Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Audi Coupe

Hi,, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the audi coupe (not tt!), they look pretty cool and seem to be pretty cheap for what they are but ive never been in one! they seem to do a good range of engines and interior spec...anyone got any picies ?

i bought a 1983 gt5 coupe! 4wd, 5cyl turbo, it was quick, hideous interior though.

mine wasnt and still isnt the best example, having done about 200k scratches dents and holes all over it, and was purchased for the princely sum on £15

The S2 is a very good machine but all the Quattro drivetrain ones can get expensive if they go wrong.... I think Yash has a Coupe and might be able to offer some more extensive advice.

i think the one im on about came out and died off around the same time as rado's did--the early nineties one.

IIRC the best engine of that model is the 2.0 16V - but the 5cyl 2.2 is supposed to be ok as well. I'd avoid the 2.3 Quattro like the proverbial plague, reckon it'd be hassle...

Thought about one of these myself as they've aged really well and look great on a big set of wheels! 8)

yeah....they seem to have a few bits and pieces that are used in our dearly beloved's...the guy in my local gsf has just bought a 94 2.0 8v...according to him its got exactly the same engine as i have! i think they have extra temp and voltage dials as standard too!

Yep know the one, only worth it if you get a decent sized engine, they are pretty heavy beasts. S2 sounds like the way to go or at least a V6. If you are looking for decent residuals then the convertible is the way to go, they hold their value really well. Handling of the Audi coupe is not a scratch on the corrado though.

Thought about one of these recently but it would have to be the S2 just for the lovely 5cyl noise. Nice red one on ebay right now.

A black S2 with TT competition wheels would look stunning.

A German mate of mine, has an Audi Coupe 2.3 5 cylinder, not the TQ, sporting 136 PS (=bhp give or take).

He had the same reservations about its handling, having come from a Rado (which he still has), i.e. that its handling would be crap, but was pleasantly surprised. Although by comparison to his Rado it feels a bit like a boat at times, it does tackle high speed cornering quite well. In approx. 3 weeks I will be able to confirm that, as I'll be going over to visit him.

Things that tend to go wrong (as my business colleague also has an Audi, albeit the meatier S4 estate, vroooommm :-) ): Clutch cylinder, gearbox (my German mate's has started to whine), windscreen wiper motor, power steering pump, door handles/locks (now that sounds familiar, doesn't it?). In all, the Audi seems a lot better built than our Rados, no rattle sounds inside, the sunroof opens quietly :shock:

coupevr.jpg

Note the S2-subtleties, although it's not a real S2, folks :lol:

Tempest

My brother has a 1990 2.0l and it's been great. He has owned it for about 8 years. Nice motorway driving. He is selling it next month as his mrs has just passed her test and won't drive it!!

Let me know if your interested.

Darren

TBH mate i was just enquiring out of interest,, i'm too unhealthily obsessed with my raddo to even think about buying a different car! thanks for the offer though...it sounds like a goodun!

I saw a Black 100 Quattro that looked really nice to me in the lidls car park yesterday,quite good as you could tell they cared for it,as it was stashed parked in two car park spaces just like her indoors one was

The woman turned her nose up at it,saying its an old car *lol*

women cant live with them or without them..... :scratch: :norty:

Don't really know much about the S2 and they do seem to be fairly rare, but as they are heavier than a Corrado VR6, performance wise, would they be on a par with a standard VR?

Don't really know much about the S2 and they do seem to be fairly rare, but as they are heavier than a Corrado VR6, performance wise, would they be on a par with a standard VR?

IIRC they were under 6 secs to 60 :shock: :shock: so methinks C VR6's would be trailing a bit

I had a 1992 2.3E in Red with Speedline alloys.

On the Plus side it was beautifully made, nothing went wrong with it I did 60K miles in it, the tyres never seemed to wear out and got a helluva load of attention.

On the negative side it handled abominably, felt really heavy, brakes were somewhat adequate, the design of the tailgate meant it filled the boot with water in the rain, the rain gutters dont work so you cant open the windows even slightly in the rain and didnt like to Rev.

I loved it for the wrong reasons, looks and so on, wasnt a drivers car at all. :-P

My brother has an audi s2 and i can tell you there the ones to have.

Look on the autotrader website and you can pick up an early 5 speed one for around 3000 or you can go for a late 6 speed one for around 5 grand.

Plus being a turbo a simple re-map will give you around 280bhp.

Heres a picture of my brothers coupe.

mmmmm that does look nice (apart form the stickers IMO) cheers for the pic...i think if you like the corrado...ur gonna like the audi coupe !...still wouldnt swap though!

Other half has got a '96 2.6 Cabrio - lovely comfy car, built like a tank and relaxing to drive - doesn't like corners though - makes a nice change to driving the Rado

mmmmm that does look nice (apart form the stickers IMO) cheers for the pic...i think if you like the corrado...ur gonna like the audi coupe !...still wouldnt swap though!

The stickers are oe and i think he's taken them off since that picture was taken because he's not too fond of them himself.

The corrado is definitely better looking then the s2 IMO but its hard to get the power down, especially in the rain and with this s2 running 318bhp at the wheels, 4wd is the way to go. :D

Mmmm the S2's are great. And they're rear wheel drive, so proper chest-wig-hedge-trimmer material too :D

Mmmm the S2's are great. And they're rear wheel drive, so proper chest-wig-hedge-trimmer material too :D

The s2 is four wheel drive :D