Sign in to follow this  
rayb74

wiring stereo spoiler?

Hi all ,

I got a 2.0 16v (93)

when removing the radio cass to wire up my new one there was a couple of dodgy splices on the old stereo. Now I have wired it up correctly the Rear spoiler does not activate at speed anymore. It still works at the switch under dash.All fuses ok.

I think that the corrado radio cass were speed sensitive which I suspect also sends signal to rear spoiler.

After wiring up my new stereo I am left with a sort of yellow/red wire on the stereo loom and a black wire that goes behind the dash !

Could anyone help/ advise please or has the previous owner botched it up ?

Yup, some of the standard head units were speed sensitive and it sounds like you've cooked the speed sensor by connecting it to the live feed (even if just briefly).

It's quite easy to do and it's happened to quite a few people, so have a search and I'm sure you'll find out what needs to be done to sort it out...

if i remember right,its the blue/white wire? that you shouldnt connect to anything.

and the black wire is for the amplified aerial,i think! :?:

neil.

I'm going to try to tackle this problem on my day off this Friday! Are these wires behind the fuse box or behind the stereo? My car is a '91 G60 so would this have had the speed sensitive attenuator thingy? The spoiler did work when I fitted my Alpine h/u just after I bought the car. However, when I took it in to have the rest of the ICE fitted it stopped working. I was assured by the (reputable) fitters that they wouldn't have spliced into a random wire for the remote. Where should I look first as my patience tends to wear thin with electrical gremlins!

All Corrados have the speed sensor because it's the same unit that controls the spoiler.

It only takes a slight short to toast the speed sensor, so it could be that they cooked it while installing your ICE and it's actually wired up correctly now.

I'm sure Henny can tell you how to find and check the speed sensor and/or a short to it... :)

dinkus, I've never fried one, so I've never had to fix one yet (thankfully!) 8)

The Blue/white wire lives behind the head unit... you may not have fried the control unit if it's been wired in, so it's best to check the wire is connected and disconnect it to see if that helps before worrying about how to fix the controller... ;)

Right, so the blue/white one should just be hanging and not connected when an aftermarket h/u is fitted?

yep,shouldnt be connected to anything.

neil. :D

Unless you have an aftermarket stereo that can accept a speed sensor input to control the volume - oh how i wish i had one! - but i don't think they're that commom...

OK guys especially Dinkus you might find this interesting:

Me being a cabbage had wired the Blue/White wire with the Permanent live. Instead of the Red/Brown which is the ignition live .It has been like this for about 2 weeks!!!

(They both have the same characteristics when I checked with the volt meter when I wired it up) so it is easy to mistake the two for each other.

I cut the Blue/White wire and capped it. I also connected up the Black wire to the power aerial connect on my H/Unit.

Upon driving home my spoiler worked PERFECTLY going up and down at the right speeds AND my radio picks up every station it should !

So if you do accidently wire it up wrong it may or should still work after you correct it.

After fitting my stereo 4mnths ago the spoiler still works fine manually, but not automaticaly anymore?????

RAYB47- this was the only way to get the stereo/sub working properly. i was asking similar to your question. So has anyone got the same set up as me? does mine sound like its doing any damage?

mines decided to go more insane than it was today.

works fine on switch,but when above 45ish mph its sort of half way up while continously moving up and down real fast.

and then after watching the silly bastard,parked up and all the water poured out :mad:

whos not going where they should be tommorow :mad:

sorry! neil.

Yea i am havin the same trouble, so i will check and disconnect the blue/white wire if that is currently being connected to my head unit!!..

I hate wiring!

I had a look at mine yesterday. I removed the h/u first and there isn't a blue/white wire in the VAG bit of the loom. There is on the Alpine/Autoleads adaptor ISO but not in the original bit.

Then I looked at the fuse box. There are 3 blue/white wires plugged into a little "module" on top of the fuse box which were present and correct which I am led to believe are part of the spoiler. There were also some random different coloured wires with plugs that weren't attached to anything. I assume these were for optional extras that weren't fitted or due to differences in G60 specs between countries? I'm unwilling to start snipping wires as I have no idea what anything does!

I think I need to take it to a car electrician. What next?