Sign in to follow this  
godskitchen

"Q" plates?

When I was younger I always remember “Q” plates, now correct me if im wrong but where these no for writeoffs and imports? Fell free to correct me if im wrong!

All I want to know is what happened to them? Is it a case of now that the cars in question just get a normal plate?

I don’t really have any need to know this but it will bug me if I don’t!

I always thought that they were reserved for cars whose age or history couldn't be accurately determined - stolen/recovered, kit cars, imports and such, all fall into that category...

yup, it was (and still is, I believe) used for Kit cars as well, where under 75% of the car isn't new and over 60% isn't from a single vehicle...

G60Dan, that's 'cos it's still got all of the identification marks on the chassis.... 8)

They were Q plated when the chassis numbers and identification marks were removed before the car was recovered, but not if it was recovered intact after the insurance has payed out like with your car... 8)

Aye, you only get a Q plate if the car's history cannot be determined.

Scruffythefirst is an expert on this, as he's building a kit car and has to prove various bits came from this, that and the other.

Why do you ask?

yeah mine has all the chassis number etc on her still (interior & wheels were stolen at the time). Though history only goes up to 2000. Still, she's had the best part of 8 or 9k spent on her since then!

Well they have become more rare, as you can now register kit cars with age-related plates as long as you can 'prove' that there was a single car used as a donor. Whether that car then had a miraculous engine transplant and all new parts fitted just before it was stripped is a different matter ;)

(you might always have been able to do this, but it's certainly more common now than it used to be, so less kits have Q plates).

To get a new plate on any car all the parts have to be new, except one which may be reconditioned.

To get an age related plate, 3 items from a selection on major parts have to be from the same vehicle. These include axels, steering, engine, gearbox etc.

A Q plate is required when you register a vehicle that has lost its original identity or is made from a selection on bits of unknown origin. Difficult to get to that stage these days - lots of rally cars / race cars end up on Q plates after loosing thier ID etc for tax purposes etc. Kit cars shouldnt end up on a Q plate much any more cos its easy to get an age related plate these days (hence why I own a sierra I've never seen). However, Q plates have some advantages around MOT time

Cat C and D write offs (IIRC) should keep their original Id, but now have to pass an inspection before they're allowed on the road.

Q plate cars are assumed to be first registered in 1971 for MOT tests, so they have the least emission standards to meet! ;)