Sign in to follow this  
dig776

Adjustable Steering Problem

Just wondered if the following has happened to anyone else?

Drove into town yesterday, car drove fine, got into multistorey and was slowly reversing (about 3mph) into a space when the adjustment in the steering went completely loose!!! basically it wouldn't lock at all. Car still steered but felt very unsafe.

Managed to get the steering column cover off and noticed that the metal pin that holds the colum into place had completely popped out. Managed to push it back in and all back to normal now.

Just glad it didn't happen at a lot higher speed on a country lane.

I've had columns with worn pins, which makes the column a bit slack, but I've never seen one go completely.

keep an eye on the pin, it will most likely come loose again. its happened to me a few times and unfortunatly i cant find a decent fix for it yet, so as usual ill be of little help really lol. other ppl here have had the same happen but i havent heard of a permanent solution. andy

mike this is not a fix, youll notice dig has already done what is suggested in dave's thread, and so have i, but it doesnt fix the prob, at least not permanantly. all thats doing is pushing a worn pin back into its place with nothing to hold it there, so as before, within a short space of time the pin will again work itself loose. so if anyone has a permanant fix for this id love to know how... i just dont know what to do with it anymore.!

Can a new pin not be ordered from VW or is it part of the column that can only be bought as a whole £500+VAT lump??!

Perhaps drifting a slightly larger diameter pin in would cure it?

Column is a single assembly, no serviceable sub-components, according to the VW computers. All or nothing. And £537 + VAT.

been trying to find something like that, kev, no luck as yet. problem im having is finding something thats as tough as the old pin in the right size, its a pretty hardened little sod!

I haven't ventured under there yet to familiarise myself with the gubbins but I'm guessing the adjuster ratchet (?) bites into this pin to lock still?

Can the pin not be turned around to there's more meat to bite into, if you see what I mean? And perhaps make up a |______| shape bit of metal to stop the pin sliding out again?

Dunno...just guesswork. I've got some new column covers to fit soon, so I'll suss it out when I do those.

i dont think its the pin that wears as it is hard as hell, i think its chrome steel its the hole where the pin is pressed in and the teeth that seem to wear

Had this on mine, the pin had popped out. Tapped it back in and it's ok now and there wasn't any sign of wear.

Thanks to all for advice.

To date everything is ok on the pin front but I have been checking regularly as it is so potentially dangerous. I wonder if it could have occurred because when I get out of my c I pull myself up using the steering wheel (seat is in lowest position).

Will give the superglue suggestion a go and stop putting weight onto the steering column. Especially after finding out the cost of a replacement :shock: .

Had this happen to me this afternoon, doing 80 mph down some windy twisty roads and all of a sudden the steering column is floating around in my hands... V.SCARY!!! Anyways managed to drive back home, took the steering column off and the pin had come out, it showed no signs of wear at all so I tapped it back in and it seems to fit perfectly and I cannot force it back out so I think that is it back in there for good. If it comes out again I will machine it a bit at the end and fit a circlip in there to keep it in there