tonytiger

Front Wiper Linkage Problem

Just a small thread resurrection, does any one know the part number for the clip that keeps the linkage arm in place on the wiper motor, one end has popped out and no sign off the clip and I can't find any reference to the part of its part number in any diagrams.

Mine did the same recently, I don't think there is a clip, its a ball and socket so new arm needed due to wear of the nylon socket?

https://vwheritage.mobi/GB/productDetails.cfm?iItemID=172308267

Edited by Dox

I did wonder, I have found some repair clips on eBay so will see how they work, only cost a few quid so no real loss if they don't do the job.

There's a short linkage that stops both wipers when it pops off, then there's a long linkage that joins the two wiper arms together.

You can lever off the other end of the short linkage without removing the wiper assy from the car, press the new linkage on using a G clamp and a suitable sized socket to clear the ball joint whilst pushing the new linkage home.

A 2 minute job.

Thanks for the advice. The short linkage doesn't seem to able to manoeuvre to match up with the joint on the wiper. I haven't tried to force it because I wasn't sure if it was right. Is there any trick to getting them to match up?

Turn the wipers off with the ignition on.

Ignition off and keys in your pocket (the wiper rack is a little guillotine that can mangle fingers!)

The wiper motor and rack should now be in alignment ready to pop the linkage back on

You're right, they were lined up, I couldn't see it before because when the wipers are down it's under the scuttle. I've ordered a new linkage but fixed it back temporarily for now. Thanks for your help!

Mine went yesterday morning as well. Can't grumble, it's been on there at least 16 years!! New small linkage part ordered from VW Heritage - they now have two left in stock and the part is now discontinued. Just though i'd let y'all know. Cheers.