Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

fun with autotrader scammers!

My cars in the trader at the moment and I've been flooded by those stupid scam emails...so i replied to one. I've seen this done before to better effect but it still amused me.

Return-Path:

Delivery-Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:10:44 +0100

HELLO

AM WOOD LIKE TO BUY YOUR [CAR] PLS GET BACK TO ME IF YOU ACPPT CASHIER CHECK OR BANK DRAFT, ASLO SEND ME THE PIX AND TELL ME THE CONDITION AND PRICE AS WELL BCOS I NEED IT URGENTLY .

THANK YOU .

Chris Hill wrote:

hello,

the car is £20,000 and is in terrible condition, it needs a whole new

waffle-mounting and a rear actuator port. is this ok? let me know and

we can discuss further.

HI

THANK YOU FOR THE MAIIL WELL SENT ,I COULD HAVE LOVED TO CALL YOU BUT MY PHONE IS BAD AS AT NOW SO I SOON AS I GET IT FIX I WILL PERSONALLLY GIVE YOU A CALL BUT IN THE MAIN TIME YOU CAN CALL MY PERSONAL ASSTANCE ON THESE NUMBER +447040111933 HE WILL GIVE YOU ANY INFORMATION YOU WANT AND FOR ME TO SEND YOU THE PAYMENT WILL NEED YOUR FULL DETAILS AS FOLLWS

FULL NAME....

ADDS.

ZIPCOD..

PHONE NUMBER..

MOBILE..

AND AM THE ONE TO SEND THE MONEY TO YOU FROM THE CONTRACT I JUST DONE SO I WANT YOU TO SEND THESE DETAIL ONTIME SO THEY COME WRITE OUT THE PAYMENT IN YOUE NAME[THE COMPANY ] AND ONE MRE THE PAYMENT WILL BE MORE THAN THE AMONUT OF YOUR CAR SO AFTER YOU TAKE YOUR PART YOU WILL PLS HELP TO SEND THE BALANCE TO MY PERSONAL ASSTANCE WHICH I GIVE YOU HIS NUMBER VIA WESTANCE UNION MONEY TRANSFER AND HE WILL COME FOR THE PICK UP AND ALSO SIGN FOR THE PAPERS AND DOCUMENT .

I've just sent this reply...

Hi wood blair!

I'm very happy you're interested in my car, however I fell I must tell you the truth. Last wednesday while attending a local birdwatching convension my car was set alight by an angry chaffinch. The whole rear quarter flange edge is burned to a crisp and the flux capacitor needs serious attention. I have also recently discoved an otter living in the fueltank. Obviously this increases the value of the car somewhat and I would like an additional £30,000 for the livestock.

many thanks.

Chris.

I had two of those spams in one day yesterday, and have had about a total of 6 since I stuck it in the trader.

Pretty bloody annoying quite frankly.. thought about replying to them for a bit of a wind up but.. pfft :)

I dont get how this scam works.

Ive heard they send you money and you have to pay someone else to get it shipped. Their cheque bounces and your left out of pocket and out of a car. But why cant you just wait until their money has cleared in your account before parting with your dosh and wheels. Seems a bit strange that people fall for this one.

Well yeah, but the banks can recall the funds at any time for the following YEAR, pretty much. So your bank may accept the cheque, and the funds appear in your account, but the money will be pulled back a few weeks later (particularly if it's a cheque from overseas).

The main reason people fall for this scam is because they're greedy.

That's rediculous, so I could just call my bank and recall every cheque I've written out for the past 12 months.

Gav, i'm getting that 50 quid back for the headlamp loom! :D

i had load of these people last year when i selling my C. This one guy he said he is from Italy i told him to come over and pic it up in person and i will pay for the flight, i never heard from him since...

hes a bit keen...

you mean i will use the sum of 30,000 pounds to reply or what cos i dont understand your statament clearly,so i want you to get back assp

my reply...

Yes Blair Wood, thats correct, it will cost you 30,000 pounds to reply.

That's rediculous, so I could just call my bank and recall every cheque I've written out for the past 12 months.

Gav, i'm getting that 50 quid back for the headlamp loom! :D

Dude, that 50 is well spent and I have closed the account and moved to outer mongolia anyway. You'd have 2 hopes of getting it back and as you know, Bob is dead. :lol:

Gavin

the flux capacitor needs serious attention

That has to be my fav part! Ahh the good old flux capacitor - thought up whilst the crazy doc was on the toilet as well! GREAT SCOTT! :D :D :D

aparently it is a money laundering scam in some cases using government money from 3rd world countries a way fot dodgy officials to clean up their ill gotten gains.

Usually this is just a way of turning stolen bankers drafts into real punter's money, oh and to steal a car, too..

That's why they give you a banker's draft for MORE than the cost of the car, then get you to pay them the difference from your own account, AND hand over your car.

I've never heard of anyone getting actual money from these stolen drafts.

And no, you can't ring the bank and cancel cheques months after, but if your account is suspended for some reason, the cheques you've written in the last six months can be pulled back by YOUR bank in an effort to reclaim their money, if they think you've not got the funds to cover them.

Oh Chris I just loved your replies. Haven't had such a good laugh since Granny caught her t........... :lol:

Chris, Better watch he doesn't pass your e-mail address to the junkmailer sites, he could have the last laugh on this one!