Sign in to follow this  
andy

Midbass....

Just upgraded the speakers in my C to Focal Access 130 (thats the 5.25in ones) components driven by an Alpine 2 channel amp. Running a ported sub box in the boot as well. The sound is acceptable when the car is stationary really lacks any punch once the car is at speed and has all the associated road/wind noise etc. The treble is very present from the components and the sub has no problem but I'm really struggling in between. Is this to be expected from these components, ie should I have gone for the bigger 6.5 inch ones? What can I do to improve /fill the gap? Any experience/advice appreciated.

Just upgraded the speakers in my C to Focal Access 130 (thats the 5.25in ones) components driven by an Alpine 2 channel amp. Running a ported sub box in the boot as well. The sound is acceptable when the car is stationary really lacks any punch once the car is at speed and has all the associated road/wind noise etc. The treble is very present from the components and the sub has no problem but I'm really struggling in between. Is this to be expected from these components, ie should I have gone for the bigger 6.5 inch ones? What can I do to improve /fill the gap? Any experience/advice appreciated.

Completely dynamatt the doors, that will give you a big improvement. Maybe later consider audioscape pods and a 6 or 6.5 midbass.

I haven't got any dynamat in there at the moment, will that reduce road noise significantly? To be honest I can't work out if the speakers aren't up to the job or whether the general noise is drowning out what would otherwise sound ok.

I just did the same, except using a vibe 2x100 amp and infinity kappa 5.25 inch speaks. I have to say thin mine is great, with the exception that the tweeters are too in- my-face. What are the cut off frequencies of the low pass filter for the sub, and the high pass filter for the components?

Is there a gap?

The amp for the components is set in highpass mode, which is 80Hz and above. Have tried it in all pass but doesn't sound very different. The lowpass on the sub is set at 160Hz. Running Toyo Proxe T1-R tyres at the mo. To be honest its more general noise than wind noise, the cars on standard exhaust and induction too. I never really found it noisy until I put this new system in and I realise that I can't hear what I think I should be able to!

i had a play with the graphic equaliser in the head unit, which i dont normally do....and if I am super critical mine is also a little lacking in the 400Hz band, however this is only on some CDs - for example bleach by nirvana. If however i play something a bit more recent, like idiot america then its fine.

In all cases, i cant help thinking i wish i could turn down the volume on the tweeters.

Bleach was recorded for $600 in just a couple of days so it doesnt sound (quality) as good as an album that a record company puts loads of money behind like GD.

Still both good albums 8)

Midbass is difficult to get right. Even I struggle with that and my car is mega dynamatted, including both door skins and door cards.

I leave the sub on flat and the fronts cutoff at 31.5Hz with a 6db slope.

I've cut 250, 1K and 4K frequencies (as they spiked when measured with an real time analyser) and boosted 50hz. The sound seems nice now but you will always lose midbass output on the move, no matter what car unless it's a Maybach.

Try notching the tweeters down, I believe you can do that on the Focal crossovers?

Another way to improve midbass is to run the mids out of phase and also try the sub on 180 degrees.

My door mirrors actually vibrate from the 6" Kickers, and i haven't connected the 15" sub yet. No rattles tho :D Dynamatt rules..

i havent got any dynamat in... i was going for a budget stereo install....

got 2 vibe vp amps, a vibe 10 inch sub in a bandpass box, infinity compo's and a set of mb quart 6x4's for the rear.... cost £160!

... and dont plan spending another penny!

the head is a jvc kdsh909r

I've got my rears disconnected at the moment, I would rather keep it that way for purity but think I'm losing out from just running the 5.25 inch components. Might try connecting the 6*4s and see if that fills it out a bit.

i havent got the 6x4's in at the moment, but dont think that they will affect the 400hz range enought to make the difference

I run 5.25 components in sdt locations with 2 rolls of Dynamat Extreme in each door and 8inch DEi mid bass drivers on the rear (stealth) shelf. They are all run off one 2 channel amp as the DEi's crossovers feed the components as well. Mid bass can't be that well caterted for by components as the cones are so small, no matter how much sound deadening you have!

Pics of the midbass drivers are on my dubforce links