Sign in to follow this  
Ford

Original suspension?

Just wondering, can somebody let me know what the original suspension (shocks and springs) is that came with the Corrado VR6. My C came with Koni t/a's when I bought it, but my insurance company charges me an extra £100 to have them on, plus where I live there are too many rediculous speed bumps! So I want a more relaxed ride from my C for now with the original set up, I know it look 4x4 but I think the benefits outweigh the looks...

Also can you let me know how much the springs and shocks cost?

Many thanks

Dr Mat's and Dinkus are your men for this but the OE VR6 spec was Sachs dampers, red at the back, black at the front. VW denote their spring and rubber rates by coloured dots....VR needs to have a green dot IIRC on one of the coils.

Thanks Kev, really usefull info there, just what I needed.

Phat, I currently have less than 1yrs no claims- due to a long period living in London not needing a car and then having a company car - so this insurance company got me the best deal, its just they are really anal about any mods what so ever, they even charge for a non std exhaust. I will keep my current susp in the attic and will stick it back on in better days along with H&R springs. However at this point in time the original susp makes sense, the speedbumps here are a nightmare!

Dinkus/Dr Mat/OE's do you know how much the original set up costs? Thanks

I never got round to doing the front, but I hope you're sitting down...

The shocks are about £30 a pop if your dealer will do you parts club pricing, no idea how much otherwise.

The springs are £50 each tho and yes, they will make your C look like a 4x4. It's slightly better when you've got a full tank of petrol. And a sack of bricks in the boot :lol: but yeah, you get the idea. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Edit: here ya go. This is what it looks like with brand new OE suspension. Admittedly this is with a virtually empty tank and it did settle down a fraction after it was taken, but not a lot...

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/download.php?id=9821

Holly s.......... thanks for breaking the news Dinkus. :shock: those springs!!! Can't believe they are so expensive. I guess I am looking at about the same amount for the front (or poss. more). A lot more than I thought.

Thanks for the pic too, looks 4x4, but bet it is comfy, lots of travel there.

Think I have to consider secondhand, I couldn't part with that much money on those springs - cost more than H&Rs! Other option is to stick with the extra £100 a year on my insurance and upgrade my current springs to H&R springs. Anybody know the difference in ride between H&Rs and OE - I am trying to get a softer ride - these speedbumps are driving me mad.

i've got a set of used OE dampers/springs off a 72K VR6 in good condition for sale :wink:

i'll be in London (Tottenham) on Frid 18th March if your interested...

Currently having my suspension renewed.

Rear: Shocks £30, Springs £47

Front: Shocks £55, Springs £??

Can't remember what i was quoted for the front springsthink its around £50. All prices are for single items.

Havent had the front springs done yet, garage was sent too different poundage springs. I was shocked when i picked the car up, too high, nearly asked for the old ones back.

I had my suspension changed by the local exhaust centre some time back - (yes I know - foolish) - however, the suspension they fitted was fine and the handling problems I had were related to bushes, rack etc. I then had this "standard suspension" changed to a Weitec lowered set-up and have the same problems with speedhumps. Anyway - the upshot, the "standardish" suspension was on the car for about a month. I have it in a box in the shed if anyone is interested?? Also, now thinking about Koni TAs with H&Rs - perhaps we could come to an arrangement???

For shocks the ones they sell in GSF (Boge Turbo or Sachs Advantage) are identical to the standard factory VR items (fronts and rears around £30 each). I didn't change my springs, so I never looked into the pricing of those.