Sign in to follow this  
dnac

200,000 miles on a G60

Hi, I have seen a G60 with 200K on the clock, guy says it runs fine and does not loose oil, but would you guys chance it? If it was cheep enough, and the engine did go, are they readily available, and if so what is a ball park figure to pay for one.

Thanks

Dnac

i dont see it worth it - there are plenty available if you look for them. 3K should get you one around 120K

I want'nt touch it at all !!!

Does'nt matter how good it looks or how cheap it is

( unless you are going to break it )

Depends on how cheap it was and how well serviced it had been.

At the end of the day its a fairly basic 8 valve engine and they go forever, apart from the supercharger.

Whats the general condition of bodywork, brakes, suspension etc?

i cant see the problem here.

The G60 engine like its been said is the ol trusty 8v engine and there great wee things. ask the normal questions but as to see receipts on charger rebuilds, coulld of had a new one even,, it might of had a head rebuild it could have had a good few timing belts etc. make sure it aint smoking, everything has been changed whilst it should and the price reflects the age of the motor i can see ya having much problem to be honest.

Engine is likely to have been rebuilt once already. Mine's only done 95k & I'm currently doing a complete rebuild. Charger is also fcuked - new one on the way.

On the other hand Ian (Henny) had a G60 which had done around 230k before his crank bolt snapped.

Budget for at least some engine work, if you buy the car.. :wink:

200K Woah! My 16v hit 140K today and i thought that was high!

Still, as prev said, it's a strong engine, just be prepared for the worst just in case.

A mate of mine is driving a Mk2 8v on 275K! Had full rebuild and drives fine.

Wouldn't pay much more than a grand though.

The thing is that you can get engine blocks very cheap. I would buy it if everything else has been looked after and replaced. Its about the receipts IMO. Get a spare block and get it rebuilt to 1.9 spec. Think thats what i will do with my spare engine.

I've just got a G60 with 150K after J-DUB got written off... As Steve says, J-DUB had over 230K miles under her belt before the crank bolt sheared off (which, incidentally, can happen at any age, just ask Bananaman! ;) :| ) The 8V engine is a rock and will keep going as long as it's serviced regularly... the same is pretty much true of the supercharger...

Depending on just how cheap this car is, I definately wouldn't rule it out if it's HPI clear and has a good history folder full of receipts with it...

We have numerous Corrados pass though the workshop per year, there is no continuity really with milage vs condition. Some sub 100k cars we see have been neglected and you can write an advisery list as long as your arm, we have had well maiintained cars with 150k plus in which have just needed minor service items as they have been well looked after.

There is a lad on the forum, James Pennels, he brought his car too us with a good 130k on the clock to have the charger rebuilt just after he brought the car, the charger had not been serviced previously but when we stripped it it was the cleanest charger we had seen all year inside and the rest of the car was in exelent repair. The following day I had a charger off a 60k car to service that looked like it had been halfway round the world and back.

The key things is to look how the car has been maintained and driven, low milage is not always assurence of a solid car.

The following day I had a charger off a 60k car to service that looked like it had been halfway round the world and back.

One lap of the world = ~25 thousand miles... quite fresh then! :oP

/smartass

--

Olly

...25k ramping across egyption sands, across the bottom of Indian ocean.. running a few yanks over on the way..

my car was 2450 US and it had 121000 miles on it, since then I have done about 9000 US in repairs. PS I AM IN COLLEGE so this is messing me up.