Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Craigowl's Corrado

About time I put pictures of my "bus" (as an old Yorkshire neighbour of mine calls it) on here.

However, as it is all standard externally, I feel that once you have seen the brochure, you have seen all 250.

The penultimate picture of the series leads to the theme - "Why did I never take a proper picture of it?"

It is one of the 2 pictures I have of the Opel Manta 1.6 Series A we owned from 1972 until 1978 when I sold it (fool!) for £975 - a depreciation of 30% in six years.

The pic was taken in 1972 below Ben Ime. I am in the middle with typical 'tache of the era. My wife on the left was with child and my best friend from school, on the right, has an engineering background. Despite being an engineer, he bought a new Allegro when they first came out and ran it until his wife put her foot through the permanently wet, rotten floor when putting one of the children into the child seat in the back! It ended up in their drive with a clematis growing over it and even through a rust hole in the wing. A guy eventually gave him £10 for it. (The car, not the shrub).

Now he runs second hand Toyotas (Carina then Corolla) and never has any mechanical trouble. I am working on getting him to go for something more exciting next time - like I did when I retired.

STORM 2 said

did you fit the parking sensors yourself?

Well spotted. Forgot about them. 99% standard externally, then?

I got my local garage to fit them - they advertise the service and I was shown a set on a couple of cars they had just done. Not the cheapest set at £250 fitted. Feel happier with them, though - never knew how far to reverse without them. A definite plus, but will I have to spend nearly £1k on a new bumper to bring it back to standard?!

Here are our cars.

Storm bought May 2002 (1 previous owner)

Peugeot 205GLD bought new in 1990.

185k miles and 29 years between them.

Where's that photo of the Manta taken? Looks like a really beautiful place with some good ruins.

Where's that photo of the Manta taken? Looks like a really beautiful place with some good ruins.

A83 road Arrochar to Inveraray in Argyll. The ruins are now even more ruined and have all retired.

Anyway, after replacing water pump, crack pipe, couple of hoses to oil cooler, radiator neck, header tank and new blue cap, G12+ coolant and a brand new (well it was a couple of years ago) VR6 grill badge, I'm feeling in the pink now. :)

Modifications to Storm include

Samco hoses

Gruvenparts alloy crack pipe

G'parts radiator neck

Goodridge SS brake hoses (no pic)

Valeo reversing sensors

Home made replica Storm badge (while original stays indoors)

Headlight protectors

Trickle charge lead

Mudflaps removed this year 8) :lol:

Pic at Forth Bridges

Final pic is Fay Fife a couple of summers ago

just out of interest (nice C btw, the best option you can get imo, a green storm), but what does the crack pipe do?

Hi, 3corsameal.

Crack pipe is called "coolant pipe" in other literature.

Transports coolant from between water pump at left and thermostat housing at right. Has a little tap at bottom left for draining coolant.

The one I got from Gruvenparts, USA (along with about 10 other guys on here) is a high quality one made of alloy to replace the original plastic one which, we have been led to believe, crumbles away, particularly at the drain tap bit.

I found mine to be sound, but have to hold my hand up as being a sucker for, hitec, possibly overdesigned, shiny baubles, particularly when the price is down due £/$ differential!

just out of interest (nice C btw, the best option you can get imo, a green storm), but what does the crack pipe do?

:lol: . I quite liked the idea of you mucking about with crack pipes too, Craigowl.

I remember when I first joined the forum and seeing pics of your Corrado Craigowl, thinking that's the kind of Corrado I'm after.

Everyone thinks their own colour Corrado is the best. Classic Green really is.

Cheers, wiz. :afro: :lol:

Re crack, etc. although I grew up in the 60s, like Jasper Carrott says, most of us would not have known the difference between cannabis and Oxo. :lol:

Goods pictures Craigowl.

It appears you have half of halfords in your garage protecting you car 8)

and the mudflaps get them back on :D

Halfrods? I have some 1970s vintage ars.... aerosols around, too. May put up a pic later.

Mudflaps? Always had them over past 38 years and thought they were functional. However........................now.......

Found a little rust starting on wheel arch edge 'cos of one and then thought, well....I dont go out in the rain and slush in the C :lol: so....ditch them. :shock:

Looks like you scored yourself a minter! I really like the top picture on your first page.

I'm still chuckling from your avatar btw. Kaputt would make a really good plate idea :lol: