briggy

Fuse 21 keeps blowing

Hi,

A couple of months ago, I tried to charge my mobile phone in the car. I got a nice crackling noise and the sunroof & internal light stopped working. This was tracked down to fuse 21 - but not by me. This was replaced and the sunroof and lights worked fine. I didn't try the mobile again. I recently got a different phone with a different charger and the same thing has happened again. This time, as soon as I put the fuse in, it blows instantly. No, the phone isn't still connected!

Since the first episode, I've had a Cobra alarm / immob fitted. Now that the fuse has blown, I can't lock the car, otherwise my alarm beeps for a few seconds, then sounds fully (i.e goes off - or on, depending on your point of view!)

First of all, is 15A the correct fuse?

Secondly, why is it that the fuse blows even when nothing is being used? I guess it related to the new alarm, but that then poses the question of why did it not blow before I plugged the phone in?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Bryan

Yip, disconnecting the lighter socket has worked. Replacing it is one of those jobs that'll be done "eventually".

Cheers,

Bryan

Revival as I'm having this problem and was hoping someone in the know could shed some light before I remove my clocks. Please forgive the fact that I am totally crap at electrical stuff

A month or so back, Fuse 21 randomly blew. Every time I put in a new one it would blow instantly with sparks at the fuse board :eek: I first disconnected the glovebox light, the fuse then goes in without a fuss, but does eventually blow a couple of minutes later. If I connect the glovebox light back, sparking re-occurs.

Anyone know what the problem could be? As it blows both connected and d/c, just with or without sparks. What would cause the sparks? I have disconnected the cigarette lighter which made no difference. I'm guessing I can also try disconnecting everything else related to Fuse 21 (Clocks, Interior light, Visor light, Boot light), but it worries me that the glovebox light is causing sparking and I really hope I don't have to remove the b*stard thing to investigate!

Cheers

The sparking is because it's drawing a high current so something in the glove box area must be shorting back to ground. Have a look behind the radio cage area, a few exposed sharp corners for stuff to rub on.

This is one of the jobs you will just need to trace wires back with.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I just spent an eternity getting the head unit in, so last thing I want to do is remove it all! (cramped back there) so I guess I will begrudgingly remove the glovebox and try and trace it from there. I remember the glovebox being a right PITA to remove last time, I think I used a claw hammer to get the fecker out! Now it's trimmed in leather I'll have to be gentle... got any lube? :camp:

I solved the glovebox problem on mine by getting the dremel out and removing the raised plastic moldings that run across it. These are what catch on the dash when you try to remove it. Makes future life so much easier!

I solved the glovebox problem on mine by getting the dremel out and removing the raised plastic moldings that run across it. These are what catch on the dash when you try to remove it. Makes future life so much easier!

Aye, that's a good idea! Still have to remove it one last time though :rambo: