Sign in to follow this  
boab

Advice on stripping engine

Seeing as ive had no interest in my car ive decided that i may try get new engine for it. If i do so, the engine that comes out il be looking to strip and start learning about them. So any advice on tools, equipment, or where i can get detailed manual etc on it. Surely it cant be that hard, or is it??

Just buy a decent socket set, screwdrivers etc. Its not that hard I learnt by taking things apart myself and its kinda common sense really...

is it easy to spot faults etc? im not to fussed if i take it to bits and cant get it back together

What engine have you got? Taking one out isn't hard at all reall, the general tools you'll need is a good socket set, splne/allen set ( for inner cv joint-driveshaft flanges, stubby ratchet and 15mm deep socket (for exhaust manifold-downpipe joint) Engine crane is very usesfull but if your only going to do the job once or twice then borrow a mates one or hire one ( they're about £30 a day from a hire centre) Taking the front end off the car makes the job alot easier and doesn't take long to take off, theres 8x 10mm bolts that hold the slam panel on and 4 bumper bolts.

Hope this helps

As far as the engine goes, I've heard that the Haynes manual for the mk 2 Golf Gti covers all you need to know about the KR engine.

Good luck!

Tom

what exaclt wrong with the car mate, do you know that it is a engine fault for definite, as it maybe an electrical fault therefore changing the engine won't solve it. I find that the best is way is hands on, obviously this can't apply on everything, i've rebuilt complete heads and want to do a fully rebuilt 2.0l 16v for my car, with all the experience of all the members on this forum i'm sure if you get stuck at any point someone will be able to advise what to do.

yup, 1.8 16V KR engine is covered in full by the MKII golf Haynes manual.... that's how I rebuilt my first watercooled engine too! 8) :lol:

im not sure 100% it is engine fault bobby but im pretty sure it is, it just wont tick over, it waqnts to start but it just isnt gettin there. all i know is theyre was oil in one of the bits that the spark plug goes into, so il take it is, but as i said i aint got a clue!!

does the engine turn over but won't fire up, or does it start then die of? could be blown head gasket but would have to be bad to not even start, could be starter motor related, i'd start by checking that there is a spark to each ht lead and fuel coming coming through each injector, and then go from there.

it turns over but wont fire up, how do i check for spark to each ht lead? and fuel? i know its not starter motor because i had that renewed not that long ago, also i tried bumping it, and that also had same effect as turning key! it tries to start but just doenst catch on if you know what i mean, nice puff off smoke out exhaust usually

bob1888cfc, pull off a spark plug lead, connect a new plug to the lead and rest the nut shaped bit of the plug on the inlet manifold (the bunch of bananas!) Turn the key and crank the engine over while someone watches the spark plug. If it sparks then you're ignition system is at least working OK.

With the mention of the occasional puff of smoke, I'd say you ARE getting a spark, and probably fuel too, but I reckon that your timing is out. Have you no way of getting this car to a garage to get it checked over? It'd be a whole hell of a lot easier (and probably cheaper!) to get it diagnosed by a garage to find out what's wrong with it rather than forking out for a new engine and fitting just to find out it's something silly like a dodgy fuel pump! :lol:

Good luck! 8)

cheers for advice, ive managed fot someone to get the car down to a garage so il find out later today hopefully