Sign in to follow this  
Jonester

Wheels - How do I work out the correct pressure?

My corrado has 215 35 18 Nakangs. I'm just not sure how to work out what the correct tyre pressure.

Is there a formula I can use to work this out or does anyone actually know what the correct pressure is for these tyres? Any help would be fantastic. Cheers.

Jonester, Use the standard tyre pressures. These vary depending on what engine you have.

In my G60 I use 205/40WR17's with 42psi front & 36psi rear... :shock:

Handles very well with even tyre wear.

PSI is just that - lbs (pounds) per SQUARE inch.

It is an average across the whole tyre - whether it contains 1 litre of cubic capacity or 100 litres.

It doesn't matter on the size, shape, depth, width - you should still run the same PSI as spec.

Put it this way - what's heavier?

- a tonne of bricks

- a tonne of feathers

Jesus... 42PSI Steve? I guess I need to try that!

Because I wasn't sure what to put in, i've been running 36PSI at the front and 34PSI at the rear as 'safe' numbers!

It's to do with the position of the engine over the front axle - G60's have the highest recomended tyre pressures of all of the Corrados - sticker should be either inside the fuel flap or door post from memory.

i run 31psi and handling is perfect and i get even tyre wear :oops: also and cant complain at all, anything more than 33psi i feel the car is way too solid like driving with bricks not tyres

205/40/017 also

2 pence worth there

I ran 32 psi on my 17s, which is plenty. Don't forget the pressure in the tyre increases by 4psi when they warm up through friction. I have verified this with a mega accurate pressure guage.

So Steve's 42psi is actually 46 psi on the move, which is borderline what the tyres can take as a maxiumum.

The quoted pressures on the B pillar sticker relate to the factory fitted 15" tyres. Larger tyres don't need as much pressure to keep the sidewalls inflated optimally. Over pressurise them and you'll wear the middles down.

just thought id throw this link in here. 8)

plenty good tyre sizing info,with a few good size/speedo calculaters.

i used to have the mk1 going round corners like it was rwd/4 wheel drive :shock:

8x14 195/45/14's on front with 28 psi.

9x14 255/35/14's on rear with 32 psi. with rear stripped out!

muchos 4 wheel drifting in the wet! and dry! :lol:

on the c i use 195/45/16,slight stretch,30psi and its crap! im seriously going off stretched tyres :roll:

steve,is the g60 not a bit light on the front end in the wet?

neil.

You decide, within reason.

Im using 36(f) 29(b)

The front is higher due to weight of engine. But try tweaking them by a single pound a time. Temperature will cause more changes. Do your tyres come up to temperature when driven briskly?

Higher front pressure should make for lighter, quicker steering.

i`m running 36 f, 32 r on standard 15`s and it feels better then the standard (16v) pressures quoted 38f, 33r

dunno about 18`s though

after a shed load of experimentation, I run 36 front and 31 rear on my G60 with 205,45,16 Yoko A539s on 7.5J wheels.

Nice even wear, no skittering in the wet (well, as little as you can get in a G60 with lead feet! ;) :twisted: :lol: ) and corners nicely too...

Naa - handles really well, Eagle F1 tyres may have something to do with that though - great grip.

VW recommended pressure for G60's is 2.6-2.8bar front & 2.3-2.5bar rear.... :shock:

Naa - handles really well, Eagle F1 tyres may have something to do with that though - great grip.

VW recommended pressure for G60's is 2.6-2.8bar front & 2.3-2.5bar rear.... :shock:

fair do's steve 8)

what are the above figures in psi? :oops:

neil.

Muchos gracias to all who took the time to reply.

I'm running her with 36 front and 32 rear and the difference is amazing. Was on 29 front and back. Thanks again lads!

Really, the only difference you should make from the standard pressures when changing tyre size is if you change the *width* or the rolling radius drastically. A wider tyre places less load per square inch on it's tread, so requires slightly less pressure.

A tyre with larger rolling radius also places slightly less load per square inch on it's tread because the contact patch is slightly bigger, but this is really a miniscule effect and unlikely to make much difference. Certainly not as much as the contact patch changes by adding a few PSI in the first place!