The C will keep me going in the adrenalin stake though. When I floor it in third, the roar from the RamAir induction kit and AmD throttle body is like a drug.....

sweet sportline m8 :D 8)

i need to decide weather to keep the cab or the g60,both totally diffarent i know,but im sure you will agree the cabs are good fun!

took me ages to find the right one too :(

I can relate! Black looks great just after a wash and wax, but an hour later it looks dirty again. As much as black looks cool on a sporty car, I'm not sure I'd go for it again!

I can relate too! Mind you when my car's a bit dirty you can't see the chips and scratches!

i had to rush out of work today on an emergency errand so had a good excuse to drive like tomorrow wasnt on the agenda! sheer brilliance my car is the absolute daddy there was a h plate 16v going the other way didint have time to wave going through kempston bedford luckily through my job i know the local plod so can hopefully get away with a touch now and again! the g60 just howled all day! need to fit that oil cooler!

FAO bcstudent:

re: the R1 delivery on 1st March.

I am so jealous! Wrote one of these of last August & insurance is forcing me to Suzuki SV650S this year.

Enjoy, ya lucky fecker, & be careful with the right hand. :twisted:

Thanks for your kind words. It seems that today is going to be the only good day this week so the bike will likely be pre-delivery inspected and delivered today instead of tomorrow. It's unlikely to get much use for a month though - the roads are white with salt here at the moment (and everywhere else no doubt). 180bhp, one small tyre contact patch and slippery roads are not my idea of a laugh!....although my NCB bonus *is* protected....

but with a 2.0 swap theres no real modifications,its just a standard lump,with the kr inlet cam just to bring the peak power up,and the wur mod to stop the mixture leaning out up top...

this set up will tick over perfectly and will drive like a standard motor because it is really.

That's true, I guess complete engine changes are way different to bolt-ons. It doesn't help that the mate in question doesn't really understand what he's bolting on. Shiny does not always equal good. There's no way even a mildly tuned and well set-up 16v would keep with a nail of a VR6 in my opinion......cue someone to tell me I'm wrong....

Was so glad to be getting rid of the money pit, but so so sad to be getting rid of it! Talk about catch 22!! :)

So true. The constant repairs and time when its off the road it makes me crazy, driving it makes up for it every time. =]

I am just looking for my first Corrado and am a little worried by the two comments above, are they really that bad, or is it just the fact that they are old cars now and require a little more looking after?

look here http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= for the sort of things that need changing

it might look like a lot but its no more than any other car of this sort of age, its just the corrado shows things up more than most cars and some parts can be a bit awkward to find or expensive but if your mechanically minded or know a reasonable garage who know their way around vw's (unlike most vw dealer garages :wink: ) you shouldnt have too much trouble

when i was thinking of buying a rado i had'nt even driven one before and was just attracted by the looks and what people had said about them, and the first one i drove was an absolute dog, it felt like the charger had been bypassed and when i put my hand on the charger casing while it was running it felt like it was full of rocks the interior was worn out and pretty much every panel had rust and the cheeky sod described it as a good example in auto trader :mad:

but after shopping around quite a lot i eventually found a reasonably good one with a brand new charger, unfortunately i had to drive to stroud to get it :lol:

but as soon as you drive a well maintained/set up one you should realise what the fuss is about 8)