Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Which Alarm?

Yep, some small silver ones!

Cheers, contacted autowatch uk, will see if they can send me some.

I think Toad also comes with a lifetime warranty, which is worth a bob of two in my opinion. I bought an Ai606 with a tilt and shock sensor added, can't remember the exact cost now, but it was quite a good deal.

My 2 cents.

I'd heard good things about Autowatch as well.

Does anyone have experience of Laserline alarms?

The guy that did my Toad alarm runs his own business, he's got a Laserline on his own car and recommended them over the Toad, but me being a brand snob went for the Toad.

Avoid Clifford - to many gagets and it all goes wrong! Had a top dogs Clifford system fitted to my Saxo (i was young you know!) and it kept going off for no reason - turned out the welds inside the box of tricks were faulty and bits had just bloody come loose - total crap. Clifford = dodgy Christmas tree lights that never work!

The alarm was removed under warranty and had a standard cat 1 toad fitted - no problems there. Avoid all micro wave based alarms - they triggered far to easily

When i got my C i went to CATS FOR CARS in FARNHAM SURREY and had a Laserline fitted. Now i don't know whether it was the installer or the alarm system but basically the imobiliser kept cutting in whilst driving along. This caused petrol leaks, destroyed the G40 sensor oh and they broke the heater controls. Their after sale service is the worst! I cannot stress that enough

AVOID 'CATS FOR CARS' IN FARNHAM SURREY

They could not fix the problem and i basically didin't want them to touch my car again.

I then opted for a local one man band who fitted a Cobra system - have had no probs with after two years! so i recommend Cobra

The one man band is now mobile around Surrey and Hampshire - Richard trading as AUTOELECTRICK - 07841163760

Anyone know of good alarm fitters in Nottingham area (other than sextons on the BBC round-about)???

Sextons totally fecked up the installation of deadlocking in my golf.

They even insisted that the malfunction was actually how the system operated.

I had to remove their botched up install, show it to the manufacturers (Sempal) and refit replacement units before Sextons would admit they'd cocked it up. Eventually got the installation charges re-imbursed.

I've heard good things about London car radio and Midland-Magneto (proper vehicle electrical engineers)...... though it has been a couple of years..... !

I think a more appropriate question would be 'which alarm installer?' not 'which alarm?' since most alarms which malfunction are due to the quality of the install, as many people have said before! A well fitted Clifford unit is a good alarm although contains many often unnecessary features which bumps up the cost.

Yep, Phoned Sextons yesterday and they didn't seem to care, they have been pretty rude to me before when I needed a new remote keyfob, so will be giving them a miss. London car radio is only just down the road so I'll pop in there first.

aside: was getting the car out of the garage last night to go and look at a house. The g-friend said that my brake lights weren't work. I was a bit annoyed. Was the brake light failure related to the alarm failure, which caused which? Didn't really fancy driving around with no brake lights, but there was no choice I had to go. Later on when we getting back into the car I asked her to put her foot on the brake pedal so I could see for myslef that both lights weren't working. That is when she said "brakes lights! brake lights? Sorry I meant to say reversing lights"

Well thats not as dangerous, and it turns out I was just not pushing the gear level far enough to engage the lights. problems solved. Make up your own women and technology jokes

anyone else on here got any expierience with laserline alarms cos the only place i can find near me only sells them but im a bit hesitant only cos i havnt heard of them before???.

ps sorry to jump in mate.

I have a Laserline 998 on mine and I've had no problems.

It's been set to activate the car's built-in total closure, which is nice.

Nice and simple alarm and Thatcham Category 1 to keep the insurance happy.

anyone else on here got any expierience with laserline alarms cos the only place i can find near me only sells them but im a bit hesitant only cos i havnt heard of them before???.

Halfords sell Laserline.

Gavin

Halfords sell Laserline.

Gavin

i've got a laserline,which has been fitted to the car for about 3 years and theres been no problems

its a total closure cat 1

nice one guys i'll be more relaxed instaling one then. There saying 250 euros so its not a bad price really.

Just fitted a Laerline 291. I think it is pretty much the same as the 998. Had no problems so far except the total closure using the alarm doesn't work. But from what I have read on here that is because the locking pluse hasn't been set to come on for long enough, that should be sorted by the end of the week.